PDA

View Full Version : h22a VTEC or worked b16a????

DOCH16
17-11-2005, 10:24 PM
i have a lot of spare time and money on my hands now that ive lost
my license.
so was wonderin would a h22a VTEC fit into my 92 delsol or would it
be worth it to work my exsiting motor.
my b16a2 has about 185k on the clock
any suggestions on what to do
how much would it cost to get the h22a in?
what mods would make my car faster
was told go turbo but not sure motor will last
if i was to work the b16a2 what could be done and for how much

Eclipsor
17-11-2005, 10:34 PM
someone is selling a eg civic h22a conversion on here atm. here: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32169 Seems like a pretty good deal.

roar
17-11-2005, 10:38 PM
whats the purpose of the car?

drag/track or street?
if track or street...an h22a may be too powerful/torquey for such a light car...ie...making the car much harder to drive...

DOCH16
18-11-2005, 10:37 AM
thanks for the site Eclipsor it does sound like a good deal, but still deciding atm

roar- what do u mean it would b harder to drive? as in a lot of wheel spin?
but that is expected it would be just like having a turbo or a supercharger wouldnt it?

DLO01
18-11-2005, 12:17 PM
A car only goes as fast according to how far the foot is on the pedel.

Hey Man, seriously if you want a bit more of a kick I would get your B16A turbo-ed. You've done 185kms on it now, but if it has been looked after it will be perfect. Just get it checked out by a mechanic to give it the all clear.
With the right turbo set-up you'll get some awsome power from the stock motor. Pro-ecu is getting 161kw from his stock b16a on 4.5psi (I think). Once you have your set-up complete take it over to Adelaide and Evan (pro-ecu) will tune it for you. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

*edit* You motor 'will last' in stock form turboed. As long as it tuned appropriately and you have a decent set-up, don't cane it for prolonged time it will be perfect.

DLO01
18-11-2005, 12:35 PM
If you want to spend some money on your B16a & turbo-ing it, the sky is the limit. Check out this thread:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22651&highlight=b16a+turbo
This will give you a better idea of what sort of power figures you will be looking for and the set-up you will need typically.

saxman
18-11-2005, 01:09 PM
I would only consider an h22 in a sol if you are building a drag car

BiGANG
18-11-2005, 01:20 PM
i think that the B16a motor is a good base to start with either way. Its like a if it aint broke dont fix it scenario. If you want more power i would just get it out of the b16a and if you are worried about the higher kays that the motor has now that you have lost your license, pull the motor out, and freshen it up ie. bearings rings, valve stem seals, service the head, water pump, etc. A h22a conversion wouldnt be much cheaper than a b16a motor with a decent turbo kit on it and the b16 will scare the shit out of any passenger you take in the car.

I would stick with the b16a motor man, its an awesome starting point to any project

DLO01
18-11-2005, 01:38 PM
I would only consider an h22 in a sol if you are building a drag car
Yes, agreed. Absolutly :thumbsup:

honda_b_blastn
18-11-2005, 02:32 PM
cant beat displacement..mod to mod h22a will always win..........:)
It always comes down to what you want to do man,i was actually on the look out for a b16a in the start and did some research on the h22,looking back now im soo glad i went the h22a..ive personally raced a b16a turbo civic with greddy bolt on it,bigger injectors and Hondata,all i had was intake and exhaust and i came out the victor! whats more relaible boosted b16a or standard h22a.....pretty easy to figure that one out.

Paul1985
18-11-2005, 02:46 PM
i would personally prefer the h22a.. but thats just coz i prefer N/A.. and id prefer a h22a than a b16a...

h22a is a fairly difficult swap though.. gotta get custom mounts and all kinds of things.

Do some research on each of your options, and you should be able to decide for yourself which option you would prefer.

