PDA

View Full Version : How to remove windscreen wipers on an EK civic?

DomenEK
16-11-2005, 11:26 AM
The black paint on my windscreen wipers is starting to fade/come off and its almost back to bare metal in some paces.

How do I remove the wipers so I can sand them back and respray them? I couldn't find an answer when I searched.

Thanks in advance.

[R]
16-11-2005, 03:36 PM
havent checked if it was any different to the eg.. but if it is, at the base of the wipers, there should be approx a 14mm bolt which comes off. once you get both bolts off the front, remove the wipers from the base. then just sand back, remove wiper blades then spray. the rear wiper on the eg is 10mm.. and repeat the same process.. i assume that the procedure would be the same for both cars, maybe just the bolt size may differ.... hope that kinda helps. oh and i just went to bursons and got high temp black paint for $11 and works like a charm!!

ekslut
16-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Agreed, I've done this a few times before as well, and its just as [R] said. Also, you might need fold the wiper back, so it points up before they will acually pull off. This caught me out before, couldn't work out why they weren't coming off :rolleyes:

[R]
16-11-2005, 05:33 PM
yes good point.. make sure to fold em back so they come off with no dramas!

DomenEK
16-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys. Do I need to apply a clear coat after?

[R]
16-11-2005, 05:35 PM
you can.. i didn't.. but probably would look better if you did.

LowEk
16-11-2005, 05:45 PM
dunno if you should or not but try it my brother painted his and they faded not long after do it and let me know how you go with it.

cheers.

Paul1985
16-11-2005, 05:57 PM
real easy, just as R said.. when you put them back on, if your windscreen wipers arent working its probably because you didnt tighten the bolts down enough.

i didnt sand mine back and i used cheap spray from supercheap and they're still looking good and that was about 9 months ago (was too lazy to sand it back lol)

mini_s2000
16-11-2005, 06:40 PM
you dont need a clear coat if you use a high gloss spray paint because it leaves a nice finish anyway

[R]
16-11-2005, 11:49 PM
hehe i didnt sand mine back either.. i was too lazy.
was enough effort just taking them off.. but yeh i was quite happy with the end result..

**Ghost**
17-11-2005, 01:11 AM
i've done this on my ek... its easier if u open the bonnet right up first, makes it easier to access the 14mm bolt... i had trouble fitting the rachet into the space between bonnet/wiper if i remember correctingly until i opened the bonnet right up

eg_08_wa
17-11-2005, 02:08 AM
hahaha y not just do it ghetto style and jus get like a old bed cloth or sumthing u dont want anymore and cover ur windscreen and bonnet..i dun realli think a spray can is gonan spray all over the place worked fine 4 me last time i did it...dont really c the point in taking off :D

[R]
17-11-2005, 12:06 PM
then you'd get it on the wiper blades.. everyone i guess has their own way.. but if you wanna get it right in all areas of the wipers, then it would be best to remove them..

typicalmale
17-11-2005, 12:24 PM
']hehe i didnt sand mine back either.. i was too lazy.
was enough effort just taking them off.. but yeh i was quite happy with the end result..

i second that! exactly how i felt when i did mine a lil while ago. haha

[R]
17-11-2005, 12:51 PM
i did two sets when i sprayed mine last week..
one for my mate's car and my car.. i had to sand his..
by the time i got to mine.. i cbf! lol :P

joyride
17-11-2005, 01:06 PM
someone do a DIY for the noobs out there. :o

[R]
17-11-2005, 09:57 PM
i wouldnt mind doing another one for someone if they can supply the paint and digicam..
if anyone in melb wants one done.. holla @ me.. i wouldnt mind helping out.

ek
20-11-2005, 12:47 AM
DIY guide? Man its not that hard. Maybe when I get around to doing mine, I'll take some happy snaps.

About time I did mine too, the faded paint off the wiper has shit me ever since I got the car (nearly 4 years ago :))