PDA

View Full Version : del sol owners?

rakfint
17-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi All,

I am soon to be purchasing a 92-93 del sol and basically am wanting to ask afew questions, welcome to all opinions, but prefer from owners or people who have driven one quite a bit.

- How easy / hard is the targa top to remove and put into the boot space?? 1 person job I assume??

- How is the car for handleing.. I'm talking if pushed hard through tight corners, obviously it'll be fine or GOOD in normal circumstances.

- Are parts hard to come by for them? I surely know I don't see too many driving around these days...

- Would anyone be keen to meet up with me at a open car cruise to show off the features of a del sol.. maybe even take me for a spin? I know that's a big ask.. but thought i'd throw the question out there

Thats all for now... cheers all :wave:

DLO01
17-11-2005, 03:59 PM
1. The Targa Top is very easy to remove. Definatley a 1 person job. De-latch the handles on the sides of the Top, push it up and take it to your boot where theres a frame which it is stored in and locked in to position. You can even access goods under the top when it is stored as the frame that holds it can be unlatched and tilted to access underneath.

2. I think the del sol handles very well. Not as much potential as your full body civic etc, but I have quite often pushed the little thing and it handles quite well. Theres a bit of understeer as would be expected, but that can be fixed. So yes, good handling

3. Parts are available. Now I am not sure exactly what parts, cause I have not been there done that, but I would have thought all parts were available through Honda parts. Just make sure the targa top rubbers are good when you buy the car, cause they are quite expensive new. And take car of them.

4. I would take you for a spin, but I am in Brizzy. There are quite a few Melbornians out there that have del sols, hopefully they can help you. :thumbsup:

Good luck! :wave:

saxman
17-11-2005, 04:14 PM
the top takes me all of like 20 seconds to take off or put on. You'll figure out the best way to do it for you.

I have a gen 2 crx and a del sol. both with modified suspension(granted the sol is more so). My sol out handles the crx every day of the week. My point isn't that it is a better handling car than a crx, but that with the right mods, it's very capable.

Most parts are intechangable with the civic, so things are easy to come by.

I'd take you for a spin, but I'm much much much further away then DL001

rakfint
17-11-2005, 04:36 PM
haha thanks heaps for the info guys... All very useful info.

Now i just need to find some friendly locals... COME ON MELBOURNE!! :p

MRVTEC
17-11-2005, 05:40 PM
haha thanks heaps for the info guys... All very useful info.

Now i just need to find some friendly locals... COME ON MELBOURNE!! :p

The CRX roof is so light its like holding a massive version of your mobile lol:p

they handle awesome i can go around a nice bend and pretty much stay in the same lane depending on how tight the bends ARE.

i cant take u for a cruise coz im in syd

*ECU-MAN EDIT, no Advertising for nubes, please dont try it again *

pashka
17-11-2005, 07:55 PM
i bought my crx about 2 months ago and i am loving it :) enjoying every moment of driving it:)as for handling after my 180sx its feels like a go karts :)

ECU-MAN
17-11-2005, 09:33 PM
hahaha, the Del Sol does feel like a go kart, they handle really well.

like everyone says, the roof is a peice of cake, I can put it on at a red light with plenty of time to spare. the roof pannel is made of aluminum, so its quite light.

DOCH16
17-11-2005, 10:11 PM
yeh their all right the roof is easy to take off but i would of perfered the electric one
parts r a bitch to come by (tell u y later)
handling no complaints here (stock suspension)
ill take u for i ride where abouts in melb r u
call me and we can arrage a meeting (0431 648 121)
but only in the next 2 weeks after the 2nd dec, no can do

z3lda
17-11-2005, 10:34 PM
i wish they made hardtop del sol -sighs-

Bumble B
17-11-2005, 10:39 PM
I find the roof a little hard to take off by myself. Unlike an MR2, it's all one piece so I have to lean into the centre to hold the weight (ok ok so i'm short AND weak)... Easy as to put into the boot though. :thumbsup:

Targa's are prone to creaking and leaking, so just be weary... Good luck with your purchase!

z3lda
17-11-2005, 10:54 PM
mine dont leak and dont creak.
get some lube spray. works wonders.
look after the seals cuz it cost 5 arms and 3 legs to replace.

Bumble B
17-11-2005, 11:04 PM
LOL Zelda... can I use your arms and legs? :)

aaronng
17-11-2005, 11:07 PM
303 protectant will keep those seals soft and moist. :)

z3lda
17-11-2005, 11:12 PM
u will still need 1 more arm dear... :)

if the seals are moist and soft, when u take off the roof ur hands will be all black. ahah.

wish del sols came in a hardtop version so that the A and B pillars could of been lighter.....mofo hondas...

rakfint
18-11-2005, 10:26 AM
WOHOO I've scored a ride :p

I have been curious about the creaking or just general noise that may come from the targa...

As for removal.. I am a pretty short guy so hope that dosn't make it harder for me :p I guess i'll just have to lower the biatch so giv myself some more space haha

thanks all