PDA

View Full Version : non vtec to vtec, can it be done??

sharky
14-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Is it possible to get a Vtec head and put it on my B18B block with aid of a new management to make it vtec?
Also,
I want to put a new head on anyway so would a B16A or a Vti-R teg head be better?

aZZ
14-09-2003, 10:17 PM
yes if you can get a hold of the VTiR head you can do it, not sure if the type R head can work with the GSi motor purely because i think there is an issue with the Type R having secondaries that the GSi motor cant cater for. im sure if its been done it would be by our honda brothers over in the USA, they do some lots of Mini me vtec swaps. check out www.honda-tech.com.

sharky
14-09-2003, 10:33 PM
ok, so do u need a new computer aswell? Cos I know where to get a head thats not a prob but if i need a vtec computer that might be a little harder

aZZ
14-09-2003, 10:37 PM
yeh well unless you want to go aftermarket with a computer, then the only other way im pretty sure with the teg's is to go the VTiR series computer. purely cause it has the vtec shifting points in it and all the fuel curve settings ect.

sharky
14-09-2003, 10:46 PM
cool, cheers for ur help

ALLMTR
15-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Yes it can be done. I'm running a VTEC head on a non VTEC block. A few mods are required but doable

crx_16x
15-09-2003, 01:27 AM
What you are talking of is called the ls/vtec conversion in the USA.
Just do a search on google for ls/vtec and you will get a lot of responses.

One of the mods required is to plumb an oil line from the block to the head in order to actuate the vtec mechanism.

You should be able to use the wiring harness and ecu from the b16a to control the ls/vtec engine or just go with a full aftermarket system.

I have heard bad things about the ls/vtec engine though.
Mostly due to the shitty rod/stroke ratio of the ls block.
By putting the b16a vtec head onto the ls block and making the engine rev higher you are putting additional stress onto areas of the cylinder walls that are not meant to take it which results in the engine spitting rods breaking cylinders. This is what i have read anyway.

I would vote to go with either a b16a or b18c vtec engine and keep with what mr honda has designed well.

The b20 frankenstein engine is an entirely different beast however.
It is a lot better thought out, more reliable and has been proven by more people in the usa than the ls/vtec engine.

However these are only my thoughts and opinions based on what i have read on the net and talked to people on other forums. If i am wrong please feel free to tell me.
In the end however anything is possible its just a matter of how much it will cost.

Regards,
James.

sharky
15-09-2003, 10:09 AM
cheers, yeah maybe i should jus go and buy a Vtec turbo B18C from the states! ha ha when it boils down if i want serious power i probs should sell the teg...

one more chance
17-09-2003, 12:31 PM
as what crx_18x mentioned, although the a vtec swap can be done, dont expect that results to be anywhere as good as a B18C vtec! the B18B has a longer stroke compared to the B18B and the compression ratio is a alot lower as well! if i had to choose which head, i'd choose the B16a as the cam profiles are very slightly more aggressive! U will need at the very least a vtec ecu that will allow for the vtec function.

onabuzz
30-08-2004, 10:27 PM
what head would i be looking at for a mini-me conversion on a d16y4 sohc non vtec engine? and what else would i need beside the computer??

bennjamin
30-08-2004, 10:41 PM
WHY do u peopel want vtec so much ?

*sigh*......it IS a fad thing yo.

Chi
30-08-2004, 10:44 PM
its the latest fully sick phase sexy scorpio !!

But if anyone wants d16as i have 3 available hahahaha

And you can convert them to V-TEK !!!!

ECU-MAN
30-08-2004, 11:28 PM
if your teg has a P75 ecu its can be converted to a P72 that supports Vtec

Mr. Focus
06-09-2004, 11:28 AM
chi, you can convert d16a's to vtec???? how the???? me wants more info

KB
07-09-2004, 01:41 PM
what head would i be looking at for a mini-me conversion on a d16y4 sohc non vtec engine?

Either a d16y1 or d16y8 head will work. Would you be keeping your current car/engine for a while? Or upgrading in the future?

Your d16y4 makes 88Kw. The d16y1/y8 makes 95Kw. Thats only a 7 Kw gain. And IMO I don't think it's worth it for all the effort, if in the future you plan on upgrading anyway. Although saying that, if you plan on keeping your current car for a while and the same engine then my opinion is slightly swayed. If your dead set on NA tuning you D-series then do the VTEC conversion. Because at the end of the day, after doing some minor modifications such as I/H/E and maybe cams and ECU to a D-series, a SOHC VTEC will always out perform.

But many people will tell you that its not worth NA tuning a SOHC because after all those mods you will only achieve around B16a spec for a simular price of just converting. But it's your choice/your car so do what ever you want to do.

- Kyle