PDA

View Full Version : improving a stock system (mazda astina '92)

MoDCoN
26-11-2005, 09:42 PM
hey guys! im just askin a quick question about how i should go about improving an oldish cars stock system. it currently has a low budget h/u putting out 45/50W x4... now i was looking simply at budget speakers, preferably splits... i've seen some pioneer ones, and some jaycar stuff... what do you reccomend? a subwoofer may eventually be put in there, for the owner likes to listen to music loud (too loud, which is why we're needing replacement speakers... lol.)

thanks guys!

MoD

Bluish
27-11-2005, 08:08 AM
what is your budget? do you need to replace your HU as well? if your HU has only one or no RCA preout and u wish to run sub in the future, u may need to upgrade your HU as well. it is recommended that your HU has at least 2 pair of RCAs so that it gives you full fader control. As for splits, both pioneer and jaycar are quality budget speakers, worth conider, if you going to keep your HU, then a split, sub and a 4ch amp will be sufficient, 2 channel for splits and bridge the other 2 for your sub

Split : $150, Jaycar/Pioneer
Sub+Box : $150, Jaycar/Pioneer
4Channel Amp : $250 - $400, Jaycar, Pioneer, Kenwood, Cadence, Coustic.....etc.

mj3610
27-11-2005, 10:35 AM
if u wante budget speakers get the boss component speakers from strathfield car radios last time i cheked they were $40 for 6".

MoDCoN
27-11-2005, 11:18 AM
hmmm thanks guys. i had a look onlne, and it only has one rca output... now could you run the one rca into an amp, and power a small sub and two splits from that? the owner doesnt have a very big budget at all, but i was reading issue 26 autosalon, about his budget upgrade. the less the better really.
and with the amp, will it have a low pass filter (i think thats the one) to separate the lower frequencies out to the sub only? or are filters bought separately? cheers

mj3610
27-11-2005, 11:56 AM
yeah most amps have LP and HP filters...
about ur 1xRCA output, my old HU was the same so i just ran one wire to the boot and split it there using a RCA splitter, its the same thing exept u cant fade FONT+BAK speakers.

MoDCoN
27-11-2005, 12:08 PM
yeah most amps have LP and HP filters...
about ur 1xRCA output, my old HU was the same so i just ran one wire to the boot and split it there using a RCA splitter, its the same thing exept u cant fade FONT+BAK speakers.

awesome

thanks for your help! :)

EGB16A
27-11-2005, 03:09 PM
hmmm thanks guys. i had a look onlne, and it only has one rca output... now could you run the one rca into an amp, and power a small sub and two splits from that? the owner doesnt have a very big budget at all, but i was reading issue 26 autosalon, about his budget upgrade. the less the better really.
and with the amp, will it have a low pass filter (i think thats the one) to separate the lower frequencies out to the sub only? or are filters bought separately? cheers

Run RCA cables to the amp, and use splitters to connect up all 4 channels. I'd run and extra pair of RCAs unconnected (if budget allows) incase the deck is to be upgraded at a later stage, just to save the hassle of running it all a second time :D Most amps these days allow for a pair of speakers to be connected and the second 2 channels to be bridged to allow more power for a sub. Most of the time the power from the bridged channels (usually 3/4) isn't the optimum output for most subs these days, but more than enough to provide decent bass. There should be the option high pass and low pass filters on the amp (if this isn't an option on the amp, look for something else). I've read good things about some of the jcar range. BTW boss speakers are crap, invest in something else. What size speakers are you looking at?

can i ask what your budget is?