PDA

View Full Version : supercharger setups

MoDCoN
21-11-2005, 12:15 PM
hey guys! i know several ppl here have turbo set ups.... on all kinds of hondas. what im interested in is findin out if any here have supercharger setups? if so what sorta set up? anyone running an intercooled s/c job?

and before anyone flames me "oh turbo gives me so much more power, its so much better" i dont really care about max power, just about the entire car package, and i think superchargers can fit into the honda mentality... power increases linearly... (altho i suppose s/c's go against high revving - become inefficient)

so, let me know! :) i've been reading up on them, and i think it sounds like original fun compared with turbos. it seems very big in america...

BLKCRX
21-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Iv done a few supercharged Honda’s now, there always seems to be mixed thoughts on these but yeah each to there own. Were currently working on a clients car now which is a dc2r supercharged come down to the workshop and check it out if you like more than happy to show it to you, it has plenty of goodies in it ;)

Regards James

JasonGilholme
21-11-2005, 01:36 PM
what type of supercharger is it?? pd or centrifugal?? and what would you reccomend?? seein as though you come from a forced induction background.

BLKCRX
21-11-2005, 01:57 PM
I’ve had dealings with both Jackson supercharger kits and Vortek super charger kits, personally I like the Jackson supercharger design better, although in most cases it doesn’t allow for a intercooler setup. Personally most supercharger setups lack the ability to cool the compressed air, this turning them into hot air pump hand grenades for your engine. There great for the application they were built and designed for, like any modification its all about what you want as your end result.

Regards James

BiGANG
21-11-2005, 02:00 PM
for the dc2rs, from what i've read. The jackson racing one kicks ass, the vortech one is apparently ok but because the boost is minimal until redline the gain isnt that high in the lower rev ranges.

I have a question though.
would it be possible to connect some sort of actuation device to the cenrtifugal slower so max boost comes on at lower revs and stays at that boost for longer, for example instead of reaching 8psi at 8000rpm like it most probably would. Can you set it up so it reaches max boost at 3000 and stays at max boost for entire time.

Similar to a wastegate setup but for a blower? Has it been done and is it fairly easily done?

MoDCoN
21-11-2005, 02:27 PM
isnt that the point of a supercharger tho? if you want boost lower, go for a turbo set up. lots of s/c's are designed to pull up as you rev up.... ie more revs = more boost. mmmm

sorry to sound stoopid, but where is your work blkcrx? i am interested in having a loook at what you are working on... lol, but id be embarassed turning up in my dads scratched up camry sportivo... even if it is manual. where is my honda? :(

MoDCoN
21-11-2005, 02:29 PM
I’ve had dealings with both Jackson supercharger kits and Vortek super charger kits, personally I like the Jackson supercharger design better, although in most cases it doesn’t allow for a intercooler setup. Personally most supercharger setups lack the ability to cool the compressed air, this turning them into hot air pump hand grenades for your engine. There great for the application they were built and designed for, like any modification its all about what you want as your end result.

Regards James

is that true? what about running it a stock/low boost - 6psi? aren't they designed to run there and not be outrageously dangerous? i was reading the jr site, they reccomend intercooling if you are running more boost...

BiGANG
21-11-2005, 03:02 PM
isnt that the point of a supercharger tho? if you want boost lower, go for a turbo set up. lots of s/c's are designed to pull up as you rev up.... ie more revs = more boost. mmmm
:(

the jackson racing superchargers are at full boost at just over idle. so really it depends on the setup IMO. The centrifugal superchargers are like a belt driven turbo anyway. Just take a look at one. the exhaust side is just replaced by a geared belt drive. Why i am asking the question i did before because 'apparently' the vortech makes sweet FA torque and if boost was achieved lower i'm guessing the midrange power would be heaps better, which would translate into a better thrashing experience. Also a method of boost control on a supercharger would probably be pretty sought after if daily drivers are modded. especially with current fuel prices. Correct me if im wrong.

JasonGilholme
21-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Isn't that where a PD supercharger would be more of an advantage. They produce a positive amount of air so you get max boost at low RPM which holds through the rev range. The only downside is that they have to be mounted right on top of the intake which is sometimes a hard task.

MoDCoN
21-11-2005, 03:13 PM
well atm im just tryin to find more out about how they work; i understand turbos (i think) but wouldnt mind gettin to know more about superchargers, esp. seein not too many ppl know lots aobut them/utilise them. it seems there are several different types of s/c's, care to describe them anyone? would be muchly appreciated...

with what you seaid about the jrsc, that means that power delivery is linear, because it is at full boost from the word go... meaning more torque the whole way up the rev range, meaning more power all the way up. if so... why are s/c's reknowned for lacking top end?/dying out at high revs? isnt that bad for high revving hondas?

BiGANG
21-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Isn't that where a PD supercharger would be more of an advantage. They produce a positive amount of air so you get max boost at low RPM which holds through the rev range. The only downside is that they have to be mounted right on top of the intake which is sometimes a hard task.

Thats what i think as well. Imagine though if you can get a centrifugal one to boost from the word go, advantage of this IMO would be more top end + the ability to intercool the charged air.

with what you seaid about the jrsc, that means that power delivery is linear, because it is at full boost from the word go... meaning more torque the whole way up the rev range, meaning more power all the way up. if so... why are s/c's reknowned for lacking top end?/dying out at high revs? isnt that bad for high revving hondas?

im not really sure why the PD superchargers die in the arse at high revs but if someone could explain i would like to know as well.

JasonGilholme
22-11-2005, 07:51 PM
i think its because they're basically an air pump. which means they only push a certain amount of air maximum. which is handy at lower revs but when you get into the higher revs your engine will be suckin in the air as fast as, or faster, then the supercharger can produce.

The only reason a centrifugal one wouldn't be able to produce max boost at low revs is because its runnin off engine speed.

Now if you could use both a pd and a centrifugal at the same time you would be talkin some serious boost.

shmivic
06-12-2005, 07:02 PM
what effect would s/c have on low rpm launches ie: would it create more traction probs than ltp

BiGANG
06-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Superchargers come in MANY SIZES (CFM) there is no way a 4 cylinder engine could ever use more air than a supercharger of the PROPER SIZE can produce.

some people would argue that the PROPER SIZE supercharger is the one that gives the best result for the application that it is designed for.