PDA

View Full Version : lowered civic problem

ABZY
25-11-2005, 03:00 PM
hey all, all those out there with an ek sedan or coupe who have lowered the rear of the cars please tell which shocks they have used, i slammed the back of mine now i have no shock left bottoms out all the time, i don't know exactly how much its lowered, i'd say 4" as the gaurd is at my rims which are 18's... all help would be appriciated...

P.S i don't wanna go the coilover option, just lookin for a shock that can do the job with out bursting the wallet..

iced
25-11-2005, 03:28 PM
kyb agx adjustables
if you got more money koni yellows.

the problem is that your shocks have no travel because you lowered the car that much.

do you have modified bump stops at all?

soon2b300hp
25-11-2005, 03:43 PM
get the shocks shortened by an engineer - all springs in NSW does it and i have only heard that they do it to koni adjustables... they did for my friends sss - they also still have wty

elim
25-11-2005, 05:10 PM
I got 2.5" around, the front guard sits about 2cm above the rim of my 17s.... 4" I would imagine rim is tucked under guard... like nobbs's

but anyway to answer your question, yep i still have travel room. I wasn't sure if I bottom out or not but I cut my bump stops in half just incase.

ABZY
09-12-2005, 03:48 PM
how much would i be lookin for those, i did a formal last nite so o lowered the front aswell so now i'm lookin at all four shocks, the back tucks the the tyre slightly above the rim and the front tucks at least half the tyre..

looks wicked but a real bastard to drive on bumpy streets...

takin pictures this w/e so i'll post some up when i got some :D

iamhappy46
10-12-2005, 08:15 AM
The fact you have 18's would not help, had the same problem myself on my sss.
215/35R18's with a recommended tyre pressure of 40+psi cause massive jolts into your shocks that a higher profile tyre would soak up.

Noltec suspension now make a coil-over conversion kit, for turning your struts into a coil-over setup. However, if your on a tight budget, call a few shock absorber suppliers and see if they offer a shortened strut assembly.

ABZY
15-12-2005, 05:00 PM
this is gunna sound stupid, but where are the bump stops in the rear??

ek4-guy
15-12-2005, 05:13 PM
the bump stops r on the shafts of the shocks

cutting your bump stops thoe will not save your shocks its a safety precaution cause you can bounce straight off the road

ABZY
19-12-2005, 02:01 PM
yeah, thats very true... i tried the kyb website and they don't make the performance shocks of ek's.. i'm starting to think i mite save for coilovers since i'm not having much luck with shocks.. which coilovers would allow me to lower the car alot? my mates have them in there cars and didn't seem to lower them as much as i thought

Couped Up
19-12-2005, 02:31 PM
i got Monroes and they are doin fine but yea man ir eckon theyt are abt to blow soon
im dropped 3.5 on 16inch rimz so its not to bad!! Get coilovers dude

EuroDude
19-12-2005, 02:43 PM
A bit of topic but dont u guys find a lowered car annoying?

My civic is lowered and I have to remove the front spoiler everytime I get new tyres, get the car towed (2x distrubitor problems :( ), or get the car serviced. Not to mention the 5km speed I have to drive going over speed bumps or badly designed car parks, and having to reverse into every car park. :thumbdwn:

Was gonna lower my next car, but I dont think I will now...

ABZY
19-12-2005, 02:49 PM
i don't find it annoyin, part from the shocks bottoming out :D its just sumfin you gotta put up with i guess.. i love bein low!!!!!!

D16Y
19-12-2005, 04:13 PM
i got a month old monroes for sale if u want

iamhappy46
19-12-2005, 04:18 PM
I prefer to lower my car to a point where my CV joints are perfectly in line from wheel hub to gearbox/diff as CV's soak up too much power when they are not straight.

Of course belly scraping, decapitate a grass hopper, rip your sump open on a 5c piece lowering looks the goods when judged on looks alone.

There are plenty of australian coil-over manufacturers, whiteline.com.au and noltec.com.au etc or the mroe expensive JDM brand names.
I believe noltec will allow you to purchase just the rear coilovers(about $900rrp I believe)