PDA

View Full Version : is there a big difference between the whale penis intake and those regular ones?

mercury
26-11-2005, 06:47 PM
was looking at upgrading the air intake to an aftermaket one on the ZC engine. Is the whale penis heaps better with that big carbon fiber thing , or is it just for looks? :)

SlobberGoat
26-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Is the whale penis heaps better with that big carbon fiber thing , or is it just for looks? :)

Errr... the 'whale penis' *IS* that big carbon fibre thing (unless you were thinking of using a real whale's penis)?!?!

mercury
26-11-2005, 07:43 PM
yeh so whats the difference between that and just a straight pipe? Does it really make a difference? or just for engine bay props ;)

MoDCoN
26-11-2005, 07:58 PM
isnt it there to 'curve' the air; channeling it into a spiral which has a greater velocity than air which is interfering with it self by bumping into corners/flat surfaces and thus relfecting back on itself?

mercury
26-11-2005, 09:11 PM
^ really?

MoDCoN
27-11-2005, 12:58 AM
uh huh... thats the theory at least. ask egSi about his replica... apparently its the sh*t!

Phantasm
27-11-2005, 02:57 AM
Isnt it just sposed to have a chamber of air closer to the intake, ready to give better throttle response? Much like a secondary more efficient air box?

aznsiko
27-11-2005, 11:35 AM
ive got the straight carbon fibre one.. but apparently the fat "WHALE PENIS" because it has that fat chamber.. it acts like forced induction.. so when you step on it.. kinda like compressed air being pushed in.. as big to small.. well that what i was told.. after i got my straight pipe..

bennjamin
27-11-2005, 01:51 PM
ive got the straight carbon fibre one.. but apparently the fat "WHALE PENIS" because it has that fat chamber.. it acts like forced induction.. so when you step on it.. kinda like compressed air being pushed in.. as big to small.. well that what i was told.. after i got my straight pipe..

"...like Forced induction" ? There is NO boost/compressed air at all in a NA setup lol.
Id think actually the opposite is true - NA engines seem to like a large volume of static air sitting and the throttle mouth ready to be sucked in :) So this "whale schlong" design seems to act like a venturi and gives decent reults...

dyno graph of stock vs whale doodle someone !

iced
27-11-2005, 02:26 PM

dont believe the word of a riceboy. a whale penis is not like force induction.

install a boost gauge and try it out.
it will be 0psi and the rest is vacuum.

Limbo
27-11-2005, 06:24 PM
The whale penis is supose to give you lower end air intake as it does not need to suck inital air thru the filter giving it abit of lag. The extra air is similar to your reasonators which gives air on instant flooring. Otherwise your car will bog slightly as it pumps in more fuel and get less air.

tRipitaka
27-11-2005, 06:27 PM
i get better fuel economy with the whale penis vs stock.

mercury
27-11-2005, 11:04 PM
anyone got dyno results ? hehe , i think im asking too much.

PaZzMaN-R
27-11-2005, 11:53 PM
i may be wrong but i also thought the bulge in the "whale penis" design was in order to compensate for the extra air needed once vtec is engaged, which would result in instant response and no bogging as there isnt the right amount of air needed. that what i think so may be wrong someone confirm or inform us:)
DYNO RESULTS PLSSS

EGB16A
28-11-2005, 06:59 AM
anyone got dyno results ? hehe , i think im asking too much.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1393642

not sure what his setup is, but worth a look