PDA

View Full Version : Front bar mounted PODs and water

shebangs
24-11-2005, 08:54 AM
I'm getting an Injen intake soon, which as far as I know mounted towards the lower end of the front bar, unshielded.

How does this go in regards to heavy rain?

It crossed my mind as yesturday in Brisbane was really bad rain, and it occured to me that numerous puddles and semi-floor patches would not have been good if there was an exposed POD under the hood.

Can anyone fill me in?
Thanks

stephen8512
24-11-2005, 09:51 AM
dude, this has been covered heaps of times already
do a search and u'll find that unless its completely submerged and u floor it and it sucks up a whole bunch of water, u'll be fine.
i have an INJEN CAI and it doesnt affect it

shebangs
24-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Mind linking some threads?

I searched but got nothing.

stephen8512
24-11-2005, 11:01 AM
did u use ADVANCED SEARCH?
heres one
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32409&highlight=CAI

barefootbonzai
24-11-2005, 04:37 PM
i'm in brissy mate and drove home in that rain. got home and checked the pod on my cai it was completely wet. didn't affect the engine though. there's water vapour in the air anyways.

NogZ
24-11-2005, 07:21 PM
shebangs,

If you're worried about hydrolock (where large amounts of water is sucked through the CAI) AEM has a bypass valve which prevents this. Better if you do a search on google to learn more about both hydrolock and the AEM bypass valve. As barefoot/stephen mentioned, small amounts of water on the filter is not a prob.

Nearly everyone worries about hydrolock when they're about to buy/install, but really Im still to hear someone that has experienced this. Since the whole filter need to be submerged to cause hydrolock, your car will need to be low and driving on a heavily flooded area. Its highly unlikely, and so its a risk not really worth falling over. :thumbsup:

hope that helps. :)

LowEk
24-11-2005, 07:34 PM
hey have a look at this if you are worried about hydrolock.
http://www.prepsparkplugs.com/hydrofact.htm

cheers.:thumbsup:

geo41e
24-11-2005, 07:35 PM
i had one in my DC2R and daynm did that thing scream!!

as for rain..no problems at all..i mean..if its flooding...i dunno...

geo41e
24-11-2005, 07:37 PM
btw..if peepz here dunno what hydrolock is...its as stated as above...but also, coz water can't be compressed!!! or hard tp anyway!!

iced
24-11-2005, 10:37 PM
shebangs,

If you're worried about hydrolock (where large amounts of water is sucked through the CAI) AEM has a bypass valve which prevents this. Better if you do a search on google to learn more about both hydrolock and the AEM bypass valve. As barefoot/stephen mentioned, small amounts of water on the filter is not a prob.

Nearly everyone worries about hydrolock when they're about to buy/install, but really Im still to hear someone that has experienced this. Since the whole filter need to be submerged to cause hydrolock, your car will need to be low and driving on a heavily flooded area. Its highly unlikely, and so its a risk not really worth falling over. :thumbsup:

hope that helps. :)

search on american ebay and you'll also find AEM STYLE bypass valves.

Weq
30-11-2005, 06:00 PM
bypass or not, u will hydrolock if u vtec through a flooded road. Ive seen ppl hydrolock with them.

In the end, u can run a CAI with no problems in the world. just be sensible.

yourfather
01-12-2005, 05:14 AM
btw..if peepz here dunno what hydrolock is...its as stated as above...but also, coz water can't be compressed!!! or hard tp anyway!!

takes about 4 tonnes of pressure before it will start to compress