PDA

View Full Version : Skunk2 Intake Manifold Review

Civic_Si
20-11-2005, 08:35 PM
G'day OzHonda members,

I bought a Skunk2 Intake manifold for my Honda Civic SI 99 - 00 (B16A) recently. I thought that I will share my experience with you guys. Before I bought it, I was told by the staff at Skunk2 Racing in Norco CA, USA that it will bolted onto the cyclinder head on my B16A like an OEM fitting.

True enough, it bolted onto the cyclinder head with ease. However, there are some stuff that needs to be modify in order to use the intake manifold. First is the Intake Air Temperture sensor (IAT) and second is the cable that is connected to the throttle body sits on.

I have attached a pic of the Skunk2 intake manifold and the stock intake manifold from Honda. If you see on the stock manifold, you will find that on the 4th pipe (beside the gold colour thingy), the IAT sensor has been sealed. It is done so by Honda as Honda Civic SI 99 - 00 doesn't have a IAT sensor on the car. If you look at Skunk2 manifold, the IAT sensor is on the 3rd pipe.

Here comes the problem. Skunk2 didn't provide a seal that covers the IAT sensor for it. I have to get a friend to create a seal using a CNC mill. In my own opinion, I think Skunk2 should provide this seal as they should know that the vehicle that the intake manifold will be use on doesn't have the IAT sensor.

The second modification that was needed to be done on the manifold is where the cable sits. Apparently, the Skunk2 manifold is smaller than the stock and hence the mounting location for the cable is nearer to the throttle body than the stock. I have tried to adjust the cable to suit the mounting positing but the different is more than 1" and it just will not work. So I have to create another metal plate that extend from the mounting position to closer to the 4th pipe on the manifold.

I have forgotten to mention another modification I have done. Apparently, Skunk2 has 'forgotten' or 'neglected' the mounting bracket for the map sensor. On the stock manifold, it has a bracket that the map sensors can be mounted on. But on the Skunk2 manifold, there isn't one. It isn't a very big deal nor a big job to fix the problem but I thought that I should just let you guys know. I simply drill a hole on the battery tray and mount the map sensor there.

I have already let Skunk2 knows about the problems I faced. They were all very nice and understanding. They are ensure me that they will be looking into this issue with their team.

Even after all these problems I faced, I would still trust products from Skunk2. I believe they make some of the best performance parts on the market now. And I will still recommend everyone to use Skunk2 parts for their car. I'm currently waiting for a Skunk2 Throttle Body to come from the States! After I have install it, I will go to run it on the Dyno and see how much horsepower I will gain with AEM V2 CAI, Skunk2 Throttle body and Intake manifold.

That's all I have to say now. I hope that these information are helpful to anyone who are planning to get an intake manifold. If anyone needs pic on the modification I did, just let me know. I will post it on this forum.
Cheers!

Regards,
Johnnie

S2 Vs Stock.jpg

ECU-MAN
22-11-2005, 07:24 PM
wow sounds like it was a bit of fun,
interested to see what power gains you get on the dyno.

can you fix the link to your pics. if your having trouble, let me know, I can help you get them up there.

Civic_Si
23-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Hi ECU-Man,

Thanks for reading my post! I can't seem to upload any pic onto the thread. :confused: I dun know what the reason is. Maybe you can help? :) Thanks mate!

Regards,
Johnnie

DynoDave
23-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Very good writeup Johnnie just to clear a few things up the manifolds are designed as a multi fit unit and that is why there is an air temp sensor in the 3rd runner,your car the air temp sensor is in the rubber pipe from the TB to the airbox. the other thing that I do not understand is the map sensor it is on the TB and not the manifold so I do not know what you are talking about there.The throttle cable is also because of the multi fit deal again so that it suits the B16A and the ITR cables and brackets ,anyway :thumbsup: for a good writeup.
Regards Dyno Dave

ECU-MAN
23-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Johnnie

being a nube, you wont be able to upload pics.
email them to me ecu-man@ozhonda.com and Ill attatch them to this thread.

the map sensor also had me stumped, I wonder if he is talking about a vacuum solenoid.

barefootbonzai
23-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Yeah bring on the pics.

