PDA

View Full Version : H22 for a '92 Accord?

HowlonghaveIbeendrifting?
18-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Well, my humble Accord has done well over quarter of a million kms and I'm beginning to face the reality that if I intend on keeping my car for a few more years, I'm going to have to rebuild the engine. I did a rough estimate on the costs of new parts for the complete rebuild and maintained a margin for other nasty surprises I might find once I open up the engine and came to a figure of about $3.5K. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this also happens to be the ballpark price of a H22 halfcut :) . So I guess what I was thinking is swapping my current engine for a H22. My question to you guys/girls is whether this is possible or not. I know there are a few of you out there who have done H22A conversions, but I also noticed that its for slightly later model Accords.

If this is a possible conversion, what type and year H22 engine will I be looking at buying? By the way, I'm hoping that my current engine will hold out for about another 6 months, so I'm not planning on starting this project right now. I guess I'm just ivestigating my options.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

- K

McChook
18-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Basically..

What model accord do you have?? I am guessing a Gen 4... came with an F22b??

B|ade
18-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Hey man,

You'll probs want a 4

There are a ****in endless number of sites and for the 4th gen Accords, the h22a is unbelievably easy to swap in.

http://members.aol.com/accorddrv/h22.html

This is a good one too:

http://www.altech.com.pl/wbt/_specy/h22swap/from_h22_org/4th%20Gen%20Swap.htm

I was always told that the 93 h22a is a good swap but when I got a quote for my conversion (which I didn't go ahead with), they were gonna swap a 92 h22a in.

Check those how-tos out man they should answer some questions.

If not, hit the American boards:

boards.hondasociety.com
www.accordinglydone.com/forums

Theres tonnes of accord forums around

18-03-2004, 02:34 PM
I'm not too sure about what generation it is (either 3 or 4, the front looks a lot more like a toyota corolla then a honda, if that helps), but I'm sure I've got a F22A engine.

McChook
18-03-2004, 02:39 PM
a shoebox like Blade's???
Sorry mate

I should have read it anyway, a 92 is the shoebox shape.
It should slip right on in there, but don't hold it to me.

poid
18-03-2004, 02:54 PM
yeh you have an F22A, the h22a is reasonably easy but 250,000kms is really nothing on these engines, so unless you are starting to actually have problems it'll last a good few years yet.

If you really just want a h22a, we then go for it ;)

Calvo
18-03-2004, 03:44 PM
yeh u've got a 4th gen accord matey :D

H22A or boost like sam :P

CHU85
18-03-2004, 04:52 PM
yeah it pretty much goes in with no probs except for an engine mount.
my friend up here has one and its got 130kw at the wheels and pretty much stock.

joyride
19-03-2004, 03:09 PM
so swapping a h22a into an accord is straight forward, only thing u need is to modify the motor mounts? anything else? relocate aircon hoses?

poid
19-03-2004, 03:42 PM
you change 1 motor mount to a prelude one if i remember right, the other accord ones stay. There isnt that much involved in it

i think www.h22a.org has a comprehensive list of what's needed

B|ade
19-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Yea the sites down man

poid
19-03-2004, 05:24 PM
is it? bugger

B|ade
19-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Yea I know

Thats where I got all my info when I was lookin into the conversion

poid
19-03-2004, 06:23 PM
ahhh well...here's a link for the 5th gen install then:

http://www.accordinglydone.com/tech/tech.php?ID=54

cant remember where else i saw the 4th gen swap info

19-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Yo, thanks for the URLs and the advice all!
poid, to be honest, I'm just looking for an excuse to upgrade to H22 8) .

4thGenExi
20-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Yep mate I own a shoebox as well :D - quite an accurate little analogy there. It does indeed come with the F22A and yes as a motor, they're harder than a diamond.

