PDA

View Full Version : Is It True?

h22a jdm
15-11-2005, 07:26 AM
IS IT TRUE when vtec kicks in it burns oil?

seihoa
15-11-2005, 07:35 AM
YES ! only alil

bennjamin
15-11-2005, 09:25 AM
yes vtec uses more oil than normal head operation.Makes sense since the act of "VTEC y0" requires more oil flow too.

But afaik the oil is actually "burnt/used" via blowby (via the PCV system) - generally the more you rev your car the more oil is used.

BlitZ
15-11-2005, 10:05 AM
great to hear its normal

but ive heard of doch vtec not burning a drop of oiil.. even after a track day...

Its a real confusing topic for me..

BiGANG
17-11-2005, 10:59 PM
i dont know if this is relevant, but i noticed when i was using mineral or semi synthetic oil my car used to burn heaps more oil than it does now with fully synthetic oil. I used to top up before 5000kays usually about a bit less than a litre, Now i can let it go until the 5000kays easy or more if i really wanted to.

Also, i have heard honda uses low friction piston rings with vtec motors to help them rev a bit more freely, this is why the blowby is more evident than other cars.

steve
18-11-2005, 07:47 PM
hmm, interesting thread.

I have always thought my car used abit of oil (comparing mostly to nissan turbo's, as most of my mates have) glad to hear i aint the only 1:)

Lukezen27
18-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Well I just got my D16Y1 rebuilt and its dosen't use one drop as far as I can tell and I've been driving her very very hard :D

I VTec all day and all night so I'm thinking its bad ring wear in most cases

I'm told by the guys who rebuilt my motor VTec's do use more oil than other cars but it must be a very samll amount :thumbsup:

Cheer's Luke