PDA

View Full Version : Luxury17s on a standard euro ?

stephen_j_k
27-11-2005, 09:50 PM
hello euro lovers

anyone out there put a set of euro luxury 17" rims on a standard euro ? i was looking to do this (if i can find a set of reasonably priced second hand 17s) but honda advised me theres a difference between the 2 models and as a result there can be inside scrapping if you fit them to the standard euro. does this sound right to the mechanically inclined out there ??

by the way, the best price i got from a honda dealer in perth for new 17s with bridgestones fitted and balanced is $3150 !!

i'll probably just go for aftermarket 18s but i like the idea of keeping it all honda.

thanks in advance

stephen8512
27-11-2005, 09:58 PM
hey mate.
im upgradin my rims to 19's soon and i will be lookin at sellin my 17" OEM honda rims
will PM u if u still want it

baboo
28-11-2005, 10:47 AM
honda advised me theres a difference between the 2 models and as a result there can be inside scrapping if you fit them to the standard euro.

Who's been feeding you junk?

FR33K
28-11-2005, 10:52 AM
hahaha the funniest thing ive ever heard

stephen8512
28-11-2005, 12:17 PM
i dont see why it would result in scraping
thats a load of Shite from what i can see....

UNLS1
28-11-2005, 12:41 PM
the suspension was revised to fit the 17" wheels on the euro luxury....so even if the customers ask for the 17"s on a std euro, honda aus wont let us do it....

baboo
28-11-2005, 01:12 PM
show me the prove. proof...lol sorry

There's no visual difference on the suspension struts and components between 03, 04, 05.

Yes, the spring/compression rate might've been revised. But it doesn't stop the fact that 17" rims can be fitted to 03 & 04 version.

stephen8512
28-11-2005, 01:17 PM
show me the prove.

There's no visual difference on the suspension struts and components between 03, 04, 05.

Yes, the spring/compression rate might've been revised. But it doesn't stop the fact that 17" rims can be fitted to 03 & 04 version.

yfin
28-11-2005, 01:39 PM
the suspension was revised to fit the 17" wheels on the euro luxury....so even if the customers ask for the 17"s on a std euro, honda aus wont let us do it....

In the UK and Japan for a number of years 17" rims have been optional extras for all Accord Euro variants (yes the models that come with stock 16" rims) . The rims were not sold on the basis that different suspension was required.

So the Honda Aus position is strange to say the least. To say it can cause scraping is a lame reason. It is certainly wrong IMO.

stephen8512
28-11-2005, 02:03 PM
and chances are, theres a higher risk of rims rubbing with aftermarket rims than HONDA OEM's....
honda aus are stupid.....

albii
28-11-2005, 02:26 PM
there is an old guy with a standard ssm in bris and he has the factory 17s...he said they cost him an eyeball.
by the way he ordered it like that from new.

Tobster
28-11-2005, 03:54 PM
It might be a line to promote sales of the luxury version -- but that would be a breach of section 52 of the Trade Practices Act (deceptive conduct), so you presume that Honda wouldn't be so silly. It might be that since most imported cars get their suspension tweaked for Australian road conditions, we may have had different suspension components on our cars from what was available in Japan and Europe -- which is what is now on the luxury model.

It quite possibly has more to do with the width of the 17 rim than the height (just a thought).

For years, Mitsubishi Australia had the same line with Magnas and wouldn't fit anything larger than a 16 inch wheel, saying that under certain (extreme) conditions the suspension could come in contact with the rims. Their suspension was changed to fit 17s to the VRXs. They never fitted anything bigger than 16s to the AWD models for same reason.

It might sound a bit "soft", and the likelihood of it happening is probably negligible, but they do have to protect their warranty interests...

You also need to consider the implications of poor engineering like the Ford-Firestone issue in previous years which resulted in deaths and a lot of law suits. Honda has to cover itself in the event of any possible law suit, so its safer to say outright that it's unsafe.

UNLS1
28-11-2005, 06:15 PM
lol im just going on what im told.......make sure it doesnt affect ur warranty either.....

coz if honda says u cant do it, or the wont fit them and u have a suspension prob under warranty they can blame the wheels.......believe me...

dont know how the hell they could scrape though lol.......

but im just goin on wat im told.......so dont hate me lol, im trying to get my boss to put 20"'s on the MDX and 18"s on the odyssey lol

yfin
28-11-2005, 08:13 PM
UNLS1 - you know as well as I do Honda can argue its way out of any warranty issue if it wanted to. "Wear and tear", "road damage", "non genuine parts", etc.

For example - a few of the CL9 owners in the USA have had to fork out $600US+ for air con repairs due to the air conditioner condensor cracking. I would have thought this would be a warranty item.

Hondas response? A small stone hit the condensor from the road so it is "road damage" - and not covered by warranty. If you look at the position of the condensor - lower front - no grill, no protection at all - I am surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Another member here was forced to pay for a new clutch in some ridiculous time frame - 9000kms or something like that. Honda said it was wear and tear. The member said he has drived a manual for many years and didn't thrash the car, etc.

stephen_j_k
28-11-2005, 08:52 PM
yep that was the other thing the dealer told me, that besides the possible scrapping honda wouldnt cover any suspension problems under warranty if i was to fit them (i guess the same is true though if i fit aftermarket rims anyways).

eurosp
29-11-2005, 11:31 AM
I have just fited a set of 17" OEM tyres in my Std Euro, I did not find any problem with them.
In fact, I notice some (intermitent)scrubbing of my 16" wheels on the caliper (front pessanget side) when I am turning left, and now with the 17", so far it hasn't scratch a bit.

BiLL|z0r
29-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I have just fited a set of 17" OEM tyres in my Std Euro, I did not find any problem with them.
In fact, I notice some (intermitent)scrubbing of my 16" wheels on the caliper (front pessanget side) when I am turning left, and now with the 17", so far it hasn't scratch a bit.

It's funny you mention that, as I have a "clunking" noice from the front when gobing over bumps and sometimes braking and turning left. I wonder if this could be my problem as well.

aaronng
29-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Did you find you rims having scratches due to the rubbing from the calipers? The way that the caliper, disc and rims are secured to the suspension assembly, I don't think you can scrape your rims on the calipers.

eurosp
29-11-2005, 03:08 PM
It's funny you mention that, as I have a "clunking" noice from the front when gobing over bumps and sometimes braking and turning left. I wonder if this could be my problem as well.

Did you also have the noise when you reverse as well? I had similar problem B4, its the suspension.

read this:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30310&page=2&pp=12

Did you find you rims having scratches due to the rubbing from the calipers? The way that the caliper, disc and rims are secured to the suspension assembly, I don't think you can scrape your rims on the calipers.

I have my caliper spry, I can see paint scrach off from the caliper (a few spots), but I cannot see any paint marks on the rim. :confused:

aaronng
29-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Are the scratches at the edges that would come in contact with the rim?

eurosp
29-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Are the scratches at the edges that would come in contact with the rim?

Yes, they are near the edges, it can be. Funny thing is, I cannot find paint marks on the inside of the rim, so don't know what it is scratching. Can only assume is the inside rim.

baboo
29-11-2005, 03:31 PM
sometimes a small pebble or rock from the road might've stuck between the caliper and rim since the clearance between those 16" rims and caliper is tiny.

yfin
29-11-2005, 08:42 PM

I am almost certain this is the VSA braking an individual wheel - not your rims.

Suntzu
29-11-2005, 11:08 PM
My 18x7 on my 05 standard are doing just great. They are 45 offset.

BiLL|z0r
30-11-2005, 06:54 AM
I am almost certain this is the VSA braking an individual wheel - not your rims.

That's actually a very good point. It always does it coming in and out of the driveway so I'll turn it off and see. Thanks

albii
30-11-2005, 10:54 AM
My 18x7 on my 05 standard are doing just great. They are 45 offset.
i got 18x8 and they're fine. no noises or issues at all and my dealer has'nt said a thing.

eurosp
30-11-2005, 02:33 PM

Will VSA turn it self on when the car is travelling at a very low speed (ie. 10km/h or less)? It usually happen when I am turning out of the driveway as well (like what happen to Bill), and sometimes when I am driving out a multi level carpark. Always happen when doing a left turn not right turn.

BiLL|z0r
30-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Gonna continue this in a new thread so not to hijack (anymore). I did some testing today.

PERTH_EURO
01-12-2005, 10:30 AM
i got 18x8 and they're fine. no noises or issues at all and my dealer has'nt said a thing.

and they probably won't until something goes wrong.
Risk we take hey :thumbsup: love the 18's

euro1978
03-12-2005, 09:40 PM
I put 2005 17s on my 2003 and I have clunking noises coming from all 4 rims.

I am joking - of course you can put the 17s on a pre 05 lux/standard euro.

/thread (this thread is painful)

/thread.