PDA

View Full Version : EK civic - immobilisor

civic-dream
19-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Just wondering if all EK model civic's came with immobilisors standard,

i'm also curious about how they work and how effective they are at
stopping a thief or joy-rider stealing your car...

i live in an area that's prone to car robbery and insurance premiums are way too expensive for me to afford, not to mention i'm on my P's aswell.

how do immobilisors work?
are they easy to override in a civic?

mrwillz
19-11-2005, 05:49 PM
well most civic come wif a transponder key
wifout the wif the transponder u cant start the car. copy keys wont work either unless done properly.

the only thing i'd b worried about is contents of the car eg. stereo thats y i pud the alarm on

Politix
19-11-2005, 06:03 PM
my 97 EK1 comes wif a immobiliser.....had only one set of keys and and to get a special set of spare keys with a transpoder - costed me $80!.....without the transpoder u can open the doors but can't start the engine.....

Captiva_Blue
19-11-2005, 06:06 PM
All AUDM EK civic models have an immobiliser. They are wired into the car's electrical loom (very hard to find) and disable functions such as ignition and fuel delivery among other things. They work by recieving a radio signal containing a vehicle specific code from the transponder in the key which, if it matches the code of the immobiliser, allows the car to start. Since it is a part of the car's loom and is not a separate alarm unit (aftermarket style) they are very hard to disable without pretty sophisticated equipment. They can, however, be bypassed if you have the appropriate code and a radio transmitter and are not as good as some newer ones that have a rolling code that changes every time the car is started. Overall, they are pretty good in an EK.

vtecchie
19-11-2005, 07:53 PM
On a side note, never try to start your car using the red key as it kills the car and is very costly to get fixed.

ECU-MAN
19-11-2005, 09:55 PM
On a side note, never try to start your car using the red key as it kills the car and is very costly to get fixed.

NOT TRUE

do you know this 1st hand, or you repeating what you once heard.

tRipitaka
20-11-2005, 08:13 AM
why would honda produce a key that kills ur car ?

Captiva_Blue
20-11-2005, 09:16 AM
The red key (as far as I know coz my EG doesn't have 1) is just a template key for getting copies made. It doesn't do anything different when you try to start the car with it than if you had an aftermarket immobiliser and you tried to start the car whilst it was switched on..ie: the car will sound like it's dead (crank but not fire, or the solenoid will go off but the starter won't crank etc.) but if you then start it with the chipped key, it will start as normal.

mugeneration
20-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Yeah factory immobiliser just works with the key. As said above its probably better to get an alarm fitted. A paging one would be good too as a lot of ppl just ignore car alarms these days coz of the false alarms.

Also if you put in a lot of money inside the car (eg stereo) Ive seen this thing you an get fitted to your car, when the alarm goes off it fills your car witha whole can of fake smoke. They cant steal what they cant see.

ECU-MAN
20-11-2005, 08:19 PM
The red key (as far as I know coz my EG doesn't have 1) is just a template key for getting copies made. It doesn't do anything different when you try to start the car with it than if you had an aftermarket immobiliser and you tried to start the car whilst it was switched on..ie: the car will sound like it's dead (crank but not fire, or the solenoid will go off but the starter won't crank etc.) but if you then start it with the chipped key, it will start as normal.

Sort of,

the job of the red key is to allow learn mode of the immobiliser, with out it you cant learn a new black key

[ricer]
20-11-2005, 10:42 PM
leave your car as stock as possible and not attract unwanted attention and ur immobiliser is the bomb!
or else get an upgraded alarm with 3 point immobilisers/ dual shock sensors/ microwave sensors and all that stuff

Menzy
21-11-2005, 07:08 AM
']leave your car as stock as possible and not attract unwanted attention and ur immobiliser is the bomb!
or else get an upgraded alarm with 3 point immobilisers/ dual shock sensors/ microwave sensors and all that stuff

get that and every car with a sound system or exhuast that flies past your car will set it off very annoying if you ask me ...

[ricer]
21-11-2005, 07:03 PM
get that and every car with a sound system or exhuast that flies past your car will set it off very annoying if you ask me ...

dude that only happens to those fully sick rice boys who turn their alarm sensitivity to the max thinking their alarm is king shit
i reckon 50% of cars have alarms and i dont hear that many going off

vtecchie
22-11-2005, 07:58 AM
NOT TRUE

do you know this 1st hand, or you repeating what you once heard.

Thats what I was told by Honda when i bought the car

civic-dream
23-11-2005, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=Captiva_Blue]All AUDM EK civic models have an immobiliser....QUOTE]

I just want to re-confirm if this is true... i've been looking it up but have conflicting info...

Captiva_Blue
23-11-2005, 04:46 PM

I just want to re-confirm if this is true... i've been looking it up but have conflicting info...

Just checked again, it is, in fact, only standard on all models from the 1999 model update onwards (when it got the new bumpers, a spec tweak and the switch from the VTi-R being a hatch to a coupe). Sorry for the confusion :o

ek4-guy
23-11-2005, 05:03 PM
im not sure about honda cause i havnt had my civic for that long if the imobiliser is hidden in the wiring that would be very good cause from experiance i have learnt that all anyone has to to is get a matching key, ignition barrel and computer plug them all in an start the car this works on wrx, mercedes , nissan , sanyong musso ,holden ,an i suspect hondas aswell but i can tell u my 96 vtir hatch does have an imobilser

ECU-MAN
23-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Thats what I was told by Honda when i bought the car

salesmen dont know much about technical things.

this is a bad myth that started to go around in 96 when this Immobiliser system was introduced in AU. funny I 1st heard it from a salesmen as well :D

ECU-MAN
23-11-2005, 07:10 PM
its true dude

All post 96 AUDM civics will have the factory Immo

nexace
28-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Came standard on my 96 vti coupe :)

mrwillz
28-11-2005, 02:24 PM
']dude that only happens to those fully sick rice boys who turn their alarm sensitivity to the max thinking their alarm is king shit
i reckon 50% of cars have alarms and i dont hear that many going off

hmm my alarm is like that by standard. it gives off 5 warning chirps and then a diff mode will be activated (this has got to be the most annoying in carpark lots and parking on the street). it will then take a harder impact to trigger the alarm.

i didnt no about this function when i purchased this alarm but i guess its designed that way

ozR18
04-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi..bringing this topic up again..Just purchased a 96 gli civic sedan manual...the lady who sold me the car said theres no immobiliser on the car ( is that true)..and shes gonna install it for me (after me telling its againts the law to sell or transfer a car without immobiliser).

so is it true that immobiliser is not factory fitted for this particular model? or she not sure herself...

Thanks

ECU-MAN
04-09-2007, 10:04 PM
96 Gli if its a EK ( check the VIN ) will have an immobilser

you can tell by when you turn of the ignition a green key will flash on the dash.

ozR18
04-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks ECU-MAN..for the quick reply..heres the exact photo of the car...its an ek isnt?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w224/ozR18/2592280.jpg

The car is still at the previous owners place due to this immobiliser issue to get it fixed so i cant check if theres a green light or not.

Thanks again.

ECU-MAN
04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
thats an EK

if you want to be 100% sure

go get the key cut at a hardware shop.

it will open the door, turn the ignition, but the car wil not start and green light will blink on the dash.

ozR18
04-09-2007, 10:20 PM
thanks dude..ill give a her call tomorrow..so basically theres no buttons to press or pins to poke into etc to activate/deactivate the immobilser..its all in the key then.

Thanks..sorry for the noob question...