PDA

View Full Version : New 4-2-1 header - Review

ginganggooly
25-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Just had a new DynoDave header installed. I'm very, VERY impressed. I was not expecting a bolt-on to give this much of a gain. Mid range and transient throttle response are the most improved areas -when compared to the old jdm 4-1 header.
The exhaust note has undergone a bit of a transformation too- the burbly noise at idle has disapeared, it now sounds very smooth all the way up to redline.
Lastly, the ground clearance with this header is vastly superior to what i experienced with the JDM header, these piped tuck in very closely to the sump and the collectors (which look like works of art) don't bulge towards the ground.

These are well worth the $1200 asking price :thumbsup:

I will run at WSID and dyno the car shortly. Watch this space :)

MR-VTEC
25-11-2005, 06:16 PM
pics???

vteccoupe
25-11-2005, 06:36 PM
oh u mean these headers r beta than the jdm 4-1 headers? :confused:

ginganggooly
25-11-2005, 07:04 PM
yes, they are hugely better than my old jdm 4-1

Cartoon
25-11-2005, 07:49 PM
any chance od a dyno sheet???, i would love to see where exactly the improvements are.

[stealth]
25-11-2005, 08:01 PM
what manufacturer/brand of 4-2-1 header is this?

tinkerbell
25-11-2005, 09:04 PM
SMSP i assume???

perhaps better than Toda?

see you at the creek, lol!

vinhy
25-11-2005, 09:16 PM
im guessing its a custom made dynodave header

EGB16A
26-11-2005, 07:01 AM
im guessing its a custom made dynodave header

yep, i'm pretty sure dynodave gets his headers custom built. I'm sure he'll be on here to let everyone know about them soon.

he should call them DODA headers, or DUNK 3.... LOL :D

ginganggooly
26-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Dave sits down at a motor and builds the header himself... so they are custom made.
Should be able to get a dyno sheet up in the next week or two.

Lukezen27
26-11-2005, 08:48 AM
any chance od a dyno sheet???, i would love to see where exactly the improvements are.

Yes some dyno's would be very nice to see :thumbsup:

tofu R
26-11-2005, 10:40 AM
beautiful work by dave again..
not many cars have these .. and these are a rare item ..
if i hadn't bought my spoon ones 2 years ago i would DEFINITELY get dave's work
ive seen pictures and DROOOL!!

$1200 is NOTHING for the 20 years of experience put in this thing..
dave has worked on hondas in GTP race cars.

he has also close links with american companes like rocket industries,skunk2 and smsp,

so they shoot ideas by each other all the time..

i thought they were going to be at least $1600 a set..

crxzzR
26-11-2005, 11:14 AM
dynodave builds these for all series motors?

ginganggooly
26-11-2005, 11:41 AM
sure does...

ginganggooly
26-11-2005, 12:11 PM
beautiful work by dave again..
not many cars have these .. and these are a rare item ..
if i hadn't bought my spoon ones 2 years ago i would DEFINITELY get dave's work
ive seen pictures and DROOOL!!

$1200 is NOTHING for the 20 years of experience put in this thing..
dave has worked on hondas in GTP race cars.

he has also close links with american companes like rocket industries,skunk2 and smsp,

so they shoot ideas by each other all the time..

i thought they were going to be at least $1600 a set..

spot on :thumbsup:

the clincher for me is that dynodave's cars win races... ain't no better result than that ;)

**Ghost**
26-11-2005, 04:15 PM
can we get a pic of these headers pls? :)

crxzzR
26-11-2005, 09:22 PM
i want one... shiny and bling looking =)
nah.. wait till i get my b18 1st..
=)
but hope he still makes these when i got my b18...

ginganggooly
27-11-2005, 04:54 PM
can we get a pic of these headers pls? :)

charging up the camera battery as we speak :)

tofu R
27-11-2005, 08:34 PM
hahaha I have a pic of these on my computer and they make the
toda and spoon pieces look .. just ..
amateur

Im not sure if dave wants us to post up pics though..
i think that a dyno graph would be more appropriate..

ginganggooly
27-11-2005, 08:48 PM
yeah the picture of the whole unit isn't going to happen without dave's permission
i'll post a piccy of the primaries, but the fun stuff is in the collectors... still, better than nothing.

DynoDave
28-11-2005, 11:07 AM
yeah the picture of the whole unit isn't going to happen without dave's permission
i'll post a piccy of the primaries, but the fun stuff is in the collectors... still, better than nothing.
No pictures just yet guys as Version 2 is nearly finished and I will want to test them before any collector shots,engine bay shots are fine.crxzzR I will custom make headers for any Honda what are you buying a B18A-B-C and what car willit be fitted to.
Regards Dyno Dave

ginganggooly
28-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Engine bay

http://members.optusnet.com.au/maituyet/engine%20bay.JPEG

Clearance
http://members.optusnet.com.au/maituyet/clearanceJPEG.jpg

locote
28-11-2005, 04:29 PM
ummm very different, and they are a 4-2-1 desing???

tinkerbell
28-11-2005, 08:03 PM
ummm very different, and they are a 4-2-1 desing???

ummmm, check thread title?

nipnip
29-11-2005, 06:55 AM
the merge before the collector looks interesting, very wide and spaced out

.::F[L]Y::.
29-11-2005, 03:46 PM
anything like this for the F20C? and does it come with stainless steel finish?

