PDA

View Full Version : New system set up

Blaze
28-11-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm considering purchasing a new system for my Civic, but with all the products out there and my limited knowledge I have no idea what to buy.
So I was wondering about the factors that I need to consider when purchasing a head unit, speakers, sub and amp... Most importantly, with the speakers and sub I want to know what construction materials produce the best sound, as my current stock system works pretty well. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

mj3610
28-11-2005, 06:13 PM
wats ur budget

Bluish
28-11-2005, 08:47 PM
it really depends on what is your budget and what kind of music u listen to everyday.

for HU, preferable with at least 2 sets of RCA preouts with sub control, so you can have full fader control between the front and rear. some features like EQ or xovers also worth consider when u purchasing your HU.

front speakers are the most important component of the whole system IMO, no one can actually tell you what is the best speakers, you need to audition as much speakers as u can and decide which one suite your likings, also other factors like sound deadening and speaker position will affect the sound quality as well.

For amp, you can choose between 4channel for front and rear + monoblock or a single 4channel for front and sub and leave the rear from HU, depends how much u want to spend really. IMO i will only buy an amp with High Pass and Low Pass filter together with variable xovers. It also depends on what sub you wanna get and impedence, if you going to wire the sub in 2ohms then you need a 2ohm stable monoblock, as 4channel amp will only run sub with 4ohms.

good luck

vividjazz
28-11-2005, 08:55 PM
The construction material effects the way a speaker sounds sure but you listen for what sounds best to you personally. Just because a cone is kevlar doesn't mean it will sound better than a paper one, or a titanium tweeter sounds better than a silk one.

Ignore 'If Lightning Strikes' power ratining and match the RMS needed to drive your speakers with an adequately rated amp.

If your happy with a stock system then pretty much anything will satisfy as almost anything aftermarket will be an improvement.

EGB16A
28-11-2005, 09:38 PM
it really depends on what is your budget and what kind of music u listen to everyday.

for HU, preferable with at least 2 sets of RCA preouts with sub control, so you can have full fader control between the front and rear. some features like EQ or xovers also worth consider when u purchasing your HU.

front speakers are the most important component of the whole system IMO, no one can actually tell you what is the best speakers, you need to audition as much speakers as u can and decide which one suite your likings, also other factors like sound deadening and speaker position will affect the sound quality as well.

For amp, you can choose between 4channel for front and rear + monoblock or a single 4channel for front and sub and leave the rear from HU, depends how much u want to spend really. IMO i will only buy an amp with High Pass and Low Pass filter together with variable xovers. It also depends on what sub you wanna get and impedence, if you going to wire the sub in 2ohms then you need a 2ohm stable monoblock, as 4channel amp will only run sub with 4ohms.

good luck

^^ agreed, except for the 4 channel amp only being able to run 4ohm sub, which is incorrect.
And RMS power rating of any speaker doesn't define how good it is.

My advice is to set a budget and work within your limits.

regards
Lloyd

joneblaze
28-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Definitely budget is a big issue. Check out the "What System for $XXXX?" sticky. :)

Bluish
29-11-2005, 10:33 AM
^^ agreed, except for the 4 channel amp only being able to run 4ohm sub, which is incorrect.
And RMS power rating of any speaker doesn't define how good it is.

My advice is to set a budget and work within your limits.

regards
Lloyd

My apology, i should say most 4 channel amp and not all 4 channel amp

Blaze
29-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Budget is not the problem, the problem is my limited knowledge about how this stuff works. Anyway, the music I listen to is dance, house and eurodance. I was thinking about running 6" splits in the front and 6" 2 ways in the back because my Civic (ES) is standard with 6" speakers and I'll be running a sub so I won't need 6x9's.
Thanks for your help.

Blaze
29-11-2005, 11:19 AM
BTW, I was told that running 3 mono blocks is better than running a 4 channel and a mono block. Apparently it separates stereo sound better if you run all the speakers on the left side of the car with one amp and the speakers on the right with another and the sub on the third....

mj3610
29-11-2005, 11:25 AM
ok in this case defenitely go fo 12" subs, make sure u get a good amp and that the power ratings match (underpowering a sub is realli bad, overpowering is not a problem),
go for components at the front and at the bak dont buy 6x9 and full range speakers...

and remember SAVE UR MONEY AND BUY GOOD QUALITY STUFF DONT GO FOR ANYTHING CHEAP U'LL JUST END UP BUYING IT AGAIN...
p.s, take ur time, ask around everwhere for best advice and prices dont rush it, buy ur bits and pieces overtime...
too much to type but if u got specific questions about specific components of the system don hesitate to ask.
^^^ and the thing u said about monobloks: disregard that, just buy a good monoblok amp for ur sub and a 4ch amp to run ur speakers...

Blaze
29-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks very much :).