PDA

View Full Version : 2.25 inch system with factory muffler make any difference?

Nuttz
18-03-2004, 10:34 PM
In theory the most flow is going to be at the point where the flow is the most restricted. eg. muffler.

Will there be any gains?? because the time it gets to the restriction the exhuast speed would have slowed already..

Kit
18-03-2004, 11:12 PM
I would say it wouldnt have much (if any at all) performance gain if you are retaining the standard muffler, as in a standard system the muffler is the biggest restriction point. the standard muffler has 3 baffles from memory.

even if you replaced the full cat back, i would recommend sticking to a 2 inch mandrel bent system. With a 2.25 inch system, you would gain a bit more power up top, but you should lose a significant amount of low to mid range torque due to the increased pipe diameter.

Chris

hondar
19-03-2004, 05:29 AM
what engine and car do u have mate?

what is your aim goal out of upgrading the exhaust system? low, high end?

what hp are you hoping that you car will produce?

from here, this will help answering your questions that you just asked. :)

Kit
19-03-2004, 09:21 AM
apparently the EK civic B pipe good enough for 200hp before it becomes a restriction, hence mugen only made a muffler (the twin loop) for the EK civic. can anyone confirm or deny that?

oh and Nuttz, i'm assuming you've got a civic cos of your avatar.

VTEChnique
19-03-2004, 11:06 AM
I have STOCK exhaust manifold and cat-back and replaced my axle-back muffler with a straight-thru with mandrel bends on the pipe and got noticible gains !!

however I think that if you swap pipes and keep the stock muffler you wont get much of a gain if any.

Mugen Twin loop was mainly designed for the EK9, but I have seen the mugen catalog and it is also available for the little lunchbox beastly hondas whatever they are called.. stream and modulo ?

the Twin loop is essentially a straight thru in design with NO baffles, but it loops around as the name suggests. CivicTypeR has a replica one and when he revs it you can tell the back pressure is kept constant and doesnt have the all or nothing kinda flow of the cannon-style mufflers.. I expect this to relate to increase in low + Mid RPM also throttle response, yet this system doesnt seem to hurt the top end, but opbvioously not as good as cannonball for top end..

Nuttz
19-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Thanks VTECnique. good info
I was thinking of just putting on an axle back straight through muffler. But
then I thought seems a bit ricey. then I thought I want performance but would prefer something quiet.

Kit your assumption is correct. I got a civic 1.6 SOHC vtec

dam this equation
Power = Noise !!!!!

Kit
20-03-2004, 01:13 AM
Nuttz,
How quiet are you wanting it?
if you want something quiet with decent power gains, get a japanese cat back with a largish resonator. It will still be louder that stock, but won't be as loud as most custom made exhausts.

power doesnt always = loud! :)

oh and 2 inch will be quieter than 2.25 inch.

I used to have an EK4 with 2 inch piping and a blast muffler on the end. In the middle I got them to put the largest and longest straight through resonator they had.. it was actually quite quiet actually

the other thing you can do is go for sound deadening. but the problem with stuff like Brown bread etc, its very heavy, so might even negate your power gains with the added weight.

Chris

ah789454
20-03-2004, 07:33 AM
VTEChnique - i check out my exhaust the other day and i notice the thing in betweent the muffler and the cat way is that. what is it?? i noticed that a sports exhaust doesnt have this middle exhaust component

Kit
20-03-2004, 08:01 AM
VTEChnique - i check out my exhaust the other day and i notice the thing in betweent the muffler and the cat way is that. what is it?? i noticed that a sports exhaust doesnt have this middle exhaust component

are you talking about the resonator? its like a muffler in between the cat and the rear muffler right?

thats to quiet things down. a bit more, as a straight through muffler at the isnt as effective at muffling the exhaust sound as some bigger mufflers.

most aftermarket exhausts for Honda's will have one, some like the Buddy Club have a really small one (hence its so loud!). most custom made aftermarket exhausts use a Hotdog resonator, where its a roundish lower profiled resonator.

Some turbo exhausts dont have a resonator cos the turbo blocks out alot of the exhaust sound already hence in some turbo cars, no resonator is needed, also cos removing it aids flow.

Chris

wil
20-03-2004, 09:19 PM
some nice info.....