DynoDave
29-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Y::.']anything like this for the F20C? and does it come with stainless steel finish?
I will build what ever you need them to fit and no Stainless just yet, the current test sets are just raw mild steel and will be ceramic coated as soon as we finish testing the design on the road for a month.
Regards Dyno Dave

10KRPM
01-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Good idea......why use expensive ss steel before releasing the final product.

Either way....they look quit different at the collector area....quite big. It should be interesting to see the dyno graph of this and see how the mid range and low range fared after changing to this manifold. Im guessing top range would be a no brainer. But since when does everyone drive at max rpm all the time?? oh wait....we are talking honda's here..meh

DynoDave
02-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Good idea......why use expensive ss steel before releasing the final product.

Either way....they look quit different at the collector area....quite big. It should be interesting to see the dyno graph of this and see how the mid range and low range fared after changing to this manifold. Im guessing top range would be a no brainer. But since when does everyone drive at max rpm all the time?? oh wait....we are talking honda's here..meh
The problem in testing headers on a dyno,you only use 100% throttle to graph out and show the public, now not all headers make more than a kw or 2 at 100% throttle but what if it makes 20kw more at 50% throttle than another set of headers that where fitted to a car.Which one would feel better to drive and make the car faster on a race track or better to drive in traffic and in everyday driving? but the dyno says that the $1200-1600 dollar headers you just fitted only made 1kw more on the dyno.
Regards Dyno Dave

10KRPM
05-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Dont get me wrong...im all for mid range and low end power increases.....thats where the real world is for 99% of cars out there.

If i came across as implying that if the manifold didnt increase top end power by much and thus is wasted then im sorry.

DynoDave
05-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Dont get me wrong...im all for mid range and low end power increases.....thats where the real world is for 99% of cars out there.

If i came across as implying that if the manifold didnt increase top end power by much and thus is wasted then im sorry.
No the way I read your post I was agreeing with you and explaining why I do not like to some show dyno runs on headers.As it never really shows the true gains that the design makes unless we use a dyno like they use in the States which will show the result.
Regards Dyno Dave

fried
05-12-2005, 12:32 PM
The problem in testing headers on a dyno,you only use 100% throttle to graph out and show the public, now not all headers make more than a kw or 2 at 100% throttle but what if it makes 20kw more at 50% throttle than another set of headers that where fitted to a car.Which one would feel better to drive and make the car faster on a race track or better to drive in traffic and in everyday driving? but the dyno says that the $1200-1600 dollar headers you just fitted only made 1kw more on the dyno.
Regards Dyno Dave

exactly! :thumbsup:

peak power @ wot is bull if you never get there. about time someone considered this into their product :thumbsup:

DynoDave
06-12-2005, 06:51 AM
exactly! :thumbsup:

peak power @ wot is bull if you never get there. about time someone considered this into their product :thumbsup:
This design is not new and we have been using it for track racing since the late 80's even if the Yanks claim they where the one's that started doing these 4-2-1 design's for the last 10 years .The only difference between the early design and these new ones is I'm working more on mid range power and the part throttle power, the results so far have been great but I will redo the set that is on ginganggooly's car as the dyno results so far are good but with the STD engine it needs to be refined.So stay tuned as we are working on the next design now and will get them running around xmas.
Regards Dyno Dave

PIS01
06-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Can't wait for the headers to be on the market!!!

DynoDave
06-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Can't wait for the headers to be on the market!!!
Currently under development are the VTiR integra headers and the ITR ones and also the B16A headers and there is a lineup of other's that I would like to develop but I need to get this year over and we will look at doing more early in the new year.
Regards Dyno Dave

DynoDave
10-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Final tests on the B18C ITR design will be done next weekend at the drags the car they are going on ran 14.2 last time out and we are only changing the headers and will dyno it late this week so we will let you all know the outcome.

Regards Dyno Dave

pillow
10-12-2005, 08:23 PM
I can't wait to see the results. Have you done any custom headers for b16's Dynodave (I'm assuming yes), any results? Something like these combined with some other parts might stop me from boosting my motor....that and insurance lol. Anyways :thumbsup:

DynoDave
10-12-2005, 08:51 PM
I can't wait to see the results. Have you done any custom headers for b16's Dynodave (I'm assuming yes), any results? Something like these combined with some other parts might stop me from boosting my motor....that and insurance lol. Anyways :thumbsup:
Yes I have done quite a few B16A sets and the final design for these will be tested by another member on these forums before xmas so the production can start early in the new year.And its good to see you still thinking about N/A power instead of going to the dark side.:D
Regards Dyno Dave

pillow
10-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Awesome, so by the start of next year I'll have to think about it...