Look after it with due care and Kms pretty much become a non issue. I bought mine with over 200,000 on it without a second thought.

seanny
07-04-2004, 09:13 AM
yea. i'v had this idea in mind for a long long time. Is this dscussion about the CB series accords? I really wanna do this conversion but i need to find out more first b4 doing it.

10-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Welcome to the forums seanny! What aspect of the conversion are you interested in? Have a look at the URLs posted by Blade earlier on in the forum, they have a pretty good run down on the process and the things you need before you begin.

Cheers,

- K

urtwhistle
18-04-2004, 03:57 PM
hey all, i got a 92 accord aswell. im also in the same boat of wanting a h22a.
just out of intereist is the f22 block the same as a h22 block. if so would it not be eaier to just buy the h22 head and beef up the running gear that comes with the f22 or are they completly different.
has any 1 built a f22 to the spec of a h22 or are they a week engine.

well thats my 2 cents

poid
19-04-2004, 09:19 AM
the F and H series blocks are a little different. The F is a strong block, certainly not weak, but they arent designed to rev hard whereas the H series is.

The H22A head can be made to fit on an F22 but i personally dont see a whole lot of point to it...there is less mucking around to just do the whole swap, unless you have a spare head and block and wanna do it just for the hell of it

As for whether anyone has built an F to h22a specs, Bisimoto have a very quick all motor CRX (or civic, cant bloody remember) that uses a fully built F22 to power it, so it can be done. The F's are also a very good engine to turbo.

urtwhistle
19-04-2004, 03:14 PM
so basicly the only differenece is the f22 is low reving h22 with out a dohc?

does running a h22 head with dohc beef the performance much. im in perth so were do u think i would get parts or a complete swap engine from also how much would i be looking at for an engine with gear box from a wreckers yard.

if i do the swap i wanna rebuild the engine with parts to be strong enough to put a turbo on it, if i end up going that far

poid
19-04-2004, 03:58 PM
well thats the real difference, out of the box the h22a isnt as well-built for turbo due to the sleeves and pistons, and i think dollar for dollar rebuildnig the F series for boost makes more sense. I mean the h22a front cut will cost you 2,500-3,000; for that money you can get new pistons, rods and an engine freshen up for the F, maybe even some head work.

Then it'll be capable of 200+kw at the front wheels with a turbo setup. The H22A cant run a lot of boost. Some blow them at just 7psi of boost, the occasional one can take more. I've heard of the odd F series standing up to 14psi of boost when tuned and not complaining, and thats stock engine without a rebuild. 10psi is common place.

There are quite a few adelaide/perth wreckers that would be able to get you a front cut from Japan if you awnna go that way

urtwhistle
19-04-2004, 07:14 PM
chears poid. that was extremly helpful hmm. im thinking i may just slowly buy all the parts to rebuild my f22 with good internals. with a 5 speed out of a prelude or accord. preferably a prelude lsd that i herd existed.

do u beleive that changing the head from sohc to dohc would be benifical or would it be not worth it?

thanks.
u may notice how much of a novice i am. this is my first real attempt at amping my car up. in performance wise any way.
i have a preety speccy sterio, 3k worth, sounds preety good if i can get a digi camera i'll take a few pics.

poid
19-04-2004, 07:23 PM
the DOHC head will naturally flow better than the SOHC accord one, especially since the F22B1 head has quite small ports. Is it worth the trouble though? Personally i dont think it is, as its a fiddly thing to do the head swap. The H head wont just fit right on perfectly without some modifications to either the head or the block.

Basically if i were in your position i would choose whether i was going NA or turbo and go from there. If you are going NA then the H22A is a better base to work from. You get like 60hp in gains from the swap, which is a big deal NA. However if you wanna go turbo, the F will do it well. Rods and pistons are easily found, and the engine can be sleeved if you wanna go for big power. Basically you'll be able to build it so that it puts down more power on the street than you can use.

The prelude LSD does exist, but they arent that good for really high power levels. A quaife LSD will be a much better idea.

