PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gear prob

NightKids
22-11-2005, 09:50 PM
hey guys

i've noticed that when i change into 2nd gear in my EG VTi, that my car does this lil jerk that i can feel it from my clutch. it's weird cause every other gear is fine except for 2nd gear. even when i try to release the clutch very slowly it does it too! cause one of my other friend that has a EG VTi too said he noticed the same thing but ignored it... i dunno maybe i'm just a crap driver but anyone else have this same problem?

aaronng
22-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Does it happen when you put the gear into 2nd or does it happen when you release the clutch?

NightKids
22-11-2005, 10:24 PM
it doesn't happen when i down gear from 3rd to 2nd but it happens when I take off from 1st, into 2nd & then i release the clutch...

aaronng
22-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Can you describe exactly what how it happens? Like this:
1) You're in first gear and moving.
2) Press clutch
3) Shift to 2nd gear
4) Release clutch

Which point does it jerk at?

SiReal
22-11-2005, 10:30 PM
hey mate, i used to have a EK1 sedan manual and i noticed that too. the 1st to 2nd gear shift boxes in civics are pretty shoddy imo, but from then on, its very smooth. Well one simple thing i did to help me fix this was to sit in a different position. rather than lowride all the way back, i pulled my chair forward, hence controlling my friction point better. after a while i learnt to drive with this fricition point calibration, then it was ok. also release the clutch slower. might help.

aaronng
22-11-2005, 10:38 PM
If it is when you're releasing your clutch, try waiting 0.5 second longer before releasing.

NightKids
22-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Can you describe exactly what how it happens? Like this:
1) You're in first gear and moving.
2) Press clutch
3) Shift to 2nd gear
4) Release clutch

Which point does it jerk at?

yeah it starts to jerk at (4) when i release the clutch. i find this so weird since all the other gears don't have this problem when i release it the same speed as 2nd gear.

SiReal: ok thx for the advice, i'll try to move my chair closer & see if there's an improvement. my chair is pretty far back atm... if this is just a issue with Civic's in general then that's ok, i was getting worried it could be the gearbox or clutch, etc... ! :(

aaronng
22-11-2005, 11:41 PM
You just need to time it right. Say if you shift at 3000rpm, then you let go of the clutch when the needle is at 2000rpm.

[R]
23-11-2005, 09:51 PM
i agree.. might just be that ur releasing the clutch a tad bit too early in second..

the bite with 2nd is a lot more aggressive compared to higher gears.

A.G.System
23-11-2005, 11:25 PM
As others have said sounds like you are just changeing at too low revs.

If you have a tacho what RPM are you changeing at?

Like my friend that couldnt work out why her RX7 was gutless and chewing through fuel. Then finding that she was changing at 3200RPM like in her cherade she had before.

Basically Let us know what RPM your doing the change at and then we can rule that out first.

mj3610
23-11-2005, 11:58 PM
hey i don mean to hijack the thread, but mine does the same, like when im hooning and i shift into second theres no kangaroo jumps but as it goes in gear and im accelerating to go to third the gear shakes abit just after going into second, would a heavy duty clutch solve this problem?