Do you do catbacks too dynodave?

crxzzR
11-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey dave, in response to ur question bout which engine + car i'm goin to be fitting the headers in..
b18cR [jdm] in 88 Crx
i've heard that aftermarket headers will give very little header-to-radiator/header-to-ground clearance for this swap...
i am guessing ur takin these into consideration as well..
anyway that will be next yr.. saving up for holiday right now..
tis the season to be jolly..la la la la la...la la la...:wave:

DynoDave
11-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Hey dave, in response to ur question bout which engine + car i'm goin to be fitting the headers in..
b18cR [jdm] in 88 Crx
i've heard that aftermarket headers will give very little header-to-radiator/header-to-ground clearance for this swap...
i am guessing ur takin these into consideration as well..
anyway that will be next yr.. saving up for holiday right now..
tis the season to be jolly..la la la la la...la la la...:wave:
Well your in luck there is more to getting a good set of headers in these cars when you do this swap,I will have the complete kit for them early in the new year as I will be doing a B-Series in a 1990 Civic sedan for myself.The kit will include a full crossmember so we can run better design headers in the early type Civic's.
Regards Dyno Dave

bizee_1
13-12-2005, 06:10 AM
sounds good to me Dave ! :thumbsup:
:)

DynoDave
13-12-2005, 07:31 AM
sounds good to me Dave ! :thumbsup:
:)
Its good to see you on here stranger hows your weapon going.
Regards Dyno Dave

honda_b_blastn
13-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Are you going to develop headers for the H series? prefer 92-96 h22a

DynoDave
13-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Are you going to develop headers for the H series? prefer 92-96 h22a
Yes we are and I will have the final products finished around Feb next year.
Regards Dyno Dave

honda_b_blastn
14-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Yes we are and I will have the final products finished around Feb next year.
Regards Dyno Dave

Sounds about perfect timing..:thumbsup: will it be a 4-2-1 or 4-1? i have a ground clearance issue(H22 EG) pretty sure theres nothing that can be altered to render that tho, as the jdm 4-2-1 tucks close to the sump as it is.

bizee_1
15-12-2005, 07:01 AM
Its good to see you on here stranger hows your weapon going.
Regards Dyno Dave

She's going right. 'cept for a few minor things. But she still screams so sweetly.

Here's a pic of my current header : (wonder how long till there's a hole)
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/656header01.JPG
:thumbsup: can't wait to read about the final product.

AUSVTEC
15-12-2005, 08:23 AM
This sounds great, Finaly a good header for the early gen. civic's and crx's....
Ill take one when there ready .:wave:

jdm_eg
15-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Add me and my eg-b18c to the list too :)

DynoDave
16-12-2005, 12:10 AM
Add me and my eg-b18c to the list too :)
We fitted and tuned a set today.:D
Regards Dyno Dave

DynoDave
18-12-2005, 05:12 PM
We ran the test car at Drag Wars at WSID and the car ran the best of a 14.0@97mph what made this more impressive is the car wont rev over 7500rpm due to a dizzy/ECU problem which we just cant fix.The cars best before the headers was a 14.2@96mph we will fix the miss and go back out in another week to see what we can get out of it.
Regards Dyno Dave

panda[cRx]
18-12-2005, 05:28 PM
i'm goin to be fitting the headers in..
b18cR [jdm] in 88 Crx

yeah u'll most likely have to remove the secondary fan on your radiator (or get like a twin core but half width radiator)
however most b series headers on gen2 crx's aren't too bad mate :thumbsup:

crxzzR
20-12-2005, 09:59 PM
secondary fan on radiator??
umm.. is that after i have the b18c installed?
currently only one fan on the d16a8..
didn't expect radiator to be replaced as well..???

DynoDave
20-12-2005, 10:16 PM
secondary fan on radiator??
umm.. is that after i have the b18c installed?
currently only one fan on the d16a8..
didn't expect radiator to be replaced as well..???
Do you run the aircon still if you dont the fan is no problem to be removed and you just need to use one fan for engine cooling.
Regards Dyno Dave

barefootbonzai
20-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Hey dave what car is this? Any more info on the setup? 14 flat is a very impressive time.

We ran the test car at Drag Wars at WSID and the car ran the best of a 14.0@97mph what made this more impressive is the car wont rev over 7500rpm due to a dizzy/ECU problem which we just cant fix.The cars best before the headers was a 14.2@96mph we will fix the miss and go back out in another week to see what we can get out of it.
Regards Dyno Dave

fried
21-12-2005, 12:30 AM
14.0 out of a stock engine block, ( from what i assume to be only I/H/E mods ) + tuning... is a flipping great time !

the numbers say it all dave! well done on ur header design!

DynoDave
21-12-2005, 06:40 AM
Fried & Barefootbonzai thank you for your comments the car is an EG Civic fitted with a STD AUS spec ITR engine and transmission and running an old MT8 Microtech it also was setup with a 3" exhaust as the owner was going to turbo the car but now wants to stay N/A,it runs the STD ITR intake arm and has a short piece of pipe to extend the CAI to the back of the head light.The header used where the ones fitted to Gingangooley's and as he cant get time off at the moment we needed to track test the headers.
Regards Dyno Dave