PDA

View Full Version : Powerchips and what mods to do for under $2000

Ironfist
15-09-2003, 12:50 AM
Hi
i have a 1994 VTIR
My main goal is just to add a little bit more power to the car to cater for the extra 100kilo's the subbox is making and also to make my car feel a bit better up the hills (torque)? or should i not spend the money at all because it would be just a waste?

Firstly Powerchips, i think the company is powerchip.com.au or somthing.
What do they do? because i don't understand how they can make your car get an extra (or up to) 20kw.

My friend who has a BMWis 1990 model bought one of these and had it installed in his car and it made a big difference. The car went from 0-100 in 9.8 sec to 7.5 sec (times are done by hand) but in any event it made the car significantly faster, just as fast as my car. I think vtirs do 0-100 in 7.5?? don't quote me on that.
So would there be a point in purchasing one of these things? and is it like hondata (not that i know much about that either)

or

If the decision to getting the powerchip is a bad idea what mods should i do to my car for under $2000 or should i just live with the extra weight because $2k is not going to make any difference?

The items i was think were.. (mainly because a friend got these things done for $1200
1. extracters
2. exhaust
3. muffler

i already have a muffler (cos i'm ricy hehe) so yeah. Would you suggest these items as well or somthing different? What brandnames if any do you suggest? and roughly the price?

I read somewhere that headers were good for the car because it allows the car to breath more.

Can you guy's recommend what i should do please? if anything at all. Keeping in mind that i don't want to spend more then $2k

Lastly somthing that i have been just thinking about is, should i do somthing to my air filter? because i know it doesn't really make much more power by changing it or is the stock VTIR sufficient.

Thanks

integra97
15-09-2003, 04:02 AM
I dont recommend powerchip, they are limited and arent programmed individually for each car. They are a mass produced chip. They arent worth the money.

For your $2000 i would look at your air intake and exhaust.

Exhaust would include hiflow cat and extractor.

Air intake i would look at getting a Cold Air take. Move your filter out of the engine bay and sit in the guard where you reonator is. So removing your resonator could be another mod and its free.

wynode
15-09-2003, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't get the powerchip either.

I'd use that money to go for a 2 1/4 full exhaust with 4-2-1 headers (so you have some torque) and get some CAI induction happening.

Shouldn't cost you more than $1500

ginganggooly
15-09-2003, 11:30 AM
powerchip is the devil :)

as for the rest, you get a pretty good gain by changing the header and exhaust. you can get 2.25" stainless exhaust with flanges, high flow cat, flexy and 4-2-1 mild steel header for $1200 from livo exhaust.

vti-2
15-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Powerchips are a waste of money. If you want an improvement in power on a budget the standard I/H/E option will give you decent results. :)

Hadean
15-09-2003, 01:45 PM
you can think about:

Suspension mods
Grippier tyres

or just go on a holiday with it.

Buddyclub
15-09-2003, 06:24 PM
clutch and flywheel combo and practice your launches. May also want to get some sussy and fiddle with weight distribution ;)

It'll do wonders hehehe

BMTDC2
15-09-2003, 09:26 PM
With a $2000 id probably make the engine breath better before id go to engine management....

If your after torque then 4-2-1 extractors and 2.25 inch system would be ideal...

Because the VTi-R intake manifold is quite different to that of the B16A and B18C-R it has secondary butterflies that open up for high rpm, the power curve is quite smooth and not as noticable as the b16a/B18c-r setup...

If you want high end power and sacrificing a lil bit down low, i suggest you consider 4-1 extractors, 2.25 exhaust and change your intake manifold to a b18c-r.

Either option will make your car breath better and you should see some decent gains... However tuning would be ideal for proper figures... And with that I would recommend a GReddy e-manage however this will blow over your budget of $2000

INFLYT
15-09-2003, 10:33 PM
I'd go with:

4-2-1 extractor's into 2.5 inch exhaust $1600
Pod filter fronted induction pipe $320
Realising your car just got stolen $Priceless!

wynode
15-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Who's car got stolen?

anyway...

I'd actually go 2.25 exauhst as he wanted some torque around town. However if you are planning more mods, then go 2.5" for a good top end (and slight drop off in torque down low).

ginganggooly
16-09-2003, 03:35 PM
With a $2000 id probably make the engine breath better before id go to engine management....

