PDA

View Full Version : Brake problems

Kazaf
16-11-2005, 08:07 AM
My brakes are sh!tting me at the moment.
The first problem are the noises it makes, my right rear wheel makes a squeeking noise when the wheel moves.
My left wheeel makes a bad noise like metal scraping when I brake.

Now I'm not mechanic or a technical guy, and dont know much but someone's got to have a starting point to learn.

I may suspect its that clip that's making the noise? Have also heard that when the brake pads are finished the clip scraping on the disc is a sign and I should change the brake pads?

Hope somebody can help, these noise are sh!tting me and sounds very uncool!

The second problem is the bleeding of the brakes. (I've did a search)
Have a problem in hot weathers were I brake and it would sink to the floor and the car would move at times even though I'm flooring the brakes. Not very strong and I do worry in really hot weathers. In cold weathers of course is perfectly fine.

Have did a search and read about bleeding and changing master cylinder, someone please expand on that? Dont really get it.

Cheers
Thanks in advance

Astro
16-11-2005, 08:31 AM
firstly...looks like ur in need of new brake pads as the noise grinding means ur on the brake pad indicators...time to replace them mate.

as for the brake pedal feel, i would change the brake fluids just in case and also change the master cylinder too.

Kazaf
16-11-2005, 08:59 AM
What's a master cylinder?
And would bleeding the brakes mean changing the brake fluid?
Just pumping the brakes until it is all gone?
If not, how would I change it?

bennjamin
16-11-2005, 09:13 AM
your brake pads require more effort when they are worn down to teh indicators - feeling quite hard and unresponsive...my guess is yes , you need new brake pads.

The master cylinder is the large round cylinder sitting on your firewall with a small resevior poking out of it ( on the drivers side)
"bleeding brakes" means "changing brake fluid". You pump the fluid thru each brake caliper , and replace the old liquid and air bubbles for fresh fluid.

I just realised there isnt a DIY brake fluid change - if ya need help mate shoot us a PM.
Otherwise its fairly straight forward.

seihoa
16-11-2005, 09:48 AM
i had the same prob with the flooring the brake on hot days because the master cylinder was leaking and during hot weather it jst makes the prob visible...
so best thing is to change the master cylinder... cost you arnd 150ish ...
also with the brake pads i think you should check if they r worn out or not =]

Vivski
16-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Is the hot weather problem the master cylinder for sure?

If you dont feel confident doing it yourself, you could take it to a mechanic and they'll sort it out for you. I'm not in Sydney, so I can't recommend a good brake place.

If you're driving, need to stop and there are no brakes, pump the pedal. Anything brakes related isn't worth risking so if it's a problem, get onto it soon.

Kazaf
16-11-2005, 11:24 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3IMG_4739-med.jpg
This is the master cylinder right?

bennjamin
16-11-2005, 11:30 AM
yes ! And thats my car too lol.

Kazaf
16-11-2005, 11:35 AM
hehehe, yeh was reading one of your brillian reviews.
I'll see if I can change the brake pads today, then maybe tomorrow I'll bleed the brake fluid.
Hope all goes well.

Kazaf
16-11-2005, 11:46 AM
What are some good pads to change to?
I've seen egSi change into Endless blue brake pads and it looks realy nice.
http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_zafter.JPG

Are these brake pads any good? Good brand?

ALSO, as the left rear wheels make a noise when I drive.
a squeeking noise even though I do not press the brakes, does it still involve the brakes that's making the noise?

j3z3z
16-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes its would be the pins in the pads (the brake pad indicators) making the squelling noise this meaning your pads are dead.... Always change all pads when doing a pad change left, right front and back, otherwise your car will pull to one side under braking..Also this squelling noise will not occur under braking at first but the more bung your pads become the worse it will get.
If its your brake fluid you will notice when you drive the handbrake light will stay on or it will go on intermitently.

Paul1985
16-11-2005, 01:25 PM
those pads by Trav (egSi) are probably more for race applications and expensive.. they might not be though.

All you need if its your street driven car would be some pads such as Bendix which you can pick up from places such as autobarn. Thats what i put in my car.. they cost me $70.

I used anti-squeel on them when i installed them but now they're squeeling a bit!!

Bumble B
16-11-2005, 11:36 PM
I had the same problem too with my brakes (Brake pedal sinking to floor). I didn't really notice any difference between hot or cold weather though. Would seem to happen randomly. Got brake fluid changed but didn't make any difference. Got brake pads & discs changed and in the past 2 months, the brake issue has only happened once. I'm still worried though. Let me know how you end up solving this problem.