PDA

View Full Version : air filter? pod or CAI

cheebye
17-03-2004, 08:22 PM
umm.. sorry for the double up if it's already been discussed but this has been bothering me for a while! I'm ready for a filter upgrade and wondering which is best.

it's for my DC5R.. I was gonna say CAI straight away but looking down into the engine bay, it's almost impossible to find some space for custom piping into the front of the bar or guard for a cai?

I know the dramas of getting the filter wet, but that's the risk I'm willing to take! otherwise, I have seen some nice setup's in the engine bay, like a filter covered in a carbon fibre top which looked good, but the engine bay really gets hot even after a mild drive so would like to avoid putting the filter in the engine bay unless I got no choice.

anyone have any suggestions?

Thx :D

ts0nda
17-03-2004, 08:30 PM
my boss had a dc5r, he just a a pod there. it was too long ago and i cant remember exactly how but he had no complaints and **** did it sound nice.

he had exaust too btw

ah789454
17-03-2004, 08:55 PM
sorry to jack this thread but i was at hannys today and some guy was putting a mugen exhaust on his dc5r. and robert told him to his face that he was and idiot for spending all that money when it does do nothing..............robert cracks me up sometimes

cheebye
17-03-2004, 09:04 PM
sorry to jack this thread but i was at hannys today and some guy was putting a mugen exhaust on his dc5r. and robert told him to his face that he was and idiot for spending all that money when it does do nothing..............robert cracks me up sometimes

that's not the case is it? I know james (blkcrx) would say of coz it won't produce more than an ecu and a bit of tuning, but putting a full exhaust (headers back) and filter would see some gains, no?

A'PEXi
17-03-2004, 09:06 PM
ive seen sri setups in dc5rs (due to the space restriction as you mentioned)... i'm yet to see a proper cai system for the dc5r but i think there might be some around.... maybe you could do a panel upgrade or have a heatshield around the pod?....

ah789454
17-03-2004, 09:14 PM
the guy put full mugen exhaust setup , i think

Weq
17-03-2004, 09:28 PM
wow, full MUGEN.. thats 20whp right there. and another 10whp for the exhaust.

Xenon
17-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Dont waste your money on a pod filter or Short Ram Intake...
While the induction sounds will be sweet, u will end up losing power due to heatsoak from the engine bay... :x

Cold air intakes for DC5 - aem, injen have shown some good gains, but have to slightly modify to fit them..eg move washer fluid bottle

Mugen and GruppeM CAI have heaps of bling bling, provide excellent gains however are rather pricy.. If u cant afford it, better off leaving stock airbox in place and save the money for other mods..

Tofu
17-03-2004, 11:06 PM
there's been heated debate about intake set ups on the dc5 and the amount of hp gained from them

i use to have a custom set up with my stock air box.
just re-routed the original air ducting to the front of the grill
but now i've just gone with this
Top Fuel Power Chamber
it's cf inside

http://forums.clubrsx.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95450

timtam
17-03-2004, 11:11 PM

was it a white dc5r?..

McChook
17-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Robbie loves to stir. He knows what hondas need to make horsepower.

cheebye
17-03-2004, 11:31 PM
thanks all.

tofu - how much gains did u get with the top fuel power chamber intake kit?

Tofu
17-03-2004, 11:35 PM
don't know
haven't dynoed it yet
can't really feel any real "forces" if you know what i mean
but it is louder...i just love the look of it
:)

cheebye
17-03-2004, 11:46 PM
haha yeh, looks the goods :D

was just reading a review of the top fuel power chamber kit and sounds good. might look into it a bit further.

would U have a pic of it installed in your engine bay? would luv to see any pics u got.. thx!

Tofu
17-03-2004, 11:50 PM
that pic is of my engine bay...

cheebye
17-03-2004, 11:55 PM
er.. what pic? :roll:

Tofu
18-03-2004, 09:30 AM
there's been heated debate about intake set ups on the dc5 and the amount of hp gained from them

i use to have a custom set up with my stock air box.
just re-routed the original air ducting to the front of the grill
but now i've just gone with this
Top Fuel Power Chamber
it's cf inside

http://forums.clubrsx.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95450

is there a red cross again?
i'll send you the pic by e-mail if you wish

ah789454
18-03-2004, 11:15 AM
yep it was a white DC5R the guys name is peter i thiink

cheebye
18-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi Tofu - yeh there is a red 'X' there. If you wouldn't mind sending it to jurris88@bigpond.net.au, would appreciate it!!

2ds
18-03-2004, 12:47 PM
I'd say CAI with non oil filter for legal reasons =)

-2ds