PDA

View Full Version : amp wiring

Morkz
17-03-2004, 12:04 PM
I've installed an amp into the boot of my ek civic, and i grounded the amp on the rear seat bolt. The only problem i got now is the the power cable for the amp is running down the passenger side of the car(away from the rca's which are running down the middle) but i think the power cable if interfering with the fron left speaker, anyone got any idea's how to fix this.

Fhrx
17-03-2004, 12:25 PM
These circumstances sound a little strange to me...

Using a process of elimination, ran a separate power wire temporarily outside the car from the battery to the amp and see if the noise is still there?

McChook
17-03-2004, 01:00 PM
I just bought a noise surpressor for 20bux and wired that up. I had terrible alternator whine (noise is quiet at idle, but gets louder as you rev).

It should fix the problem. Marty can be more helpful tha me, I am limited in the terminology and technical issues, but thats what I did

fozee
17-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Sounds parculiar...

Front stage running off amp or HU? where do they lie?

I have my RCA and front speaker cables on one side of the tranny tunnel and the power on the other and i have no interference of any sort..
Its unlikely to be power cable interference if your just running the one amp. One shouldnt draw enough current to create the magnetic field to cause the interference...

Could it be a ground somewhere on your left speaker cable run??

Morkz
17-03-2004, 02:36 PM
i think what mcChock said best describes my problem, because i havn't changed the wiring for my front speakers yet. And the sound gets louder as i rev the car. So i'll get a noise surpressor and try that out. I'm in melb so got any ideas where i can get one from, i was thinking jaycar.

McChook
17-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Whatever the strathfield car radio version is in Victoria... Pretty much any audio store. Doesn;t really matter where. I just bought it at my local audio joint (Southside car audio).

they are bwteen 20 and 40 bucks. The problem you describe is called alternator whine

Morkz
17-03-2004, 05:47 PM
cool thanks

vti-2
17-03-2004, 05:59 PM
I think you are hearing engine noise!

It's not that hard to fix. The first thing to check is make sure power and other accessories are split. i.e. running down different sides of the car. Second thing to check is grounding. If you have average grounding, you will get engine noise through the speakers. Last thing to do, put a cap on it, which is what McChook did. The best people to go see for bits like that are Jaycar.

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/

Good luck! Let us know how you go.

Morkz
07-04-2004, 09:09 AM
Finally finished of the rest of my stereo, installed a suppressor and that got rid of the noise(alternator whine) fine. Except today as I was driving into uni i went over a small bump and now I’m picking up really bad interference though the sub and front speakers..... Nothing ever goes according to plan. :x

vti-2
07-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Finally finished of the rest of my stereo, installed a suppressor and that got rid of the noise(alternator whine) fine. Except today as I was driving into uni i went over a small bump and now I’m picking up really bad interference though the sub and front speakers..... Nothing ever goes according to plan. :x

lol! Make sure the suppressor is secured properly. Same goes for all earth cables. :)

Morkz
07-04-2004, 09:38 PM
fixed it, the left speaker was touching the door frame. The only thing is i keep on getting a small amount of interference in the right speaker but none on the left. Are there any power cables running down the right of the car?

euro77
07-04-2004, 10:42 PM
how did you run your power cable? if your power cable is close to the speaker cable, then that is (probably) why you got the interference.

wynode
07-04-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm not a big fan of noise surpresses.

In my EG, I have the RCA's running down the left hand side and the power cable running down the right hand side with the ground going to the rear right seat belt anchor. No interference at all.

How big are your power cables?

SIKCVC
07-04-2004, 11:16 PM
I have as above but the opposit way around and I'm running 4 guage power cables. and all my speaker cables run the other side... might have something to do with my high RCA pre-out voltage though.

Morkz
08-04-2004, 09:58 AM
the rca's are seperate from the power cable, and if it was the rca's it would be coming through both the front speakers but it's just the front right. And the noise is always there