PDA

View Full Version : ADVISE NEEDED

lly198275
15-03-2004, 10:14 PM
i've just joined so am new to the forum, but i own a jdm ef9 civic, i've added a cai and full exhaust system de-cat. am planning to uprate my cams and maybe the valves, i would like to still keep the car drivable for daily trips, what i really wanna do is increase the power on the low end, any ideas not being too expensive.

2ds
16-03-2004, 04:17 AM
which engine do you have in there ?

-2ds

OLM-02R
16-03-2004, 05:24 AM
jdm b16a :D :D

[[d a n n y]]
16-03-2004, 09:49 AM
what size is your exhast?

2? 2.1/4? 2.5?

McChook
16-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Simple and chap modification, keeping it nice. Integra Type R cams and valves springs (no need for valve upgrade, but if you really want to Ferrea Stainless valves...) If you are really lucky, Civic TR cams, maybe some Toda A's. All of those cams need the Type R cams minimum. Alternatively you can buy some Iskandarian (Isky) valves springs for around $150 a set.

wynode
16-03-2004, 01:53 PM
what i really wanna do is increase the power on the low end

There is usually a sacrifice in low end to gain a good top end.....and vice versa.

lly198275
17-03-2004, 08:23 PM
i've got the jdm b16a, i know i will lose out on the top end, but just want it to speed up to the vtec point, don't know what size the exhaust is but it's a full power flow s/s system, where is the best place for me to find the ITR cams or parts? also i was thinking about adding a power boost valve which you can adjust the fuel pressure is it worth it? will a H&R coilovers from a EG civic fit onto my EF9 cause both cars have the fork type strut.

hondar
18-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Simple and chap modification, keeping it nice. Integra Type R cams and valves springs (no need for valve upgrade, but if you really want to Ferrea Stainless valves...)

why no valves upgrade? And whats the design of Ferrea Stainless valves.

Just curious... :)

McChook
18-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Valves won't make a lot of power, maybe 3bhp
The Ferreas are stainless. We are using them in the race car now.
Do an internet search, I won't spoon feed you

hondar
18-03-2004, 12:24 PM
to my understanding the valves upgrad in order to increase airflow efficiency and and keep up with the higher demand placed on them by the fuel injection system.

I mean using higher lift and longer duration cams like ITR or CTR compared to b16 cams, wont u need more airflow for combustion?

Dont get me wrong. I have heard Ferreas valves b4 and thought i just want to know why you make that choice of using it. Since you have used it, there must be reason why you put it. I think it is helpful for lly198275 to know why u choose them and us as well.

we are here to learn and will never be able to cover every single aftermarket parts that is available on the market. since you know about it, thats why i asked the question. i didnt mean anything else besides just want to hear whats the design like? is it a 3 angle valve job, 5 angle valve jobs or etc, etc...

:) :)

LatinoHatchCrap
22-03-2004, 08:08 PM
tuning is wot you need. talk to james (blkcrx) he can help you with that :thumbsup:

McChook
22-03-2004, 11:36 PM
to my understanding the valves upgrad in order to increase airflow efficiency and and keep up with the higher demand placed on them by the fuel injection system.

I mean using higher lift and longer duration cams like ITR or CTR compared to b16 cams, wont u need more airflow for combustion?

Dont get me wrong. I have heard Ferreas valves b4 and thought i just want to know why you make that choice of using it. Since you have used it, there must be reason why you put it. I think it is helpful for lly198275 to know why u choose them and us as well.

we are here to learn and will never be able to cover every single aftermarket parts that is available on the market. since you know about it, thats why i asked the question. i didnt mean anything else besides just want to hear whats the design like? is it a 3 angle valve job, 5 angle valve jobs or etc, etc...

:) :)

Valves will not make any difference. Size of valves does not have any effect on what you are talking about. I suggest that if you want to know why you would need to change valves you read up on it.

Basically, NO. Not requires. VALVE SPRINGS are required, not valves.

We use the Ferreas because they are nice and cheap, and do the job. Unlike Titanium valves, stainless valves don't need to be changed twice a racing year. They are too light and hence fragile. We use the Ferreas as they are stainless and light enough to make a few horsepower difference (moving part unsprung weight). There isn;t a whole lot too it, it really isn;t a big decision. We chose Ferreas, I can tell you they are doing the job nicely.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime. http://www.ask.com and search for b-series honda data. there is a lot to be learnt, and talking about valves so early in a modified engine is pretty unusual. Hit the books.

Right now I think for the person in question, should be spending the money on something else.