Good luck with whichever you choose :)

saxman
18-11-2005, 02:52 PM
cant beat displacement..mod to mod h22a will always win..........:)
It always comes down to what you want to do man,i was actually on the look out for a b16a in the start and did some research on the h22,looking back now im soo glad i went the h22a..ive personally raced a b16a turbo civic with greddy bolt on it,bigger injectors and Hondata,all i had was intake and exhaust and i came out the victor! whats more relaible boosted b16a or standard h22a.....pretty easy to figure that one out.
pretty sure greddy doesn't even make a bolt on turbo set up for the b16...

the biggest issue with the h22 isn't the power, it's how it affects the handling of the car... you're moving the center of gravity up and forward in an already front biased car...

if we're going to post up race stories, I'll throw the one up where I went up against a civic with an h22, tien suspension, etc in my sol with a d16z6 with only springs and shocks, and was lapping times 4-5 seconds faster then him on a 50 second autox course... and we both had about the same experience.

Like I said... h22's are great... if you're building a drag car.

SKREMN
18-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Have you considerd b18 or b20?
use same box and bolts stright in???

cdpfxz
18-11-2005, 07:14 PM
yeh u gotta look at reliability if that worries u at all too..... cos anything turbo is gonna give u alot more hassles than an n/a engine.. and u'll hav to keep spending more and more money on a turbo.. guess it depends wat u want... as ppl hav said ur gonna have better handling if u stick wit a turbo b16... depends wat u want...

nic

saxman
18-11-2005, 09:50 PM
yeh u gotta look at reliability if that worries u at all too..... cos anything turbo is gonna give u alot more hassles than an n/a engine.. and u'll hav to keep spending more and more money on a turbo.. guess it depends wat u want... as ppl hav said ur gonna have better handling if u stick wit a turbo b16... depends wat u want...

nic
now to be fair a properly set up turbo with a good tune isn't going to be significantly less reliable than the h22... if you keep up on the maintenance, all should be well

DOCH16
19-11-2005, 12:51 AM
what mods could i do to the b16a to gain power without goin turbo
im a bit of a rev head so i dont want anything that is goin to fcuk up on me
while im givin it.
ie..speedo constantly in the red

honda_b_blastn
19-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Gredy do make a bolton turbo kit for B series...do some research champ..;)

DOHC16: if you already have a b16a delsol stick with it,better off,Good luck with your decision tho..
Heres a article i wrote a while back when i first did my swap..just to get you thinking a bit..:)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13733

saxman
19-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Gredy do make a bolton turbo kit for B series...do some research champ..;)

DOHC16: if you already have a b16a delsol stick with it,better off,Good luck with your decision tho..
Heres a article i wrote a while back when i first did my swap..just to get you thinking a bit..:)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13733

it must have been a somewhat more recent addition to their line up, as I know for a while they didn't

honda_b_blastn
19-11-2005, 03:16 PM
been on their interent site for about 2years..guess you could call that recent..;)

saxman
19-11-2005, 03:29 PM
been on their interent site for about 2years..guess you could call that recent..;)
well, it's been a while since I was looking into premade turbo kits

Zilli
20-11-2005, 04:28 PM
if uve got money to spend, go the b18c7/5 motor out of the dc2 R

or the b16b, cant be a typ r

:-)

cdpfxz
20-11-2005, 05:04 PM
now to be fair a properly set up turbo with a good tune isn't going to be significantly less reliable than the h22... if you keep up on the maintenance, all should be well

yes thats true.. its usually the maintenance thats a little more expensive though.. if u do it right from the start though, u'll definitely avoid a lot of trouble..

nic

DOCH16
21-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Have you considerd b18 or b20?
use same box and bolts stright in???

thats a good idea! anyone know how much the type r motors are and what it takes for a conversion?

barefootbonzai
21-11-2005, 11:27 AM
thats a good idea! anyone know how much the type r motors are and what it takes for a conversion?

Since you already got a B16 i don't think it's really worth it to swap in a B18CR. You've got an excellent engine to work with, just do some research and find ways to make it quicker. The B16 has pleanty of potential, there should be a bang for bux thread on top of the civic section.