PDA

View Full Version : CD5 Handbrake/brakelight problem!

Rico
18-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Hey got a problem with my car. When I just turned it on, I put it in drive as usual and took off the handbrake, however....the handbrake light remains on and now under the pic of the car in the dash the words "brake lamp" appear. Does anyone know whats going on?

http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/1512/problem1lp.jpg

BUN-135
19-11-2005, 12:29 AM
You should check your brake lamps if there blown

bamboozled
19-11-2005, 02:32 AM
check ur brake fluid. when all those lights go on usually means ur running low on brake fluid. same problem in my mums accord.

Rico
19-11-2005, 05:50 AM
You should check your brake lamps if there blown

What are brake lamps? lol, you mean my brake lights? or the fuses etc.

check ur brake fluid. when all those lights go on usually means ur running low on brake fluid. same problem in my mums accord.

I noticed it was going down slightly from when I drove. In the pic it was at perfect halfway (at halfway doesnt that mean its alright?) then when I started driving for less than 2 minutes it went down.

bamboozled
19-11-2005, 12:20 PM
huh? what was at perfect halfway?

Brake Fluid dude, its your brake fluid not oil

Rico
19-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Ok wait scrap the last part what I wrote that didnt make any sense. Ummm ok I noticed that the handbrake light is always on, just dims slightly so its nothing to do with the handbrake however, the "brake lamp" thing is still on, and i've checked everything and everything is fine. Any other ideas?

narcoleptic
19-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Ask someone to depress the brake paddal while you go around the rear of your car to see which brake light(s) is/are gone. Very simple.

It has NOTHING to do with your handbrake or whatsoever.

The one in the middle is a bugger; I had to go to 3 different Supercheap to buy it. The bulbs on both sides are easy; just normal 2 filaments bulbs. (one stays on while you turn on your lights, the other one lights up when you depress the brake paddal)

EDITED: besides, the one in the middle, try to take it out and put it back as it could come loose at times.

Rico
19-11-2005, 07:07 PM
I already did that dude, and their both fine. Do you reckon its still safe to drive with it on for the time being? I'm getting my car serviced in a weeks time so maybe I can fix it then.

[T][L]
19-11-2005, 08:18 PM
have you check the level of brake fluid in the engine bay??

Rico
19-11-2005, 08:29 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the last time lol
This is ****ed, ive checked the manual there is no mention of this light!?!? wtf????
So I've checked all the fluid levels, checked for leaks, checked the back brake lights, what else is there to do?? I might ring up honda on monday morning and check this out.

ECU-MAN
19-11-2005, 09:49 PM
instead of checking your rear brake lights, change them, that will fix it, go get your self some good quality double filliment globes and replace them, also is your eye level brake light working. if you have a spoiler, do its lights work

that light ontop is a warning for handbrake and brake fluid, but when the one down bellow lights up, it means its a globe problems at the back of the car.

Spoon-Accord
20-11-2005, 12:54 PM
ohhh...

rico. i had this problem too bro..

remove the middle arm rest compartment to view the handbrake assembly..

where u look at the handbrake assembly there should be a switch to trigger that light.. see if that switch is connected or not. thats wat happened to me!

also.. check top up your brake fluid and also check the tailight globes when your depressing the brake pedal and also when u switch your parkers on.

try these out..

if doesnt work

just hit me pm should have a few other ways to ID the problem

cheers

Kenny

h22a accord
21-11-2005, 09:20 AM
same thing happened to me when a rear tail light blew. handbrake light was on and so was the brake lamp light. Mine was fixed with tail light bulb replacement.

like others have said, replace all the tail/brake lightbulbs.

taiman
21-11-2005, 03:41 PM
rip out the centre console and have a look at the simple device that gives the indicator to the dash if the hand brake is up or down...

mr_mojo02
24-11-2005, 05:19 PM
this happened to me today.. checked the brake lights.. the left hand side stop last was busted.. the tail light was ok... changed the globe and im all good again

as others have said, change ur globes and u should find its all good again

Dray_Templar
21-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Just had the same thing happen this morning, least now i have some ideas where to look thanks Guys

incoming
21-06-2007, 08:43 AM
as mentioned above

top up brake fluid and check/replace ur brake bulb in the tail lights and stop light

Dray_Templar
21-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Just changed the brake pads the other week, pretty sure the brake fluid is full but will double check it anyway, have a bottle in my car at the moment :)

pretty sure it must be a globe, the brake lamp light comes on after pressing the brake pedal a few times. eg cars in Park start car, all dash lights go off, press brake a few times then the brake lamp light and the (!) light comes on and stays on.

P.S thank god for search and old threads. hehe anyway thanks incoming :)

incoming
21-06-2007, 08:59 AM
common problem in my cd5. shits me to tears when ur driving and the light comes hehe

21-06-2007, 12:06 PM
sticky tape it with black tape =.= and just make a little hole on it.. red dot ahahhaha.

you might want to check the wire connector under the console which connect to the handbrake.
i had this problem, but i found out that it was loose and wobly. so i fix it up. and its great !! no more bling bling on the dash LOL

skyflyer
29-04-2008, 10:06 PM
It just happened to me today. Was shocked at first but brake worked very well though so I kept driving. Also one thing to add I had ABS indicator came on too but only after driving for a while having (!) and BRAKE LAMP indicators on first. Will check all globes and center console as everyone has suggested. See how it goes.

PS: Also just changed all pads last month...

Riviera
30-04-2008, 04:48 PM
I had the same problem last week...

* Check Fluid
* Get new bulbs theyre only like $4 so just replace em anyways for piece of mind

with the VTi and VTi-S that are equiped with ABS, that light also comes on after
around 1 minute or so

skyflyer
30-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Hehe found the problem. One light (passenger side) turned out to be loose so it was not working. Unplugged and re-plugged back in seem to do the trick.

Light is gone now so happy!

Riviera
02-05-2008, 05:02 PM
ahhhh the simple things are always better