PDA

View Full Version : how do short shifters work??

ah789454
16-03-2004, 06:59 AM
i drove my mates civic with a short shifter and i want one. i actually thought the gear stick is suppose the be shorter but not really. so how does is work??

fueltank
16-03-2004, 08:23 AM
I think they change the pivot point.
It's shorter but more effort is needed from my experience.

weezer
16-03-2004, 09:19 AM
the bottom part of the shifter is actually longer, so the actual thow is shorten because you dont have to move it as far to get it in gear.

VTEC16
16-03-2004, 11:14 AM
A lot of people complain that it is much harder to put into gear....and that after a while their synchros are ruined....a google search will tell you more.

wynode
16-03-2004, 01:48 PM
the bottom part of the shifter is actually longer, so the actual thow is shorten because you dont have to move it as far to get it in gear.

Otherway around. The bottom part is SHORTER, hence it moves less, but you require more effort. Just simple mechanics (Levers!)

Say your stuck on the top of the big ben clock tower and want to move the minute hand.........if you hang on the end of it, you require less effort, but have to cover more distance (as opposed to hanging on the the part closest to the centre which requires more effort, but less movement to move it the same distance.

Sorry about the poor metaphor :|

_Wing_
16-03-2004, 04:25 PM

Otherway around. The bottom part is SHORTER, hence it moves less...

wynode is wrong.
weezer is right.
You [wynode] even explained why you are wrong :P

VTEC16
16-03-2004, 05:26 PM
sorry wynode :P

joneblaze
16-03-2004, 06:08 PM
bah... call urself a bloody admin.... lol..j/k brother. :)
Heehee.."big ben"... that little scenario got me so lost... *sigh*

btw, besides quicker shifting during straight line races and downshifting during corners etc, are there any non obvious mechanical "advantages" to installing a s/shifter?
I've seen quotes that alot of them reduce the throw by 40% or so?
Ben's got one in the 200 i think... that felt real nice.....

IAmATeaf
16-03-2004, 07:20 PM

Otherway around. The bottom part is SHORTER, hence it moves less, but you require more effort. Just simple mechanics (Levers!)

Say your stuck on the top of the big ben clock tower and want to move the minute hand.........if you hang on the end of it, you require less effort, but have to cover more distance (as opposed to hanging on the the part closest to the centre which requires more effort, but less movement to move it the same distance.

Sorry about the poor metaphor :|

No ideas about short shifters but your statement above from a mechanical point of view is wrong, if the bottom part is shorter then the top would need to moved more in order to get the bottom to shift, now if your statement were reversed in that the bottom was longer then the same amount of travel on the top would result in a greater travel of the bottom.

Simple mechanics, me thinks.

tanghy
16-03-2004, 08:14 PM
refer to this

http://www.jdmyard.com/used/110-1035_IMG.jpg

the pivot point is RAISED

wynode
16-03-2004, 08:23 PM
My bad.......yes you are correct.........i muddled that all up....... :(

A'PEXi
16-03-2004, 09:10 PM
sorry cant read japanese :P