PDA

View Full Version : Best Head light bulbs?

All_Motor
17-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi all... I was planning to get some headlight bulbs and want a bright white or bright white with very FAINT blue( like HID). At autojoy they have those B1 HYBRID POLARG bulbs. Which ones are the best ones to suit me and which do you guys use? Thanks

joneblaze
17-03-2004, 01:15 PM
If your main concern is the "whiteness" or rice factor of the bulbs, i would recommend PIAA Xtreme Force White bulbs (4700K). They look like this on my DC4:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/wynode/meadowbank/IMG_3509.jpg

The PIAAs are pretty hard to source here (but i believe "mugsee" on these forums can source a set for u), so the Polarg's are also quite good. I believe "Civic Si" (Hanson) has them on his Civic ..and they look great!

If you want light for performance or increased visibility, your best bet would be one of the Philips range (Diamond Vision, Vision Plus etc) or similar, or a 9005 to 9006 (hi beam to low beam) bulb conversion. Instructions and info about that can be found on www.team-integra.net .

Jon

fried
17-03-2004, 05:53 PM
i can sell you my phillips blue vision.... used.... about 5000kms....

make an offer ;)

MoNd3sto7
19-03-2004, 12:48 AM
Hi there

just like Joneblaze said PIAA blud will be the best light blud in the market now. Im using PIAA Xtreme Force White in my DC2 and they r beautiful and bright. Saw a DC5 using PIAA Super spark blue(7500K) the other nite. It's reli look like a HID from far away. was thinking to change one soon hehehe :D

anyway if u r in perth. u can go to Autobox have a look. or email them autobox.iinet.net.au ;)

bennjamin
19-03-2004, 02:44 AM
i can sell you my phillips blue vision.... used.... about 5000kms....

make an offer ;)

$5.00

you know im worth it ehehhehe :P

A'PEXi
19-03-2004, 09:24 AM
where bouts do you get the PIAA Super spark blue(7500K) ??? A friend of mine has the Phillips and they work quite well.....

Tofu
19-03-2004, 09:25 AM
if when all your PIAA bulbs fail/blow...then HID are the only way to go

Civic Si
20-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Here's a pic of my Polarg globes on my car! *Not cheap*!!! 8)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=113

mugsee
20-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up joneblaze ;)

If you guys need PIAA lightbulbs, I can try my best and see if I can source them for you.

ginganggooly
20-03-2004, 04:21 PM
i believe there are some legal rammifications regarding the use of hids in non oem hid enclosures or something.

MrThanh
20-03-2004, 10:02 PM
i've got the philips crystal vision. all they're good for is bling. all that crap about them being brighter is a load of shit. because of the blue tint on the bulb, a bit of the light is filtered out. the OEM bulbs have more usable light. save up your $$$ and go for HIDs. do it once, do it right. i regret buying aftermarket bulbs. and if you do go for the bulbs, dont get shitty ones, because one side will blow out within a month of use.

CivicCoupe
21-03-2004, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the heads up joneblaze ;)

If you guys need PIAA lightbulbs, I can try my best and see if I can source them for you.

How much does a pair of the PIAA lightbulbs approx. cost?

mugsee
21-03-2004, 01:28 PM
around $100 for a pair :)

joneblaze
21-03-2004, 05:55 PM
That's not bad...... Polargs retail for around $135ish i think.....

cheebye
31-03-2004, 10:19 PM
anyone know places in Melb I can get PIAA bulbs?

joneblaze
31-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Dude, didn't you read the thread?
Mugsee is based in Melbourne i think.

cheebye
31-03-2004, 10:24 PM
yes I read and I have spoken to him. while he is busy with stuff, I thought I could go shopping on my own since I have some spare time atm. :D

joneblaze
31-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Ahh i see. :)

A'PEXi
31-03-2004, 11:24 PM
ill sell you a (1) polarg? one of mine blew and i got some cheap replacements :P....

anyway, where do you get these piaa 7500k ones? im interested in seeing how bright they are :D

Jus-10
02-04-2004, 04:36 PM
HIDs are illegal if retro-fitted in to a non-HID car. To be legal, the HIDs need a self-levelling system and headlight washers.

I have Philips Diamond Visions in my car. They run at 5000k and look awesome. As Mr Thanh said, they give out less light, but it actually says this on the package (it does on mine). Mine were $145 for the pair.

For reference sake, most OEM HIDs are running around the 4200k temp (the same as Philips Crytals). Running 7200k PIAAs would increase your risk of getting defected no doubt as they would be noticebly blue. There is an Audi getting around Sydney with 8000k HIDs and he gets defected all the time they are so blue.

But anything other than HID is a waste of money from a performance perspective

joneblaze
03-04-2004, 12:07 AM
HIDs are illegal if retro-fitted in to a non-HID car. To be legal, the HIDs need a self-levelling system and headlight washers.

I have Philips Diamond Visions in my car. They run at 5000k and look awesome. As Mr Thanh said, they give out less light, but it actually says this on the package (it does on mine). Mine were $145 for the pair.

For reference sake, most OEM HIDs are running around the 4200k temp (the same as Philips Crytals). Running 7200k PIAAs would increase your risk of getting defected no doubt as they would be noticebly blue. There is an Audi getting around Sydney with 8000k HIDs and he gets defected all the time they are so blue.

