PDA

View Full Version : Best springs to lower an S2000??

BLKS2K
16-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Hey...Im looking to lower my S2000 but have no idea what springs to go for. Im not after a big drop so there's no point in changing shocks just yet. Im looking at H&Rs but they might not be low enough (15mm front-20mm rear)) I want to lower it by 25-30mm MAX as i have 19s on it and dont want them to rub. Can anyone recommend me some springs that will give it a nice drop but remain smooth on the road...Thanks

dc4t
16-11-2005, 05:32 PM
try eibach ;)

he-tec
17-11-2005, 05:24 PM
or lovells even

aozora
17-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Drop in height will have a little to do with the need for shocks/dampers, but it's more the change in spring rate. But both of those though will wear out the shocks and your ride will be ruined and just feel unpredictable and bouncy.
Any brand will do fine most of the time, but just enquire into the spring rate, on street anything below 6kg will still be comfortable. But the higher it is, the more uncomfortable it will be.

CONAN
18-11-2005, 01:37 PM
jumbos!!

BLKS2K
18-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks for ur suggestions...i'll probably go for a set of Tein Type S springs i can get them for a good price from America :)

.::F[L]Y::.
18-11-2005, 11:31 PM
i need springs too...runninng on dodgy ass compressed springs atm.

BLKS2K how much are u getting ur springs for buddy? how low can they go?

blusir2
19-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Drop in height will have a little to do with the need for shocks/dampers, but it's more the change in spring rate. But both of those though will wear out the shocks and your ride will be ruined and just feel unpredictable and bouncy.
Any brand will do fine most of the time, but just enquire into the spring rate, on street anything below 6kg will still be comfortable. But the higher it is, the more uncomfortable it will be.

ur info is very accurate and good man.. except that a drop in spring height "does" have a lot to do with ur shocks/dampers. As u lower ur spring u decrease the travel of ur shock piston which in turn decreases the effectiveness of them dampening ur ride. if lowered too much it can cause the the shock tops to hit the bump stops which will cause u to lose control and in-advertantly crash... so do not.. i repeat do not lower ur car too much.. especially with 19's u will have a very bumpy ride due to the low profile of ur tires.. I am also lookin at new suspension for my S2K.. but will probably go for the TODA fightex as i had them on my civic before... they are very very very good...

BLKS2K
19-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Fly- Found a guy on ebay america who can do them for about $280AUD shipped. Just waiting to see how long they will take to get here...very good price though

blusir2- 19s didnt make much of a difference at all. a few on my mates have s2k's and they also found it suprising that the ride has hardly been affected. I'll notice more of a difference once i lower it though, hopefully not too much it will only be 25mm lower anyway

aozora
20-11-2005, 03:56 AM
blusir2... thanks :) I don't think most decent manufacturers will make a spring that is that low though... but I could be mistaken, as I haven't looked up any AP1 springs... ever ahha. You're definately right though should it be too low...!

panda
21-11-2005, 05:24 PM
i thought s2k shocks were good enough to handle aftermarket springs?

in my opinion the stock ride is quite stiff as is and handles good, but a drop in height is always a good thing

blusir2
21-11-2005, 06:42 PM
i thought s2k shocks were good enough to handle aftermarket springs?

in my opinion the stock ride is quite stiff as is and handles good, but a drop in height is always a good thing

thats quite true.. i was very sur[rised at the bound and rebound rates of the S2K shocks.. but only the older models have a firmer shock absorber...

i meant that lowering the car too much with springs that are too low is a problem.. if u are only lowering it a couple of centimetres it will be fine...

too low means decreased travel of the shock as the piston is always situated much lower in the shock body.. results of this could mean hitting the bump stop and ur car bouncing off the road momentarily... not a desired effect.. hahaha

panda
30-11-2005, 10:10 AM
thats quite true.. i was very sur[rised at the bound and rebound rates of the S2K shocks.. but only the older models have a firmer shock absorber...

i meant that lowering the car too much with springs that are too low is a problem.. if u are only lowering it a couple of centimetres it will be fine...

too low means decreased travel of the shock as the piston is always situated much lower in the shock body.. results of this could mean hitting the bump stop and ur car bouncing off the road momentarily... not a desired effect.. hahaha

what do you think is the lowest you can lower from stock avoiding the situation you just described?

blusir2
30-11-2005, 12:09 PM
what do you think is the lowest you can lower from stock avoiding the situation you just described?

with the stock rims and tyre setup which is 55 profile at the front and 50 at the rear i wouldnt really go anymore lower than 2.5 inches...

after that the car wont handle that good anywayz... the shocks wun be able to keep up with the spring rate..

i always say get a set off coilovers similar to the TODA Fightex Dual adjusts for a nice car... u can change the height by changing the height of the shock body so that u dun have to change the spring rate like the older designs of coilovers... then u can ride low and still have excellent handling..

im ordering mine from work soon... if u are interested in coilovers come down to the workshop and we can show a set from another car... they are all aluminium and anodized for durability... u know where the TODA workshop is right?? its in ingleburn.. williamson avenue..