PDA

View Full Version : headlight tinting

n/a
23-11-2005, 12:46 PM
hey guys, wanting to tint my headlights a light yellow or aqua.

anyone know if this is illegal?

bennjamin
23-11-2005, 12:49 PM
i really dont think so ! Maybe jsut get some slightly blue bulbs or slightly JDM yellow bulbs ?

destrukshn
23-11-2005, 12:50 PM
legal during day time.. or when you don't have to use the head lights.
at night no.
plus also.. they have to easily removeable.. so you can take em off when it starts gettin dark.
anything that affects the light output.. is practically a defect.

n/a
23-11-2005, 12:52 PM
interesting..

i think im not explaining myself properly..

i want this :

http://www.pcpcdallas.com/images/film/yellow-headlight-on-black-1.jpg

n/a
23-11-2005, 12:54 PM
or this :p

http://www.pcpcdallas.com/images/film/smoke-headlight-on-black-1.jpg

n/a
23-11-2005, 01:01 PM
i found it from this site

http://www.pcpcdallas.com

im a bit confused, it says transparent protective lens covers. does that mean that it's not tint film? it sounds like just like the headlight cover.

anyone confirm?

destrukshn
23-11-2005, 01:03 PM
i'd say that is illegal.
transparent meaning see through.
so you can see through em.. but i'd reckon it's still effect the light output.
plus that ain't in au either.

civiceg9
23-11-2005, 01:34 PM
is illegal to tint your headlights in Aus
u must keep them clear

PAPZ
23-11-2005, 02:17 PM
i heard that if u open up the headlight and use a transparent paint, but im not 100% sure on that. only heard of that agesss ago. not sure if thats correct though =o/

n/a
23-11-2005, 03:58 PM
i'd say that is illegal.
transparent meaning see through.
so you can see through em.. but i'd reckon it's still effect the light output.
plus that ain't in au either.

when you mean effect light output, i understand if it's tinted.

i thought that it'll be illegal if the the lights can't shine as bright as they used to, or the colour is different.

if it's GT yellow though, same brightness, and i don't think theres a problem with yellow light.

anyone know for sure?

Jr
23-11-2005, 04:19 PM
It is illegal here in WA. No way around it sorry, + why wouuld you want to do it? Just more reason for a cop to pull you over and yellow sticker you.

Civic Type R
23-11-2005, 04:30 PM
It is illegal here in WA. No way around it sorry, + why wouuld you want to do it? Just more reason for a cop to pull you over and yellow sticker you.

:thumbsup: Correct.

And Im sure WA's road traffic act and Police Traffic Code is consistant with all other states too. Headlights are to be 'white' ~ no exceptions

n/a
23-11-2005, 06:30 PM
awww..

i want the JGTC look! besides my front end needs some colour.

LowEk
23-11-2005, 07:11 PM
you also cannot tint plastic headlights/headlight covers as it does not stick and will blister due to the plastic "breathing" the other option is painting headlight covers with night shade.

cheers.

Civic Type R
23-11-2005, 07:42 PM
I did the JGTC look with my headlights with signage vinyl with 2 car shows once. In saying that, I also removed it immediately after each show.

LowEk
23-11-2005, 07:51 PM
just remembered a mate brought yellow headlight globes from revoloution they looked aiight.

n/a
23-11-2005, 10:05 PM
...the other option is painting headlight covers with night shade.

is night shade just like smoke?

anything i can do for colour? i was thinking of spraying, but i want an extremely clean and even finish.

damn you sure that you can't use tint film on plastic? do you guys reckon i have to use tint film for the effect i want?

n/a
24-11-2005, 12:17 AM
btw, where can i search to double check that it is illegal?

iamhappy46
24-11-2005, 01:05 AM
Use 'Model Car' Windscreen Spray on Tint. Works well on brake lights for that 'smoked' effect too.
Personally, I used headlight protectors and painted them black for my Black car, black perspex sheet cut out to cover fog lights and used the 'Model Car' tint paint to spray over my guard indicator repeaters and brake lights. Now my whole car is like a black hole, except for rims. Looks schweet!

eg_08_wa
24-11-2005, 01:54 AM
friend got his skyline passed by the department of transport with blue tint on his headlights and licenced so i guess depends on ur luck

LowEk
24-11-2005, 06:10 AM
[QUOTE=n/a]

damn you sure that you can't use tint film on plastic? QUOTE]

my brother has been a window tinter for 6 years and im sure he would not bum stear me niether would his boss. his boss has been tinting windows for alot longer than my brother thats how i know. it will not last it might last a few weeks before it bubbles up not worth it.try painting them go to autobarn silver can called "Night Shade".

bumography
24-11-2005, 07:12 AM
i got some rainbow transparent film for headlights
its bloody hard to put on though..