But anything other than HID is a waste of money from a performance perspective

How about brighter, higher useable light emitting bulbs? eg. Philips Vision Plus? Why wouldn't something like that constitute a "performance" upgrade from OEM or dimmer bulbs? :roll:

A'PEXi
03-04-2004, 12:28 AM
PIAA 7500k bulbs, not hid's, would emit a blue light? or was the post reffering to PIAA 7500 hid bulbs :P

Jus-10
05-04-2004, 02:55 PM
7500k whether HID or or normal fillament bulbs will be noticebly blue (they are both running at the same temperature).

With regards to my comment about anything other than HID is a waste of money from a performance perspective, I was referring to 'white/rice' bulbs. I am not sure of the temp of Vision Plus, but they are not a 'white' light as far as I am aware.

joneblaze
05-04-2004, 03:01 PM
So you should edit and substitute "anything" for "rice". :)

Jus-10
05-04-2004, 03:26 PM
I can't be arsed doing that seeing as though I have already corrected myself for those that can't follow the topic of conversation (i.e. white light upgrades)

So if you wanna get pedantic, let's go....

(I'm joking)

Taxi-R
05-04-2004, 11:47 PM
yes PIAA r very bright whether u get the 4500k or the 5000k ones. i've had both. onto my third or fourth pair now.

the only thing is, with these bulbs and prob all other high density bulbs is that u will have to change them quite often cos they will blow. at least 2 of mine have died just over 1.5 years.
:x

-h2n-
08-08-2004, 06:02 AM
for piaa bulbs in melbourne.. try car shine on flemington road near the city... look for big fat beemers and mercs layin around and you'll know you're close.. :D

TeMp
08-08-2004, 12:49 PM
I was told that all aftermarket light conversion/mod was illegal full stop.

A spray and leveler does not make it illegal because i have a euro accord with HID which have neither spray of leveler. If according to that dude's theory then all stock luxury euro accords would be illegal?

At the moment I have 8k HIDs on my DC5Rs for about 1 and half months now and I have never been pulled over, even though I passed by many cop cars. Maybe I am lucky but its hardly "get pulled over all the time".

Blubs do not even come close to looking like HID from far away and honestly when you get a close look of a car with bulbs it just looks rice.

Like MrThanh said if you want to do it do it properly, go all the way. HID is the ONLY way!

civicboy
08-08-2004, 02:05 PM
alot of new cars now have HIDS.. eg DC5R, Euro Accord, BMW, etc. as a factory standards; so i its not illegal for those cars.

nyways...
PIAA, Polarg, Phillips bulbs are quiet bright and it takes a while to die out

A'PEXi
08-08-2004, 08:22 PM
where do u get piaa in qld?... i saw diamond visions but theyre $145.... bit expensive for bulbs :P

Willxia
08-08-2004, 11:14 PM
hey there every one
i'm new to this forum but i have a pair of philips diamond visions and had them on for almost half a year now, i like the look of them but they are not as bright on the road at night.
going to get HIDs for one of my next MODs coz they are more worth it than to change bulbs all the time.

luzinit
09-08-2004, 01:52 AM
hi , welcome, seen u over at clubrsx. anyways, in terms of the phillips range of bulbs, anything higher than the bluvision range would result in worse visibility, ie the crystal and diamond vision are simply for 'look' and light up the road worse than the blue visions, so u might wanna check them out before investing into some HIDs (i have a set and they serve me quite well!)

bluvision is only about 58 dollars a set including parkers as well :) cant go wrong if u wanna increase visibility over stock imo :D

joneblaze
09-08-2004, 03:11 PM
hi , welcome, seen u over at clubrsx. anyways, in terms of the phillips range of bulbs, anything higher than the bluvision range would result in worse visibility, ie the crystal and diamond vision are simply for 'look' and light up the road worse than the blue visions, so u might wanna check them out before investing into some HIDs (i have a set and they serve me quite well!)

bluvision is only about 58 dollars a set including parkers as well :) cant go wrong if u wanna increase visibility over stock imo :D
*nods* Tony speaks the truth. Phillips Bluevision or Visionplus (apparently 30% increase in light output) would probably be the best from that range. Diamondvision etc doesn't emit nearly as much light/visibility...
gawddamn EK reflectors....grrr.... :evil: lol

SoundStreamer
11-08-2004, 02:28 AM
im looking for some globes at the moment as well.....never bought globes before.

When they say input is 55/60 and output is 100/110 is this just refering to a more efficient globe?

Is it as long as the input wattage is correct for stock there shouldnt be any issues? like with overheating? will an output of 100/110 be legal? colour temp is 5000k

Any help or opinion on these would be greatly appreciated as my friend has a pair he wants to off load.

thanks

SiR
11-08-2004, 03:19 PM
I'm currently using Philips Diamond vision 5000K and they work fine. I prefer my previous bulbs, Bosch Silver Evolution - I don't know what 'k' they were, but they gave out a white light with a hint of purple. Looked damn classy and fairly similar to the light the BMW xenons gave off.

SoundStreamer
11-08-2004, 04:18 PM
im more worried about the wattage of the bulbs, ie input and output as in not burning anything...anyone see a problem?

joneblaze
11-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Ronnie if you're after something a little bit whiter/clearer as well as brighter than OEM, try a pair of Philips Bluevisions. I've run them before..they're not bad. Takes alot of work to get some light out of those shoddy EG headlights :)