PDA

View Full Version : Best Rear Swaybar to get for EG civic Hatch.

TYPE-ONE
16-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Yo. Just wondering what is the best swaybar to get for an EG hatch. Is DC2R the best. Please write a little testimonial for the bar also. Cheers.

bennjamin
16-11-2005, 11:18 PM
DC2R is too thick for EG subframe - EG subframe is too weak IMO.

Just buy a local WHITELINE 20/22mm adjustable rear swaybar and be happy.

dcdc
17-11-2005, 12:30 AM
They have reinforcement kits to go with the ITR swaybars

sivic
17-11-2005, 01:20 AM
if you get a 22mm swaybar then you'll need heavy duty reinforcement mounts anyway.
so if you do them then you can use a DC2R swaybar which is 23mm.
just depends on how much you can get one for. the whiteline 22mm is pretty good

type one
17-11-2005, 10:51 AM
DC2R rear swaybar is 22mm...

EG hatch only needs 17mm -19mm... anything bigger and its just for show.

VTi_b0i
17-11-2005, 10:55 AM
wat bout sedan? same issue? only 19mm needed?

string
17-11-2005, 01:09 PM

You can't be serious?

There are so many other variables to take into account that your "advice" is utter garbage.

incoming
17-11-2005, 01:14 PM
i cant really say whats best cos i havent tried differnt brand sway bars

but i have a whiteline 22m adjustable sway kit and its pretty friggen awesome on my EG..
bang for ur buck

string
17-11-2005, 01:19 PM
i cant really say whats best cos i havent tried differnt brand sway bars

but i have a whiteline 22m adjustable sway kit and its pretty friggen awesome on my EG..
bang for ur buck
I have the same bar on my DA... What are your spring rates?

type one
17-11-2005, 01:35 PM
You can't be serious?

There are so many other variables to take into account that your "advice" is utter garbage.

please elaborate for all of us... let us know what all the "other" variables are and how they in turn counteract my assumption of rear sway bar size. I'd be happy to hear your opinion on this.

incoming
17-11-2005, 01:44 PM
I have the same bar on my DA... What are your spring rates?

lol dude i have no idea

just that i got koni adjustables and eibach springs... really stiff sussy

IMO handles way better then my friends dc2r

TYPE-ONE
17-11-2005, 02:29 PM
i bort a dc2r front swaybar alreadi. Trying to find a EK9 rear.

string
17-11-2005, 03:14 PM
please elaborate for all of us... let us know what all the "other" variables are and how they in turn counteract my assumption of rear sway bar size. I'd be happy to hear your opinion on this.
Let's say I am running 100lb/in springs, and I am tracking this car. 20mm too big now?

How can you claim that an EG only needs a small bar. It weighs a similar ammount to the Type-R and has a similar wheelbase and weigh distribution, yet, the Type-R has a 22mm/23mm rear swaybar. Obviously that must be for show?

type one
17-11-2005, 03:34 PM
The R also has a much stiffer chassis than a stocky EG? Or is that no a variable that you are concerned about? I wasn't aware that this person was tracking their car were you? Or did you just assume this to be the case and decide that this was enough to pipe up with your 100pound/in springs?

FFS - horses for courses man if the person who posted knew about swaybars and spring rates and chassis rigidity would they be asking about what size rear swaybar to use?

common sense plays some part in answering posts but i guess not for Mr "one up everyone"...

peace.

string
17-11-2005, 03:43 PM
The R also has a much stiffer chassis than a stocky EG? Or is that no a variable that you are concerned about? I wasn't aware that this person was tracking their car were you? Or did you just assume this to be the case and decide that this was enough to pipe up with your 100pound/in springs?

Well you obviously made the assumption that they *weren't* tracking their car, since you made the blanket statement that any larger than 19mm was only for "show".

If the original poster was not intending on tracking his car or driving it hard around corners, he wouldn't be asking about a swaybar.

Eitherway, I was simply poking at your silly generalisation. Swaybars are a perfectly good way to get your total spring rate, and with less than super stiff springs, greater than 19mm is often required.

TYPE-ONE
17-11-2005, 05:44 PM
the car will be used for touge. i intend to get alot of braces. and coilovers.

bennjamin
17-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Well you obviously made the assumption that they *weren't* tracking their car, since you made the blanket statement that any larger than 19mm was only for "show".

If the original poster was not intending on tracking his car or driving it hard around corners, he wouldn't be asking about a swaybar.

Eitherway, I was simply poking at your silly generalisation. Swaybars are a perfectly good way to get your total spring rate, and with less than super stiff springs, greater than 19mm is often required.

Nothing like a lil underpoiwered EG hammering aroudn tight corners with a nice rear swaybar :thumbsup:
BTW one of the more comfortable yet controllable cars ive ever been in was a stock Si sedan , with stock suspension and only front castor kit / frotn and rear swaybar upgrades.

