PDA

View Full Version : ek civic- lowered- shocks

ABZY
17-11-2005, 05:12 PM
hey all, i have some adjustable springs in my car and the other day i took out the adjuster and just put the spring back in, i have 18s and the rear gaurds is nearlly at the rim :D:D the problem i am having is i now is have no travel left in my shock and its bottoming out frequenlty... i've rang a few places down here and none have lowered shocks listed for it. i was wondering if anyone here knew where i mite be able to get some from or wot i could do to stop the problem, i've been told to get coilovers but i don't have the biggest amount of money at the moment.

all help would be apprieciated

thankks ABZY

aozora
17-11-2005, 11:22 PM
What do you mean by lowered shocks?
Just put the adjuster back in?

Not exactly sure what you mean though...

bungsai
18-11-2005, 03:09 AM
you put just the spring in without the threaded adjusted? - dangerous i think its not what it is designed to do....suspension is part of the most important bit that keeps u on the road, do it properly dude...

BlitZ
22-11-2005, 02:34 PM
u can get purpose built short bodied shocks.. they allow u to run lower....
how low are u running they should bottom out that easily...
make sure u still running your bump stops...

else get your self some normal konis...

how low is your car.. a civic with 18" rims and guard on rim isnt that low...

its was like my height but i had 15"s sitting pass tyre (15 smaller and lower)

What do you mean by lowered shocks?
Just put the adjuster back in?

Not exactly sure what you mean though...

ABZY
22-11-2005, 04:39 PM
i took the adjuster out so that i could go lower, its not gunna harm anything, well maybe the shock,

blitZ you should think about wot you say before you open your mouth, its a genuine 4" drop if not more, when i had my 14" stockies and sittin how it used the gaurd was even with the tyre...

a lowered/ shortned shock is basically the same a standard but the have a shorter stroke so there fore you can go lower but still have travel in the shock.

with standard type of shocks its impossible to go lower as there is about 10mm of travel left in the shock... so i'm guessin it is a waste of tyme putting a standard sized shock, hence why i'm askin if anyone knows wot i can do..

nobbs
22-11-2005, 04:44 PM
try cutting your bump stop in half, it will give u a little more suspension travel

also i had a 4 inch drop on 18s before and the front guard was a couple mm over the rim, not the tyre but the rim.

i asked for lowered shock on my civic and i think its better to spend the extra it will cost for coilovers....

bennjamin
22-11-2005, 04:48 PM
maybe spend up big on either airbag suspension or invest in some coilovers with an adjustable body - which tries to keep the shock stroke the exact same as low or as high as you can go within the boundries of the perch adjustment ~ cusco zero 2 can do this i believe ?

ABZY
22-11-2005, 04:53 PM
hmmmm, cutting the bump stops. nah hahahahaha :thumbdwn: i only did it to the back, tried it at the front and the gaurd was well over the rim and i couldn't turn haha i just don't wanna spend the money on coilovers as mates ahve gotten them in there cars and they didn't drop em much at all, plus i don't have alot of money so i just figured lowered shocks would be the best answer...

bennjamin
22-11-2005, 05:05 PM
hmmmm, cutting the bump stops. nah hahahahaha :thumbdwn: i only did it to the back, tried it at the front and the gaurd was well over the rim and i couldn't turn haha i just don't wanna spend the money on coilovers as mates ahve gotten them in there cars and they didn't drop em much at all, plus i don't have alot of money so i just figured lowered shocks would be the best answer...

for that extra bit of drop maybe get either koni reds/yellows to suit your car - they can go another 25mm or so below stock shock height. So , combined with low springs im sure this is a decent drop for ya....

ABZY
23-11-2005, 05:49 PM
thanks, so there a lowered shock yeah? not coilovers???

SiR
23-11-2005, 07:14 PM
I always hear about 'bottoming out' and 'hitting the bump stops', so basically, what exactly does it feel/sound like when you really do hit the bump stops?

ABZY
25-11-2005, 02:54 PM
you can tell when you do, just a real loud bang noise, doesn't sound to good at all...

Limbo
29-11-2005, 04:11 PM
yeah your current shocks are not being able to travel the full length due to the lowering. You need to get shorter style shocks like Blitz stated, adjustable might be good also as you will be able to adjust the hardness of the shock to cope with the extra strain.

The other way is to get harder springs and live with the harder ride. Might not be good for the shocks though, but it will stop you bumping the chassie or bump stops.