PDA

View Full Version : Lowering DC2

shebangs
21-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Hi,

I want to drop my DC2 VTi-R 1.5-2" and I just wanna know;

1. Will this be too low? I don't want the sleeper look, but at the moment the guards sit higher than I'd like above the rims. Will it still be legal?
2. In the future I plan to get a set of Tien adjustable coilovers, but that $2000 won't be until I've done other stuff so maybe a year. So what should I do to lower my car this much without sacrificing anything? It's not going to be tracked or anything, basically I just wanna know if I drop it on King Lows or Super lows will that suffice? Will I need to replace shocks etc?

I don't want to spend too much, as obviously when I get the Tien Adjustables, I'll be throwing these out.

Thanks

bungsai
21-11-2005, 12:47 PM
imho, wait and then get the coilovers. You can pickup a good set in the traders section quite cheap. I got coilovers in when i was just going to slam it on kings. Dont waste you're money, i know its hard to hold off, but thats 200-300 bucks less you have to save when it comes to getting the coilovers.

The ride of coilovers is amazing compared to the kings, and ive heard bad stuff about them on stock shocks...save ure handling and just get some decent coilovers later.

shebangs
21-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Oh ok, I might do that actually. Maybe give me some incentive to do the coilover before some other mods.

In regards to coilover, On Honda's, what else needs to be done for almost track setup? I'm unfamiliar with Honda suspension setups coming from aussie cars (Ford/Holden).

Obviously the coilovers take care of the springs and shocks, but what about strut braces, control arms, brushes etc etc.

bungsai
21-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Im not 100% about this stuff, but i think front rear strut braces are good, with upgraded front and rear sway bars should see you with a pretty decent track rig. Do a bit of a search on sway bars, i think upgrading to a 22mm??? sway bar from whiteline or something is a pretty popular mod. btw if u are after whiteline gear, pm trav - egsi - underground imports.

Btw, i got coilovers installed that were from an eg, handling improves 100 fold.

Cheers

Matt

BiGANG
21-11-2005, 03:07 PM
i would recommend sway bars too. But another thing i would definately recommend is a front camber kit. I lowered my integra and it was chewiing tyres like nothing else. As in new set of fronts every 4 months which is rediculous. It wont really change handling but itll be easier on the pocket in the long run.

shebangs
05-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Okay. I think I need to rebump this thread, and re-ask my initial question. :s

I've noticed a springy ish/bouncing sound coming from my rear right wheel. I'm fairly certain it's my spring. I 100% cannot afford to get the coilovers I want now, but I need to replace my springs. I'm booking in for a $14 peddars check or whatever sometime to confirm my suspicions.

Anyways, on a lowish budget, for a car that isnt going to be tracked, what springs are recommended? I'd also take this oppotunity to lower it 1.5-2", but I want to keep my stock springs. Would King Super Lows be okay? I can't imagine it'll be more than $400 for all corners fitted.

Duesta
05-12-2005, 02:33 PM
you can also get a cheap pedders job at lowering your car if you want to as well if you want. Lowered springs on stock shocks isn't exactly recommended, but depending on the condition of your current shocks, if you're only gonna run em for about a year, it should be ok for the time being until you get coilovers.

bungsai
05-12-2005, 02:59 PM
bouncing sound?

Usually its pretty hard for something to go wrong with a springs, it is only a piece of metal...the only sound ive heard a spring make is a rubbing or knocking noise against the slot on the shock, or a BOINGGGGggg noise...

if u must replace the springs, get a second hand set of springs, like kings, Kmac, etc etc. should able to get a decent set for ~$120 2nd hand. Get em installed $100 . $220 bucks, car lowered, handling like crap, and ure wearing ure stock shocks.

If you aren't tracking the car, get a set of spoon springs, they dont lower the car that much, about 1 inch, but handle well. Can be found for $3-400, then dont worry about coilovers, but if its going to the track get the coilovers in. They are also awesome cos you can dial in the exact height you want the car to be at if u get height adjustables.

If you can, i stick to the advice i gave u up there...wait for coilovers. If you got 400 bucks, thats only 600 more for a decent set.

Cheers

Matt

shebangs
05-12-2005, 04:14 PM
I definately will be tracking the car, and I definately will be getting coilovers, but not for a whie. Maybe mid next next. Until then it'll just be a slightly modded daily driver which probably won't do much around corners.

When I get my car back from peddars I'll know exactly if it is the spring, but my guess is it is.

The problem is, it's not $1000 for a decent set. It's minimum $1400 for a decent set, then maybe $1800 for a really good set of Tien's (which I what I want).

The sound ... it's more of a creeking/croaking sound. From rear right wheel. Very noticable when the windows up, windows down with VTEC and you don't hear it.

Domokun SPL
07-12-2005, 06:13 PM
I agree with bungsai in that it will just make the car handle like crap just lowering the car with springs. Just spend a little extra paper and get some good springs (30% higher spring rate + only 1 inch drop), otherwise just hold out and get the coilovers if you must. Be warned though that the aussie roads are not fun to drive on with coilovers. The ride is very firm and you will probably find yourself mostly driving on the softest setting, wishing you had just gotten a good get of koni shocks and whiteline springs.

The stock shocks are just not made to work at that height and they will prematurly wear.

bungsai
07-12-2005, 06:21 PM
yeah aussie roads suck, i dont think the spring rate on my coilovers are too high, and they are on the softest setting, still stiff as! i forgot to mention before, a good set of coilovers will be damper adjustable too :D:D

btw, there is a set of brand new spoon progressives in the forsale section...

Domokun SPL
07-12-2005, 06:37 PM
" i dont think the spring rate on my coilovers are too high, and they are on the softest setting, still stiff as!"

So wouldnt that mean that they are too high in spring rate? If on the softest they are still too stiff....

bungsai
08-12-2005, 01:15 AM
it would mean that yes in the softest they are still quite stiff...