Terry
24-11-2005, 07:39 AM
keep yourself away from cops........i'd say better not do it:)

n/a
25-11-2005, 01:56 AM
iamhappy46: you painted your headlight protectors black??!?!?!? does any light get through from your bulbs? possible to get colours?

eg_08_wa: i assume his skyline is freshly imported?

LowEk: i was told that there are some tints that can stand some heat. ask your bro if there is.

bumography: rainbow tint is just clear tint with rainbow through it right?

Terry: i drive a EF Civic, cops probably say "that guy drives one of those 89 carbi civics, poor bugger" and thats that, never get a 2nd glance, so i wouldn't mind the attention :rolleyes:

LowEk
25-11-2005, 06:27 AM
LowEk: i was told that there are some tints that can stand some heat. ask your bro if there is.

yeh the tint can stand the heat but its not the heat that is the problem. its that plastic "breaths" so there for you get air bubbles between the tint and plastic.

cheers.

iamhappy46
27-11-2005, 08:05 PM
I painted an old set of headlight protectors and remove them at night, sort of like the plastic caps used on 4WD driving lights. paint them whatever colour you like, I only used black cause of my black car. If you only use thin coats, it should be possible to get light thru.
I know Standox make a transparent black, possibly colours too?? any1 confirm this?

TYPE-ONE
27-11-2005, 08:13 PM
fk who cares. just do it. i got OEM EG Headlight Protectors. Im gonna spray em a nice Colour.

Limbo
27-11-2005, 08:28 PM
you know that tinting your headlights/taillights are illegal right?
You better be careful a defect is more trouble that its worth

aimre
27-11-2005, 11:49 PM
U relise if u got painted lights (mainly tail lights) and someone runs into you, the blame might be shifted to u as they can clainm they couldnd clearly see your lights. Just a though to those thinking of smoking ther taillights.

That yellow tint looks nice. There are rules for this on the RTA web site.... i found rules on what colour lights u can have a while ago.... some a reserved only for emergency vehichles etc so watch out

n/a
28-11-2005, 12:08 PM
. . .There are rules for this on the RTA web site.... i found rules on what colour lights u can have a while ago.... some a reserved only for emergency vehichles etc so watch out

aimre was there any mention of what normal vehicles can have?

mrwillz
28-11-2005, 02:26 PM
it may look good in the day time, thats about it really

aimre
28-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Tinted covers are not permitted if they cover direction indicator lights or if they cause the headlights to emit
a colour other than white.
Some vehicle owners have even gone to the extent of fitting opaque plastic or metal covers to their headlights.
There is no objection to these covers if they are easily removable without the use of tools and are not used with the
headlights on. Permanently fixed covers are not permitted. Covers with slots or holes in them are not permitted
either, because they drastically reduce lighting efficiency.
Owners should remember that NSW legislation specifies strict requirements for vehicle lighting. Owners must
ensure that if covers are fitted, headlights continue to clearly illuminate the road up to 50 metres away.

Thats what the RTA says.... So even eyelids are illegal then. Unless u can remove them without tools.

And the colour of the light cant be changed

n/a
29-11-2005, 01:02 AM
hmm.. that's no good, means that these are absolute defectable..

i never knew the only colour of white allowable to be white..

Sydney_Lankan
29-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah i think they are defect cause i was going to do it lol but then chicken out
lol i was scared ma blinkers blnked red lol i think if u tint the actual think its illagal

Civic Type R
29-11-2005, 01:09 PM
hmm.. that's no good, means that these are absolute defectable..

i never knew the only colour of white allowable to be white..

