PDA

View Full Version : What brand suspension/coilovers have u got?

VTECfreak
22-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Interested to see what brand of coilover/or shocks have you all got in your cars?

I'm thinking of getting HKS Hypermax II coilovers, but have heard bad reviews.

Zdster
22-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Are you looking for general review as each brand/coilover will be set up differently for each car?

Astro
22-11-2005, 01:07 PM
what bad reviews u hear bout the HKS Hypermax II??

i have Tein flex...and im happy with them for street....soon to test it on the track and see if its stiff enough for track use.

VTECfreak
22-11-2005, 03:04 PM
alot of people have said they fall apart and they rattle.

Even the guy from IS Motorsports in Sydney didn't recommend them.

Thats why i'm interested to know what coilovers most people have in this forum.

Astro
22-11-2005, 03:09 PM
they rattle coz of the solid pillow tops....most brands will get that rattle/knock sound due to the solid pillow tops...unless u use the OEM pillow tops then it will be nice and quite.

all depends on what purpose u want to use the sussy for? track or street.

LowEk
22-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Fulcrum are good ive never had any probs with mine they go low enough and still ride very nice.

CoZZm0
22-11-2005, 07:56 PM
I've got TEIN HA and am waiting on a set of TEIN FLEX to arrive to replace them. the HA's are a little firm for sydney's roads, but are great on the track, i'm hoping the flex will be more comfortable on the street and i'm sure they will still handle the occasional track work.
Any suspension with solid upper mounts will rattle eventually, its only a matter of time.

bennjamin
22-11-2005, 08:09 PM
old vs new

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/79Image034.jpg

had koni yellows + whuiteline springs , now got a more streetable Tein SS's. Should be good.

Zdster
22-11-2005, 08:11 PM
old vs new

had koni yellows + whuiteline springs , now got a more streetable Tein SS's. Should be good.

Ben, did you get the optional pillowmounts? I know that most say it is not necessary for a Honda but I am just curious.

barefootbonzai
22-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Koni coilovers now Fightex Coilovers. No complaints on either.

Terry
22-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Tein HR....:D But feels too soft for me....:o

Paul1985
22-11-2005, 10:06 PM
i plan on getting a set of EG6/DC2 Tein SS coilovers for my EG along with ITR Rear LCA's so they bolt up.

lerroy
22-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Dam those Tien look sexy ben

gotta start saving for my set :(

egads
22-11-2005, 10:16 PM
i plan on getting a set of EG6/DC2 Tein SS coilovers for my EG along with ITR Rear LCA's so they bolt up.

ben's one doesnt look like it needs itr/eg6 lca to fit.

bennjamin
23-11-2005, 12:53 AM
ben's one doesnt look like it needs itr/eg6 lca to fit.

nup - these are actually EK9 ones. All it takes is to either change the rear lower bush to a EK one or slightly shave the bush itself. Works fine ~ .

Dam these things are chunky and shiny

Paul1985
23-11-2005, 01:12 AM
are they on your car yet ben??
id like to see a pic of how low the car would look on them.

bennjamin
23-11-2005, 01:16 AM
are they on your car yet ben??
id like to see a pic of how low the car would look on them.

when i get aroudn to it ill let u all know.

SiR JDM
23-11-2005, 01:23 AM
Mr Benj, ive heard ek shocks in an EG will actually make the rear sit higher than it would using EG/DC shocks... true? false? i cant really see how unless the actual shock is longer or if ur using an EK LCA and it sits significantly higher?

bennjamin
23-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Mr Benj, ive heard ek shocks in an EG will actually make the rear sit higher than it would using EG/DC shocks... true? false? i cant really see how unless the actual shock is longer or if ur using an EK LCA and it sits significantly higher?

strange since ive actually heard that EK front shocks are slightly higher than EG/DC....since ive pulled out stock EK sprigns before and they seem significantly longer than EG's etc. Oh well !
For what its worth , these are coilovers and have a good 4 inches of adjustment so the small difference should be not noticeable at all when adjusting the height on my EG :thumbsup: Well lets hope :D

EK Civic R
23-11-2005, 10:23 AM
I got Type Flex in my EG..
There alright for ordinary street use, but haven't tracked yet...
Hoping to soon..

Friend of mine has the Hyper Max II on his S15..
They are unbelieveably stiff.. It's like there is no shock or spring just a steal bar in place.. Cornering on smooth road is just fantastic, but I wouldn't recommended for daily drive..
His taken his out and put his stockies back on now..

kk_
23-11-2005, 11:54 AM
nup - these are actually EK9 ones. All it takes is to either change the rear lower bush to a EK one or slightly shave the bush itself. Works fine ~ .

Dam these things are chunky and shiny
would the same theory work with fitting these coils to a dc2 vtir?

bennjamin
23-11-2005, 12:23 PM
would the same theory work with fitting these coils to a dc2 vtir?

yes they will fit in the same way since the dc2 vtir has a very similar suspension setup as a EG VTi or Si ~ give or take a few varibles in rates and valving in the shocks.In that thought , I would think that the EK9 sussy is ore so rated to the Ek's and EG's weight , so it maybe alittle soft for a DC chassis.
~ Better off finding the correct DC2 setup for your car :)

bungsai
23-11-2005, 02:59 PM
i got eg gab coilovers in my car, work great. just had to shave the rear bushing down a bit to fit the rears in

28RAG
23-11-2005, 06:32 PM
has anyone had/has/heard about dropzone coilpvers?

[R]
23-11-2005, 10:19 PM
i have n1 pro coilovers (street and track use) made by buddyclub..
used it on track and i recommend them as bang for buck.. got them for $1000 brand new.
the ride is much smoother in between gear changes.. not as spongy with the standard shocks..
awesome for hard cornering and everyday driving...

CTR Coupe
24-11-2005, 04:46 AM
has anyone had/has/heard about dropzone coilpvers? Yeah I’ve heard of them. Dodgy eBay coil over sleeves I wouldn’t touch them with a 50ft barge poll. Better off with a good set of springs rather than those. There are plenty of bad stories about those on Honda-Tech if you do a search.

I’ve got a set of the hondar Cusco dirt racing specials. Don’t have a low drop on them but corner like a dream and would need a harder spring rate for track use but great for daily driving and a bit of spirited driving here and there.

28RAG
24-11-2005, 09:29 AM
thanks CTR coupe....they will be evicted from the car :p

ITRBoI
24-11-2005, 09:36 AM
i got tien flex........really good for street and track.......

alan
03-12-2005, 01:08 PM
what spring rates are all these different setups?

type one
03-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Tein HA.

Lukezen27
08-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Hay guys

How are OmniPower Coilovers?

I'm looking at getting some :)

Thanks Luke

preludacris
09-12-2005, 03:01 AM
hrmmz ,

i was thinking about getting some Tein SS for my 4th gen lude. anybody recommend this , i want a good street set up , smooth ride but good handling . would u recommend over the eibach /koni yellow combo ? also considering tanabe SS ...

i didnt hear too much great things about tein on Honda tech so yeah a lil iffy about them.

and hardly any ludes out there got tein SS so its hard to see if they are good ..

FloodSim
09-12-2005, 02:14 PM
SPAX RSX... They were on the car when i bought it so i can't really compare them to anything else.

Never tracked but I can't help but grin sometimes when i take a corner pretty hard.. It just seems to grip and asks you to push even harder.

barefootbonzai
12-12-2005, 12:16 PM
strange since ive actually heard that EK front shocks are slightly higher than EG/DC....since ive pulled out stock EK sprigns before and they seem significantly longer than EG's etc. Oh well !
For what its worth , these are coilovers and have a good 4 inches of adjustment so the small difference should be not noticeable at all when adjusting the height on my EG :thumbsup: Well lets hope :D

Yeah what sir jdm said is true. We shaved the eg lca and put some ek shocks into an eg and the back was quite a bit higher. But good news is that also on the same car we ended up getting some EK Tein SS and they went in fine and adjusted the height to exactly what we wanted.

12-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Tein HA.

Limbo
13-12-2005, 03:58 PM
5 zigen CTR shocks & progressive springs.
Thanks to a mate who sold them to me cheap.
They made a 200% difference in handling from stocks suspension.

Though i noted the stocks were pretty good to begin with except they were slightly jumpy when going into a corner hard. Coming out was great.