PDA

View Full Version : Screamer wastegates

Farkis
27-11-2005, 12:38 AM
i was reading somewhere that you can put a screamer on to your turbo and it sounds like a jet taking off, but its illegal as it does not go through the Cat. correct me if im wrong. but could you run a second exhaust from your wastegate to the rear of your car goin thru a cat. would this still be the same as a screamer and would if give any/or take any performance HP/torque ??
i would think it would still sound damn loud

Just a Thought CHeers

Q_ball
27-11-2005, 12:57 AM
question:

y do u want your car to sound like a jet in the 1st place??
having a turbo car + BOV is bad enough with regards to cops, believe me on that one.

newmski
27-11-2005, 01:03 AM
screamer pipe sound sooooo shit
my mate has a s14 with one... sounds normal when low rpm but when boost kick in its just earpeircing WAAHAHHHHHH

Farkis
27-11-2005, 01:34 AM
fair enuf, i dont have turbo (Yet) was just wondering if it was possible and if any one recommended it as i read in another thread/ forum that it have be done thats all cheers

LowEk
27-11-2005, 07:01 AM
the early rx7's series 1 or 2 i think had a lil pea shooter next to the exuast which is a seperate screamer from the wastegate.

LVNIT
27-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Also to note, if the screamer pipe is not positioned correctly, you are going to lose power.

Eg. With a incorrectly positioned screamer pipe in place, you're going to have issues with exhaust gas recirculation. EGR compromises the amount of oxygen availible, thus less torque and power are produced :)

Check this thread if you want to read about where it should be placed.

http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=2874&sid=0ade9901d914290eab22eeb4ba1a63dd

ProECU
27-11-2005, 12:19 PM
someones been reading H-T

superR
27-11-2005, 08:32 PM
i think they sound awesome....but in regards to legality , heavily fround apon if the cop knows what they are looking at (1 out of 50 lol).
hp wise, i have heard it increase hp as it is pushing less through the exhaust.

shecomb
30-11-2005, 03:52 PM
isn't this just an external wastegate venting to atmosphere?

As has been mentioned- verry loud and illegal. Not worth it for the tiny power gain.

baggins
10-12-2005, 10:56 AM
my mate just put one in his 180sx. So loud. I was next to him in my car, when he hit full boost it nearly made me deaf

Yes it is illegal

joyride
12-12-2005, 02:19 PM
isn't this just an external wastegate venting to atmosphere?

As has been mentioned- verry loud and illegal. Not worth it for the tiny power gain.

yes it vents to the atmosphere and thats why its illegal. i remember reading that the screamer pipe does nothing for hp..

Twincam16
21-12-2005, 10:15 AM
$10,000 fine for EPA pollution...

Not to mention big defects... best thing to do would be to conceal it behind a wheel arch etc, and make sure you dont fang it too much... most people just plumb it back into the exhaust, making it legal...

The main reason for a wastegate is to hold higher boost levels, while restricting damage on the back of the turbo blades on the exhaust side

madgrk
22-12-2005, 05:23 AM
A properly done screamer pipe on a car with large capacity (read, not most of your Hondas) DOES work, it's just too bloody loud to warrant the need for one. It frees the exhaust to do what it's meant to do, vent exhaust gas. Rather than trying to "fight" to push out what the gate is venting PLUS the additional turbine gas. And as some others have said already, it assists with holding higher boost, as the gate's diaphram can hold boost better than a turbo with an internal gate. If your turbo has an internal gate (and it works) then you're often deemed to be a moron to put an external on (again, unless going for MASSIVE HP).

And yes, if you plumb the system back in before the cat it's legal, and sometimes makes a bit of difference than an all in 1 dump pipe (HKS style). CES in QLD make a dump/front pipe in one that is like this (2 seperate pipes for gate/exhaust) which I have on my car and is great.