Well thats what we've been saying all along dude.

joneblaze
30-11-2005, 02:12 PM
www.rockblocker.com (http://www.rockblocker.com/)

*keep it to pm fellas :thumbsup:

n/a
30-11-2005, 07:30 PM
www.rockblocker.com (http://www.rockblocker.com/)

*keep it to pm fellas :thumbsup:

that's a US site..

joneblaze
30-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Yes, it is a US site but I ordered a set for my MY03 from there. I have it here unused and I'm sure you can use it for your car. I have no idea why my post was edited as I'm just trying to help you out. www.lamin-ex.com and rockblocker.com are the premier headlight film/tint e-stores worldwide. You really can't source this quality here in Australia, if at all.

Yet another example of stupid moderating and ridiculous Ozhonda Nazi T&C's, of which I wrote half. Pathetic.

n/a
01-12-2005, 01:10 AM
Yes, it is a US site but I ordered a set for my MY03 from there. I have it here unused and I'm sure you can use it for your car.

jon, im a bit confused by what you mean here, as rockblocker.com provides covers for specific model of cars (unfortunately not mine :thumbdwn: ) or did you order just the tint film itself?

btw, forget the editing does it really matter?

bennjamin
01-12-2005, 01:27 AM
jon, im a bit confused by what you mean here, as rockblocker.com provides covers for specific model of cars (unfortunately not mine :thumbdwn: ) or did you order just the tint film itself?

btw, forget the editing does it really matter?

Come on Jon - get over it :) Us ****tard mods do it at our own discretion - not because "Wyn" has his rulebook firmly against the monitor.
I would of thought you would of known , since part of the T+C creation ~ to properly post up any complaints or queries or whatever in the site discussion instead of adding dribs and drabs at the end of posts.

BTW *moved* to general technical.

Question ~ Does this headlight tint stuff last or is it simply a temp thing ala trackday-light-breakage-protection ?

n/a
01-12-2005, 02:24 AM
thanks for the move ben :thumbsup: i didn't really know where to post it so yea..

with the lifespan, i know it as it's meant to be the headlight protector that is actually coloured/tinted not just filmed over. i assume tinting the headlights will have similar lifespan with your normal window tint, however someone in this thread states that the tint will bubble, because the plastic has to breathe.

is it JDM or AUSDM headlight protectors that are made out of glass? or is it neither?

joneblaze
01-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Even better... "discretion". So there's no firm following of the rulebook, simply inidividual random's discretion. Which means that one post won't be edited or deleted in any way by one random "Moderator" whilst an identical post would by a different one. Right.

N/A,I ordered Rockblocker.com foglight tints for the MY03, they accidentally sent me out the headlight template application, and are sending me the right item this week. I have the headlight tints available at home if you want to B U Y them off me. They are brand new and will have more than enough surface area to act as a cut out template for your car.

I would have simply cut out the headlight tint myself into foglight shape, but I'm quite particular and Rockblocker was kind enough to resend my originally ordered application.

You'll have to be careful regarding applying such film, as like you say they tend to bubble up and crease. The Rockblocker kit came with some plastic "smoother outerer" item plus some sort of liquid applicant, but I'll have to read the instructions more.

n/a
01-12-2005, 08:15 AM
pm sent.

n/a
01-12-2005, 08:30 AM
here's a direct quote from rockblocker.com

These films are designed and produced to not affect optical clarity of your lights and you will not visually notice any difference in beam pattern with the films applied.

and then they have a disclaimer..

Disclaimer - Colored films are not usually legal for street use on headlights. Sold as off-road use only. Most states have laws against any product that alter headlight beams. Please check your state laws before application. Installation of colored films on your headlights is done so at your own risk!

sneaky.. but does that mean i still can't use this?

n/a
01-12-2005, 08:39 AM
in regards to headlights emitting only "white", what about the cars that emit yellow light or guys with "blueish" light bulbs, does that mean they are all defects?

maybe the yellow is pushing it, but the blue may pass. btw, my indicators are not in my headlights.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/hotboxcivic/EF3/front_6.jpg

so that rules out the indicator part from the RTA, if the blue isn't too bluey i may wack on some blue tint!

btw, just realised if i was to do blue tint i'd need pure white bulbs.. :thumbdwn: