PDA

View Full Version : Hot Day W/ Exposed Filter.

TYPE-ONE
27-11-2005, 04:10 PM
hey guys. just installed my stainless headers last nights.,

Was driving it just now and felt the car was a bit sluggish.

Could it be the fact that my new headers was giving too much heat to my exposed pod filter?

Has anyone experienced such a thing?

Thanks

mrwillz
27-11-2005, 04:11 PM
i put stock box back on
confined box for air filter *thumbs up)

TYPE-ONE
27-11-2005, 04:14 PM
ehhe thats not an option. the intake i got is just the stock pipe. Havent got around to getting full CAI yet. But i'll get it soon with full custom aluminum/perspex airbox

Limbo
27-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Wrap the headers with some exhaust wrap (About $10 pr mtr and you will need at least 5mtrs). EgSi from the traders forum has them for sale. I wrapped mine also it keeps the heat down quite abit.

Otherwise if you can afford it they ceramic coated (Costs about $300-350)

It doesn't matter if you close off your filter your still getting too much heat in the engine bay which isn't good for the car as it is.

vteccoupe
27-11-2005, 06:07 PM
hey guys. just installed my stainless headers last nights.,

Was driving it just now and felt the car was a bit sluggish.

Could it be the fact that my new headers was giving too much heat to my exposed pod filter?

Has anyone experienced such a thing?

Thanks

ur car nids a better driver :D

TYPE-ONE
27-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Chehhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

EGB16A
28-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Wrap the headers with some exhaust wrap (About $10 pr mtr and you will need at least 5mtrs). EgSi from the traders forum has them for sale. I wrapped mine also it keeps the heat down quite abit.

Otherwise if you can afford it they ceramic coated (Costs about $300-350)

It doesn't matter if you close off your filter your still getting too much heat in the engine bay which isn't good for the car as it is.

exhaust wrap has been known to crack welds. use it at your own risk :cool:

fried
28-11-2005, 11:10 PM
ur header is probably letting off alot of heat - seeing as there is no heat shield. probably not THAT much mroe than ur stock header with heatshield, but enough that you would feel more heat soak through ur intake.

sivic
29-11-2005, 01:53 AM
make sure there is no exhaust leaks around header or cat either. that will make it feel sluggish.
i wouldnt worry too much about the welds cracking. sure it happens but with much higher power engines which generate a lot more heat.
either way, try to make a box for the pod or try a CAI style intake with the pod in the bumper. that will give a lot more low and mid range. i just went from a CAI back to short ram temporarily while i put together a new intake and the difference is very noticable

egSi
29-11-2005, 09:19 AM
i had header wrap on my ss header, didnt crack welds. :)

BlitZ
29-11-2005, 09:26 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

its cause u lost bottom end... and gained top end..

better flow...

std manifold is tuned for torque and bottom end.. aftermarket gived top end...

i dont think u have a heat problem.. the heat problem is probabably so minute with the recent tempertures... once it hits like 30+ degrees u might feel it.. and thats ever so slightly..

Limbo
29-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Mate the exhaust gets pretty hot some even glow red. I'm sure that it makes alot of heat!

Here's something to try. Start your car with bonnet up and let it run for 10mins. The go to car and see if you can feel the heat coming from your headers. I'm sure you will feel it and i can tell you the engine bay will get over 30degrees easily with the bonnet down. Feel the other parts or your car also you will notice the same thing.

Heat wrap can crack the exhaust if you seal the exhaust by applying the Thermo paint on the outside. I just make sure the exhaust is clean before wrapping and also i spray my headers with Thermo paint before i wrap to give the surface a nice even finish.

On my experience your NA cars do not get hot enough to crack the pipes, only your V8s and Turbos do. Also keeping heat in the headers will add maybe 1-2kw of power cos of the added heat allowing the exhaust to flow better being kept inthe exhaust, not to meantion the reduced heat in the engine bay.

There is a reason that cars come with heat shield normally. And i've wrapped 2 sets of different headers on 2 different cars with no probs. The first one was on there for more than 3 yrs. My current one has been on there for close to 12 mths.

VTi-R Civic
29-11-2005, 05:07 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

its cause u lost bottom end... and gained top end..

better flow...

std manifold is tuned for torque and bottom end.. aftermarket gived top end...

i dont think u have a heat problem.. the heat problem is probabably so minute with the recent tempertures... once it hits like 30+ degrees u might feel it.. and thats ever so slightly..

That's what I would bet the problem is.

How much bigger is the primary and collector size/diameter on your headers??? The bigger the difference from stock, the more low end you are going to lose.