PDA

View Full Version : vtec wiring

ToFuBoi
16-11-2005, 08:29 PM
hey i have an eg9 but when i bought it it had a d16a8 in it... im looking at swapping engines and need to know if i still have my original vtec wiring.. how do i go about doing this as the person doing my swap said it will cost a bit more if i dont have the wiring

any help appreciated

cheers, tofu

ECU-MAN
16-11-2005, 10:53 PM
http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/pics/ecu.jpg

the Vtec wire should still be there on your Cabin to Enginebay loom

have a look at your ECU wiring and see if it is still there, I dont see any reson why it wouldnt

michael_antoi
16-11-2005, 11:01 PM
i dont understand why the vtec wire would exist on the cabin to engine loom if he owns a d16a8?

ECU-MAN
16-11-2005, 11:02 PM
he has an EG9,

the D16A8 was put in

read his post above

michael_antoi
16-11-2005, 11:03 PM
oh right, my bad..

yeh wat ecu-man said

:)

Jr
16-11-2005, 11:15 PM
as the person doing my swap said it will cost a bit more if i dont have the wiring

any help appreciated

cheers, tofu

Even if the wire's are not there, i cant see why it will cost a fair bit more, I did a DIY job of my Vtec wiring and it isnt that hard 20mins with the right tools.

ToFuBoi
17-11-2005, 12:41 AM
the Vtec wire should still be there on your Cabin to Enginebay loom

have a look at your ECU wiring and see if it is still there, I dont see any reson why it wouldnt

where is the ecu wiring?... cabin to enginebay loom? just point me in the direction and i'll have a look

thanks for the replys guys.. really appreciated

cheers, tofu

ECU-MAN
17-11-2005, 08:05 AM
look at the passangers side footwell, on the side

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2/1329b225-med.jpg

VT3C
17-11-2005, 03:54 PM
tofu.. pop over on Sunday and i'll take a look for you.. my car is soooo mega grotty i'll prob be washing it all day..

FYI OZ Honda peeps, this car was a private import EG9 back when the car was almost new and the original owner registered it as an Aussie Si rather than a Jap' SiR so he could avoid compliance.. not sure why he did that tho cause if it was a personal/private import it can be licensed anyway.

Now as the D16 was from another OBD1 EG, i'd say they just unplugged the loom at the shock-towers and then plugged in the D16 Engine harness.. so the firewall-side harness should be the original VTEC version. as it'd have required more effort to remove it than not.

ToFuBoi
17-11-2005, 05:20 PM
cheers alll... thanks ecu man and vt3c you have an email!!!

ToFuBoi
17-11-2005, 05:43 PM
ok just checked.. it looks like the one you pointed out except there is no wire coming out of that point and some mofo has written on the casing "honda civic 94 d16y"

guess its good to go then? no need to fool around just drop it like the b16s hottttt then plug and play?

ECU-MAN
17-11-2005, 09:08 PM
you will have to mod or replace your ecu, to suit a B16A

so your saying there is no wire coming out of A4 ???

ToFuBoi
21-11-2005, 07:46 PM
hey ecu man yeh there is no wire coming out of A4 but on checking the 2nd time there are many wires coming out from where all the wires are and just taped up... also there are other wires that have been joined in with other wires... i wrote these down so hope u can make sense of it..

[wires coming out and taped up not connected to anything]

2x yellow wire +green line + grey stripes
white wire + grey stripes
blue/green wire + grey stripes
green wire + white line + brown stripes
brown wire + red line
orange wire + blue line + grey stripes
red wire + blue line

[fat wires connected to thinner wires with electrical tape]
fat blue red orange wires connecting to the B10-16 where a red + blue line came out and was taped up

[wires joined to others]
C2 brown + black line + grey stripes has a wire joined going to b9-16 (didnt want to untape that part as it looked dodge)

A26 red/black + grey stripe joines to C14

hope you can make sense of this .. i will try to post up pics maybe tonight

ECU-MAN
21-11-2005, 08:01 PM
hmm

from what you say about the ecu pins, things are cross wired :) which I doubt. the car wouldnt run.

maybe your not reading the diagram correctly. that one I posted isnt the best quality. you can download the original here. Click here (http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/pics/OBD2to1ab2.jpg)

photos will help if there nice close ups.

at the end of they day just add the VTEC wire to the engine bay to cabin loom.

ToFuBoi
21-11-2005, 08:15 PM
is it that easy? just connecting that one vtec wire and it all should be ok?...

any idea why there would be random wires sitting there taped up?

what i mean about the wires joining for example A26 comes down and some reason it is taped up and splits in to two wires and the other went to C14

ECU-MAN
21-11-2005, 08:36 PM
yeah man its easy as that.
what you do is find the wire you have to connect to, make sure your ignition is off, disconnect the three connectors at the LH shock tower, disconnect your Vtec Solenoid. then use a multi meter in continuity mode to find your wire a the shock tower connector. I went as far as to take the inner white bit from the mating connector and the rubber seal. then fit the propper pin from an old connector, this way its all unplugable. ( then refit the white bit ). You never know your loom might have the wire and connector on the cabin loom side of thoes connectors.

I recon someone has added ifferent connectors, one from a SI, and there are extra bits they had no use for withthe ZC Engine

VT3C
22-11-2005, 04:12 PM
yeah sounds like the unused wires have been cut-off.. SHOULD be all OK when it comes to a B16A.. but like ECU-MAN said, it's not hard to wire the VTEC solenoid (etc) directly to the ECU. I've re-wired a fair bit of mine so that it's NOT ghetto-Spec :)

Rob, I ran out of credit when u SMS'd me on the weekend, give me a call and u can pop over tonight or preferably wednesday after work if you want.

ToFuBoi
22-11-2005, 06:30 PM
sweet np will give u a call tomrow night then.. as tonight is halfprice gelares and movies ^_-