PDA

View Full Version : Help with loose bolt

Chris_F
27-11-2005, 05:15 PM
I have tein ss coilovers installed on my euro and noticed a stranged knocking noise over the last few weeks. I thought it was just "coilover squeak" but when i popped the hood to have a look the bolt that sits on top of the shock was completely loose! No wonder the car was driving a bit funny all this while.

Is there a way of telling how tight i should re-tighten it? the passenger side seems to be screwed down tighter than what i've re-tightened it to be but i don't wanna risk screwing the thread... can anyone help me out ? or would it best to take it back to a mechanic and have him tighten it?

bennjamin
27-11-2005, 05:19 PM
im looking in my TEIN SS owner guide now - that top bolt ( 14mm i believe) should be tightened to "23.5 NM" ~ Im sure your accord should have a similar rating.

Jack the corner up , put on a jackstand and take the wheel off- make sure nothing else is loose !

Chris_F
27-11-2005, 05:22 PM
if only i had a torque rench :( i'm gonna take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

bennjamin, do you think driving around with a completely loose top bolt like that did damage to the car? also pretty dangerous i'm guessing!

bennjamin
27-11-2005, 05:31 PM
ive seen it happen on older hondas , the top nut was alittle loose and over time with constant bumping around from normal driving , the nut thread broke thru and the entire shock collapse ~ thats abit extreme but think about that happening while tracking ur car or hard cornering etc.

Just get a professional to tighten her all up :)

Chris_F
27-11-2005, 05:41 PM
yep will do, thanks for the help :)

im just lucky i found it before i went on one of my weekly "spirited drives"!