Civic_Si
24-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Hi DynoDave and ECU-Man,

Thanks for your input! Sorry for the confusion about the Map sensor! It is my mistake and I apologise! Anyway, I'm also not quite sure what the 3 wires are called. I have sent ECU-Man some pic and you will see what I meant by the 3 wires (relocation.jpg).
And one more thing about the IAT sensor, you wrote that it is connected to the intake tube. How would I be able to transfer the IAT sensor to the intake manifold? If I remove the IAT from the tube to the manifold.. What will happen to the tube? ? ?
Does that make any sense? Sorry if it doesn't! I'm only new in modifying car and I still have LOTS to learn!
In regards with the multi-fitting intake manifold. Before I bought the item, I asked for the manifold for 99 - 00 Civic SI. When I got it, I expected everything to be fitted in properly any problems. Like the seal that I should have received for the IAT sensor and the extra fitting brackets. I was quite disappointed but it is over and I have let Skunk2 know about it.
Anyway, Thanks for reading! I hope ECU-Man will get the pic up soon! Thank you!

Regards,
Johnnie

DynoDave
24-11-2005, 06:51 AM
Johnnie was this a PRO-Series manifold or the early series manifold.You are best to leave the IAT in the rubber arm as it stops the heat tranfering from the manifold and giving false readings.

Regards Dyno Dave

[stealth]
24-11-2005, 08:39 AM
carn where the pics Jonno!

ECU-MAN
24-11-2005, 07:30 PM
ok here are the pics

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2/1329S2_Vs_Stock-med.jpg

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2/1329Additional_Mods-med.JPG

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2/1329Cable_too_long-med.JPG

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2/1329New_seal_and_brackets-med.JPG

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2/1329relocation1-med.JPG

ECU-MAN
24-11-2005, 07:37 PM
thats not the MAP in the last pic, its a Vacc solenoid

Trust-Me
24-11-2005, 10:29 PM
what Throttle body is that?

Civic_Si
24-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Hi Trust-Me,

The 68mm throttle body is from Skunk2. However the throttle body you see in the pic is faulty. The MAP sensor should be on the top instead of being under the Throttle body. :)
And thank you ECU-Man for posting the pic! :)

Regards,
Johnnie

BiGANG
24-11-2005, 10:55 PM
whats the difference in volume as compared to a ITR manifold? have you got it running yet, if so is it a big difference. Looks the part but

Civic_Si
24-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Hi BigBang,

The 4 pipes of the Skunk2 intake manifold is shorter than the stock manifold. The holes are slightly bigger. The shorter pipes means that the air can enter the cyclinder head in a more effective method.
If anyone thinks that I'm wrong, please correct me. Thank you!

Regards,
Johnnie

south
25-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Hey johnnie,

Can i ask how much you paid for your skunk2 intake?

Civic_Si
25-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi South,

I bought the Skunk2 intake manifold for AUD$310. The shipping from America was AUD$68. So the total would be $378. Cheers!

Regards,
Johnnie

SPEEDCORE
20-12-2005, 01:35 PM
So have there been any gains seen?
Tuned or still running stock ECU?

Don't leave us hanging now..... ;)

fried
20-12-2005, 03:43 PM
if u are looking PROVEN gains then hit up dynodave, he'll sort you out with the right sutff.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18358

skunk2manifold dyno tuned by dynodave with a 4kw gain THROUGHOUT the rev range.

Civic_Si
27-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Hey Guys,

I haven't got my 68mm throttlebody yet. Once that is installed, I will go get my 2nd Dyno done and will update here! Maybe I will go look for DynoDave but dun know how much he charge for it. Also I will try to find some time to write up a review for the throttlebody too!
Cheers!

Regards,
Johnnie