I havent tracked my own current car yet - YET i am running upgraded front and rear whiteline swaybars...front = ? but rear = 22mm adjustable. I am also running whitleine springs (not too stiff ) but i can say that i would like a larger rear bar if possible/safe !

type one
17-11-2005, 06:40 PM
where do you touge? with your friends in the mountains initial D style? c'mon i may not be the brightest fool around but get some of your best drivers to set up your suspension in an EG and biggest is not always the best - my point is clearly that clearly state your aims - with uprated bushes and chassis strenghtening a 24mm swaybar on an EG civic will still threaten, if not tear your subframe... there is a member on this board who ran a 22mm and this happened... so choose carefully and do your research

and the comment re "he wouldn'st ask if he wasn't going to" as you may soon find out there are a lot of riceboys around who believe bigger and most expensive is the best so rather than sorting out the shit from the shovel i'd rather just be conservative.

I won't argue this topic anymore. I still believe that > 19mm on an EG is over kill and is not necessary, whether it be touge, track, road whatever.

TYPE-ONE
17-11-2005, 06:49 PM
where can i find a 19mm rear sway?

type one
17-11-2005, 08:25 PM
whiteline makes one speak to Trav aka underground imports.

man.exe
17-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Nothing like a lil underpoiwered EG hammering aroudn tight corners with a nice rear swaybar
BTW one of the more comfortable yet controllable cars ive ever been in was a stock Si sedan , with stock suspension and only front castor kit / frotn and rear swaybar upgrades.

That's exactly my setup except on an integra + tie bar. It's a perfect blend of driver comfort and performance.

Get a whiteline bar with heavy duty mounts. Won't break your subframe.

EG5[KRT]
17-11-2005, 10:47 PM
i think the size of the rear sway bar is up 2 the driver and how they drive.

some people drive better with oversteer ... or some like a more neutral steering...

the bigger the diameter the more oversteer... until u upgrade the front sway bar to similar specs.

if your car is used for daily driving on street etc.. and if u are used to a neutral steering car i would just get the whiteline replacement.which is similar size but stronger material.

if you go to track get the uprated sway bar and get a similar spec uprated front sway bar to have a more neutral steering and that will give u less body roll.i think if you dont upgrade the front at the same time you will get excessive oversteer and that in a FWD is pretty scary .. coz u dont have much control of the car...

but yeah thats my opinion.

string
18-11-2005, 01:11 AM
']i think the size of the rear sway bar is up 2 the driver and how they drive.

some people drive better with oversteer ... or some like a more neutral steering...

the bigger the diameter the more oversteer... until u upgrade the front sway bar to similar specs.

if your car is used for daily driving on street etc.. and if u are used to a neutral steering car i would just get the whiteline replacement.which is similar size but stronger material.

if you go to track get the uprated sway bar and get a similar spec uprated front sway bar to have a more neutral steering and that will give u less body roll.i think if you dont upgrade the front at the same time you will get excessive oversteer and that in a FWD is pretty scary .. coz u dont have much control of the car...

but yeah thats my opinion.
I'm going to assume that you havn't driven a fwd car with a large (or even larger than stock) rear swaybar before, because it will give far from "excessive oversteer".

sivic
18-11-2005, 01:30 AM
22mm all the way. absolutely fine if you use heavy duty mounts.
dont worry you aren't going to get excessive oversteer. not even close. the only way this will happen is if you go into a corner too hot and back off the throttle too much, hence shifting weight to the front - back swings round.
stay commited and you'll be fine hehe.
mind you, i have a sedan so no doubt it would be more evident in a hatch. still, i would choose a 22mm bar.
with subframe reinforcement you could still use a JDM DC2R swaybar (23mm) or CTR bar (22mm)
but for FWD you really dont have to worry about oversteer unless you start going wrong with your rear toe settings. oversteer can be counteracted with some good ol' FWD power on understeer:thumbsup:

bennjamin
18-11-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm going to assume that you havn't driven a fwd car with a large (or even larger than stock) rear swaybar before, because it will give far from "excessive oversteer".

On the limit with varibles such as grip and speed and inertia - it will give oversteer.

Only lifting off will give you "excessive oversteer"

type one
18-11-2005, 02:21 PM
who was bragging? not a me - i was merely indicating that it was indeed possible to induce over steer in a car with an already large swaybar and get what i would deem "excessive oversteer"... but like i said as well i could just be a crappy driver... :)

bennjamin
18-11-2005, 02:25 PM
you know where im coming from - we try to keep all chit chat about racing/drifiting/ etc out of Ozhonda :)

anyway has anyone got a 19mm swaybar on a EG ? AFAIK there is no such thing locally made ?!?
I had a whiteline 18mm swaybar previous to my 22mm unit...

type one
18-11-2005, 02:29 PM
I am sure trav has tried to sell me a 19mm before...in any case asked for one and he said he could supply.

Paul1985
18-11-2005, 02:40 PM
what im wondering, is if someone does decide to go with the larger rear ITR bar, how strong are the reinforcement kits??

BlitZ
21-11-2005, 03:11 PM

as mentioned by someone else horses for courses.....

22mm rear and std front (under 20mm) is abit of an overkill ... if u upgrade both front and rear and springs rates.. then going for a 22mm rear wuld definitly be an advantage..

depends on your setup really.........

but as mentioned in another post

running 100lbs and 22mm rear is very stupid thing to do.