If your after torque then 4-2-1 extractors and 2.25 inch system would be ideal...

Because the VTi-R intake manifold is quite different to that of the B16A and B18C-R it has secondary butterflies that open up for high rpm, the power curve is quite smooth and not as noticable as the b16a/B18c-r setup...

If you want high end power and sacrificing a lil bit down low, i suggest you consider 4-1 extractors, 2.25 exhaust and change your intake manifold to a b18c-r.

Either option will make your car breath better and you should see some decent gains... However tuning would be ideal for proper figures... And with that I would recommend a GReddy e-manage however this will blow over your budget of $2000

you can't easily fit a type-r manifold to the b18c2 head. people in the states seem to like those skunk2 intake manifolds, but i dunno anywhere in oz that sells them, and the jg edelbrock ones are meant to be a tad too big for minor mods.
fwiw, the fastest integras in the world are using modified version of the stock dual stage intake manifold.

Ironfist
16-09-2003, 07:28 PM
so i'll probably go for

extractors 4-2-1 with exhaust at 2.5 inch? because the 4-2-1 extractors have more down low and the 2.5 exhaust is better up high? so would i get the best of both?

or

4-2-1 with 2.25" exhaust. Would this make my top end worse?

What brand name parts do you guy's recommend (within my budget) or should it not matter and just get the place to do a custom job?

Any recommendations to a place to get this work done in melbourne?

p.s after this there will prob be no further mods as i just want a bit more power to beat some commondores up those damn hills as well as complementing the extra weight of my subbox

toE
17-09-2003, 01:10 AM
Any recommendations to a place to get this work done in melbourne?........

just PM BMTDC2....i reckon he'll treat you good!!

eknine
27-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Hi
i have a 1994 VTIR
My main goal is just to add a little bit more power to the car to cater for the extra 100kilo's the subbox is making and also to make my car feel a bit better up the hills (torque)? or should i not spend the money at all because it would be just a waste?

Firstly Powerchips, i think the company is powerchip.com.au or somthing.
What do they do? because i don't understand how they can make your car get an extra (or up to) 20kw.

My friend who has a BMWis 1990 model bought one of these and had it installed in his car and it made a big difference. The car went from 0-100 in 9.8 sec to 7.5 sec (times are done by hand) but in any event it made the car significantly faster, just as fast as my car. I think vtirs do 0-100 in 7.5?? don't quote me on that.
So would there be a point in purchasing one of these things? and is it like hondata (not that i know much about that either)

or

If the decision to getting the powerchip is a bad idea what mods should i do to my car for under $2000 or should i just live with the extra weight because $2k is not going to make any difference?

The items i was think were.. (mainly because a friend got these things done for $1200
1. extracters
2. exhaust
3. muffler

i already have a muffler (cos i'm ricy hehe) so yeah. Would you suggest these items as well or somthing different? What brandnames if any do you suggest? and roughly the price?

I read somewhere that headers were good for the car because it allows the car to breath more.

Can you guy's recommend what i should do please? if anything at all. Keeping in mind that i don't want to spend more then $2k

Lastly somthing that i have been just thinking about is, should i do somthing to my air filter? because i know it doesn't really make much more power by changing it or is the stock VTIR sufficient.

Thanks

REMOVE THE SUB BOX!

Spunkymonkey
27-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Hahaha....

yeah...remove the sub box lol :wink:

I actually just put my sub box back in my teg after having it out for atleast 6 months lol.

I'd go with I/H/E as everyone has suggested.

eknine
27-10-2003, 03:32 PM
kekekekekee...i reckon for under 2k, you get pretty decent gain from I/H/E or go bling bling with JDM rims

b16a_integra
05-11-2003, 01:32 PM
get a cat back exhaust, a decent suspension set-up and check out my signature.

one more chance
05-11-2003, 06:41 PM
for $2000, forget the powerchip, and talk to BLKCRX here on the forums and he may be able to do you a deal on hondata ecu. However, admittedly they work better with other mods. If you wanna go local product, try EMS, you can get one installed and tuned for under $2000.

However, for that money i'd opt for a full upgrade on my exhaust system. I believe Chuck (ALLMTR) has a custm set of headers for the B-series engine....for a very good price and with proven results (OZ's fastest NA FWD good enough? ;) ) If not, try mugen replicas or something like that! Or maybe someone has a 2nd hand set of Toda's sitting around...