PDA

View Full Version : EK GLI empty light?

chicken8
24-11-2005, 10:08 AM
does the 1998 pre facelight GLI EK have a low petrol warning light?

i dun seem to see a led there and im used to filling up when the light comes on so im wondering if im gunna stall my car in the middle of parra road with no petrol in it

notorious_ahmie
24-11-2005, 10:10 AM
i dunno man..i had an led there when i took out the cluster..it neva used to light up and i had the same model..even with the new cluster and eng..still dont light up :(

Bluish
24-11-2005, 10:13 AM
does the 1998 pre facelight GLI EK have a low petrol warning light?

i dun seem to see a led there and im used to filling up when the light comes on so im wondering if im gunna stall my car in the middle of parra road with no petrol in it

my 98 gli ek has it but i hardly see it, coz i fill up my car once every 2 weeks, normally half a tank of petrol left in the car.

mrwillz
24-11-2005, 10:14 AM
everything shud light up
i no my open door light use to b on, but after alarm doesnt come on nemore
thankfully all other lights come on esepsh petrol light

blu3illusion84
24-11-2005, 02:58 PM
i had the same problem too.. :(
too risky.. just fill it up by the time is hit to the red line..
simple as that..

chicken8
24-11-2005, 03:12 PM
im just wondering if i even have it

any1 know where abts the light is?

i dun even see a hole in the cluster for a LED

and also has any1 cleared out their indicators on their tailights?

barefootbonzai
24-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Friend of mine has a gli with the same problem. Here was his thread...
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30476

D16Y
24-11-2005, 04:42 PM
yeah mine doesnt light up too, the lght is on the top right hand side. hold a torch to it n ull see the petrol thing.

Menzy
25-11-2005, 12:08 AM
i would have to be in the same shoes as everyone else in here ... and i was looking at it the other day and thought hmm ... this light never comes on its an orange colour ... cause when it shines with the sun you can tell... ive never had it, i have driven my car up to 570 and the light still didnt come on, didnt drive it till i filled up didnt want it to stall in the middle of no where ... so how can we check to know if its working in the 1st place have checked fuses the light works ... so hmm

FloodSim
25-11-2005, 01:33 AM
My fuel light doesn't come on until the gauge is at least on the red line. I have a 97 CXi but i don't imagine the gauge setup on a GLi would be any different.

A.G.System
25-11-2005, 07:11 AM
Put it this way.

Did a test for you...

Thought id drive my car till the light came on (not like that ever usually happens) The needle was well BELOW the E level by a good 2mm before it flashed on once. Thought to myself that that wasnt good enough so continued to drive for another 50kms before it stayed on permenantly and decided to pull into a servo to Fill the tank (Sometimes you luck out an BP Ultimate is only $1.26.4 p/l :P)

On saying this Filling the car puts the needle WELL over the F mark also.

Guess it just depends on your actual set up as to wether you see the light right on the E mark or well after it.

If your filling the tank i find a good rule of thumb is to calculate around 450km (min) from a tank and then top it up again.

BTW last tank netted me 587km from FULL to Light permenantly ON.

As for changeing the "LED" that is in the dash.
You may or may not know that they are actually little globes and therefore prone to blowing every 10000 hours on average. May pay to take out your cluster and just have a check to see if the globe is OK. It may be blown or you may have just never ran your tank down far enough to see it.

Only one way to tell.......*cough*......*cough*.....*splutter*.... .....[PUSH]......*Curse* :p

baggins
25-11-2005, 07:55 AM
they have lights but mine doesn't work either.

Get a 5 litre drum of fuel, leave it in your boot. drive the car till you run out of fuel then u will know if ur light works!!

mrwillz
25-11-2005, 08:10 AM
that scary hafn the empty light on perm.

Menzy
25-11-2005, 11:57 AM
ok im on the stage to doing the same thing now :D
atm ive done 220 with half-3/4 the way so should be finished with the weekend coming up hehehe ... and will let you know :p of the results ...and A.G. System thats a good way ... "Cough""Cough"

A.G.System
25-11-2005, 05:02 PM
:D can you tell i went to the brainiac school of science?

chicken8
25-11-2005, 07:45 PM
:D can you tell i went to the brainiac school of science?

I can do science, me

moe
27-11-2005, 05:32 PM
mine comes on when i park it on the driveway(uphill) when the needle is almost just below the red line.

Limbo
27-11-2005, 06:28 PM
guys i think it must b a common problem cos i never saw mine either until once i went on a trip and ran below the Red mark. I still haven't seen it since. I just rem that i saw it once :).

Now that you guys are posting i can assume it might not be broken just that i have't reach that point again.