PDA

View Full Version : installing aftermarket camshafts

j-specAccord
14-11-2005, 05:27 PM
is there a special process for installing aftermarket camshafts replacing the factory camshafts as i am attempting to swap them. i am swapping them along with skunk2 stage 2 springs, retainers, and valves into my H22's head and i would just like to know if there a certain way to install them that is different from the engine specifications book. i.e tourque settings and so on.

BLKCRX
14-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Personally I would remove the cylinder head, get it acid dipped, port match and polish both intake and exhaust ports, followed by resurfacing the head. Replace the stock head bolts with a set of ARP head studs, (don’t re use the same factory bolts they tend to stretch) install a VRS head gasket kit replacing all seals, check your valve guides for clearance, and reseat your new valves to insure a perfect seal, whilst your at it send your injectors off to be cleaned, and acid dip your intake manifold and look at having that ported / honed where necessary. Skunk 2 recommend 7” valve clearance on a cold engine for the intake cam, and 8” clearance on the exhaust, although double check these tolerances with the cam spec sheet you should have got with your cams. Torque your head to ARP recommended settings. Of course I recommend all of this work be done by a professionally and trained performance workshop. Last thing you want is for the cylinder head to loose power due to incorrect porting, or burn oil due to incorrect installation.
Also whilst your at it replace your h22 balance belt, the timing belt, water pump etc.. and do a fill engine service. Oh make sure you dial in the cam’s correctly using a dial indicator.

Apart from that your good to go. Stage 2 skunk cams work really really really well !!

Regards James

pillow
14-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Skunk 2 recommend 7” valve clearance on a cold engine for the intake cam, and 8” clearance on the exhaust, although double check these tolerances with the cam spec sheet you should have got with your cams.

Wouldn't that be 0.007" and 0.008" James?

Weq
15-11-2005, 09:24 PM
nothing special involved. just make sure u set the correct valve lash, mark the timing parts and un/torque all the cam caps down to spec.

wynode
15-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Also check your ignition timing afterwards.