PDA

View Full Version : heavy duty or standard clutch???

OHHBBY
28-11-2005, 07:50 PM
i need a new clutch for my civic vti 94, i was juz wondering wot would b bettah, i heard pplz sayin dat i would feel no difference but i dunno, i thought that itd grip a lil bettah off take off or woteva ....any1 gimi any advice on wots better?

iamhappy46
28-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Heavy Duty is awesome. Actually feels a little lighter on the pedal but definitely has a better bite on engagement.
I recommend Exedy HD Clutch kits... www.exedy.com.au and see what kits they offer for your model.
Make sure you do not abuse it for the first 1000Km's and you will enjoy the clutch for many years to come.
IMHO: Standard is meant for granma's driving to the shops and mums dropping kids at school.

OHHBBY
28-11-2005, 07:58 PM
haha ye, i got a quote on a daycon clutch for bout 300...is that reasonable...and is it a guud brand?

bennjamin
28-11-2005, 08:02 PM
haha ye, i got a quote on a daycon clutch for bout 300...is that reasonable...and is it a guud brand?

i think u mean "daikin" ~ which is basically exedy too.

PM "TODA AU" in regards to exedy/daikin clutch kits...

iamhappy46
28-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Daiken Clutch is Exedy, just assembled in Australia instead of Japan.

joneblaze
28-11-2005, 11:25 PM
Check out Ebay US for Daikin/Exedy clutches shipped to Aus. Myself and friends have done this a few times, they work out ALOT cheaper.

To me the HD clutch feels very close to stock.

I had an Exedy Organic in the DC4...very bitey and pretty harsh.

Really is up to you. Buy the item to fit the application.

JDMTMY
29-11-2005, 05:34 PM
definately check ebay dude...i got a exedy clutch kit and fidanza flywheel for 620$ shipped from the US

spetz
29-11-2005, 11:22 PM
I got a heavy duty clutch and I would recommend it
It's from exedy as well

A bit heavier but you get used to it and feels normal after 2 days
It's quite good cuz after sidestepping the clutch on a hard launch it doesn't feel less grippy like standard clutches usually do

[R]
29-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Heavy duty clutches are a definite must if you want a better bite

chinkdood
30-11-2005, 01:13 AM
hmm.. i think u could even go a sports organic.
u really get used to it after a while :P
my fren jstu installed exedy HD. but id prefer the organic..
i actually want somethign heaveier now.. :P

n/a
30-11-2005, 01:37 AM
Check out Ebay US for Daikin/Exedy clutches shipped to Aus. Myself and friends have done this a few times, they work out ALOT cheaper.

where did you go for the install? or was it DIY?

iamhappy46
03-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Exedy from memory do not make the sports organic kits for D series motors so HD is the best you can get :(
It is pretty easy to DYI if you know how to spin a spanner and do the work yourself, if you have ANY doubts about it, get a professional to do it.
Make sure the flywheel gets machined and follow the instructions from Exedy if you do it yourself!

Photonic_Si
03-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Extreme make good clutches as well. On the same level as daikin/exedy. I priced one up the other day. 450 for a 4 puck ceramic brass button. bout as hardcore as you can get in a civic.

The guy on the other end of the phone giggled. "thats a pretty serious clutch for a honda. what are you doing, building a drag car?" "err, yes."

But they can be very shuddery, and you will notice how much more positive and able your car feels with an upgraded clutch.

joneblaze
03-12-2005, 11:38 PM
where did you go for the install? or was it DIY?

I went to Adrian Toda AU who was at Advan in Silverwater then *sigh*

Go to Hanny's for sure. Much cheaper.

alan
04-12-2005, 01:30 AM
just a little off topic, but what is the ups and downs of the organic and ceramic clutches as well as the ones OHHBBY is asking about?

thanks

iamhappy46
04-12-2005, 08:19 PM
organic, ceramic and brass faces give MUCH better levels of grab, if the pressure plate has the clamping force... down side is they tend to be either in or out in nature, to the point taking of at the lights or reverse parking becomes a nightmare.

Heavu Duty have more clamping force / more grab than factory spec clutches and very good for stock to 50% power increase cars.