Dont worry about being a novice, i was in the same position 18 months ago ;) Once you start researching and figuring everything out though it gets easier

urtwhistle
19-04-2004, 08:32 PM
ok, well my ultimate goal is to make a very stock looking sleeper that cream my bro inlaws ford falcon. my father beleives that i am completly dreaming if i think that a 4 cylinder will blow his 6cylinder that is a bit worked.

i dont think i could beat it unless it was turboed so i think i will have to stay with the f22 and work it to about 250hp.
only problem now is that i gotta start putting some money aside to do this. i think i wouldnt get out of it under 3k.

20-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Yo, just another small point to add... Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be easier to source other performance parts like lightened flywheel, racing clutch etc for a H22 then an F22 later on down the line? If this is the case, then that might be a point to consider when deciding whether to go turbo/NA. The VTEC factor has also still kept me leaning towards the H22 :)

Cheers,

- K

poid
20-04-2004, 12:35 PM
clutches etc from the H series bolt on to the F series, and various companies now have flywheels, valve trains, pistons, rods, cam gears etc available. Pretty much anything you want is available now for the F...its not as big an issue as it was, say, 2 years ago

urtwhistle
20-04-2004, 02:01 PM
yeah iv been wondering about wat parts are actualy compatible between the 2 engines.
i realy must go buy a car manuel when i get paid next.

i got a little bonus my father gets car parts from some places at trade prices. so i might be able to save a bit if the parts are already in perth.

also i got a mate enquireing if his work will custom make me some nice extractors and get a nice 2.25' exaust. then i can do somithing realy dodgy. get the cat converter nice peice of rod and belt the shit out of it lol. take all the power gobbling shit out of it.
1 question with turbos what acutly has to be changed on the exaust to bolt on the turbo?

poid
20-04-2004, 02:31 PM
mate the cat on Honda's is quite free flowing, gutting it can actually hurt exhaust gas flow rather than improve it.

For a turbo exhaust you will want 3" piping for one, cat-back, for free flow, and a higher flow cat. The exhaust manifold must be fabricated for turbo and the dump pipe from turbo to cat is a custom piece. So basically the entire exhaust should be changed :)

The parts that are compatible are gearbox/clutch bits mainly. The H23 and F22 share the same crank, and i believe the same rods as well. As far as i know the exhauts and intake manifolds are not compatible but i have to double check some measurements on them to be sure

urtwhistle
20-04-2004, 03:55 PM
ok sweet

h22a accord
22-04-2004, 08:49 AM
hey matey, i have a 5th gen and i did the swap myself, easier than you think.

check out my webpage of the swap. its a crappy site but its better than being stabbed in the eye with a blunt stick :P

h22a accord
22-04-2004, 08:50 AM
hey matey, i have a 5th gen and i did the swap myself, easier than you think.

check out my webpage of the swap. its a crappy site but its better than being stabbed in the eye with a blunt stick :P

http://www.hondapitstop.com/member_rides/hondarides/accord_rides/1994_accord_rides/dtaila_cam/dtaila_cam.html

CHU85
22-04-2004, 04:25 PM
stick with the h22a in the accord, extractors, 2.5'' exhaust, airfilter, and u'll be able to beat that falcon that ur talking about. Very easy to do.
If u wanna go even faster then talk to poid or me about it. We'll show u where to go.

Khronik
12-05-2004, 05:28 AM
oh please don't do it yet, i wanted to be the first in melbourne to do it on a 4th gen.

Calvo
12-05-2004, 11:47 AM
oh please don't do it yet, i wanted to be the first in melbourne to do it on a 4th gen.
too late, Spoon-Accord already has a H22A accord in melb :D

toE
12-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Spoon-Accord's 5th Gen Calvin... :P

Calvo
12-05-2004, 11:03 PM
ohhh shit my bad, didnt realise he said 4th gen. lol.

Spoon-Accord
13-05-2004, 12:03 AM
hahahahahhaha..

calvin makes me laugh

bahaha..