PDA

View Full Version : Carbies on a EFI motor

Toby
19-03-2004, 12:06 PM
after watching MAX POWER The Beasts Unleashed at the start there is a MK1 Golf with a VR6 engine which are EFI but on this engine in had like 3 big webber carbies hanging of the side of it :?

I was thinking about it and thought I might buy a D16A3 and put a pair of webber carbies on it rather then adding all the EFI stuff to my car. Is it easyer to carbie a EFI engine then to mod the car to EFI standards?

fozee
19-03-2004, 12:59 PM
slightly off topic sorry, but..

But arent carbies harder to keep in tune than EFi, mainly with HP apps??

poid
19-03-2004, 01:06 PM
why in god's name would you want to go back to carbie's if the engine already has EFI?

Toby
19-03-2004, 01:17 PM
I dont really know :?

[[d a n n y]]
19-03-2004, 01:41 PM
carbies have more potential of making big powers than EFI

and it's easier to make more power through carbies than EFI

ITR's and some JGTC cars run on carbies...as well

other than EFI

thery r converted EFI to carby

poid
19-03-2004, 01:48 PM
why do carbies offer more potential? Carbies do not allow the fine tuning of fuel and other parameters that EFI does, i honestly dont see any reason at all why one would consider carby over EFI in a modern car. Especially when EFI is originally fitted

Rowie
19-03-2004, 02:22 PM
]]carbies have more potential of making big powers than EFI

and it's easier to make more power through carbies than EFI

No way man..... EFI has much more potential :roll:

[[d a n n y]]
19-03-2004, 02:50 PM
ok lah...hope ben sees this post and replies back

as he is more tech minded than me..

wynode
19-03-2004, 02:51 PM

Yeah.....hit a couple of bumps and you need a re-tune........hehe j/k

Rowie
19-03-2004, 03:05 PM
]]ok lah...hope ben sees this post and replies back

as he is more tech minded than me..

cant wait :D

fozee
19-03-2004, 03:09 PM

Yeah.....hit a couple of bumps and you need a re-tune........hehe j/k

when you hit a bump doesnt the fuel just fly up in to your air filter and clog it up??

lol

bennjamin
19-03-2004, 08:41 PM
cant wait :D

For one danny- you are not honky dood - only them and myself may refer to anything as " lah"

And ....to fuel this useless fire ....carbies are a low-tech inefficent old form of technology. But....given half a chance will make more power on the same engine that is usually EFI etc. Carbies are alot easier to tune , (even by ear apparently) but the point behind " more HP than EFI" is that they can run without limits. usually blowing up .
I know of some ZC's in the states runing low 12's at US elevation , with only back stripped and stock the rest. Im sure there is lots more potential too.....I also have a mate in Osaka who is experimenting with twin mikunis on his eg6 , running b16a with VTEC disengaged etc etc...

BUt hit a bump and the "mechanical injection" goes out of whiddy-wack !

Carbs are like women danny - hit them and they get all moody and spurt stuff out . Umm.....
There are so many reasons why EFI is the future...and carbs will die a " EPA" death ;)

Bring on Setanta or someone who has actually owned/driven a fine lil carbed beast :)

Toby
19-03-2004, 08:49 PM
I was just wondering. Thanks Ben :)

crx_16x
20-03-2004, 02:19 AM
Hmmm bennjamin i remember all of your posts on the zcresource about this.

Mugen made a DCOE manifold for the ZC.

Do carbs atomize fuel better?

bennjamin
20-03-2004, 02:44 AM
Hmmm bennjamin i remember all of your posts on the zcresource about this.

Mugen made a DCOE manifold for the ZC.

Do carbs atomize fuel better?

From what i have chatted with Will (will navaro of BISIMOTO fame :)) - that he has researched, and carbs are hugely more efficent at atomization - I *THINK* the test he ran was with varible length intake trumpets- one of a few inches for carbs - and one of some 3 feet long for EFI. . . to get the same effect.
So , it does show that carbs do atomize better :)

Gimmie ZC with a twin mikuni or even a mugen running bisimoto header and i will be happy :)

Rowie
20-03-2004, 03:26 AM
LOL..... Still, i the conclusion to all this is that EFI is much more efficiant than carbys :D

bennjamin
20-03-2004, 12:55 PM
LOL..... Still, i the conclusion to all this is that EFI is much more efficiant than carbys :D

*agrees* 8)

crx2gen
20-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Here's an example: Topfuel dragsters - R&D is being pumped into them to convert to EFI as its widely believed that if they can get everything working properly, EFI will improve timeslips. Until then, the older ways work best because they're not after fuel efficiency.

That said, the last two horsepower heroes at Summernats were EFI from memory, correct me if I'm wrong. Love the sound of say, twins on an L-series still :D

poid
20-03-2004, 02:28 PM
yup, last 2 horsepower heroes winners were definitely EFI.

Most of the high power V8 cars are EFI, the only ones that arent are the ones going for the old-school feel (ie big blocks)

Rowie
21-03-2004, 03:28 PM
I was at the dyno cage for the last horsepower hero comp..... good day, and the winner in a commodore twin turbo V8, won with something like 1300 @ wheels and even spun the wheels on the dyno :shock:

McChook
21-03-2004, 05:36 PM
I was at the dyno cage for the last horsepower hero comp..... good day, and the winner in a commodore twin turbo V8, won with something like 1300 @ wheels and even spun the wheels on the dyno :shock:

That thing a yellowy orangey/brown colour??

Was featured in ZOOM mag a while back... a dyno monster, does 11s apparently....

ginganggooly
21-03-2004, 06:15 PM
i saw the 11 sec run on a vid somewhere, the driver backed off like 1/2 way through the run.
looked pretty serious to me ;)

Setanta
23-03-2004, 07:53 PM
If carbies are so shit-hot, why did they dump them in F1 etc and go to EFI?

It doesn't wash with me. I've run triple Webbers (Datsun 240K-GT), twin webbers (TA22 Celica w. 2TG and Chrysler/Mitsu Scorpion Astron) and twin Dell Ortos (SBC) on different cars and even done a back-swap to carbs from EF (oh, and twin Keihins - whish I had the quads).

Unreliable, a pain in the arse to tune properly and no-where near at efficient in fuel delivery compared to programmable EFI.

Even more to the point - you don't have to worry about jammed floats, stuffed needles, correct chokes, balance drop-outs etc woth EFI... just a small fortune in replacing a single injector if it ****s up.

ALLMTR
23-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Bisimoto is correct, you cant get the power out of injectors that you can out of carbies.

Atomisation thru a venturi is a billion (roughly) times better. Carbies suck at transiant response, economy, tuning (and going out of tune) and just about every other area BUT when it comes to W.O.T power, they can't be beat....

bennjamin
23-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Will and the previous two boys know their Shizzle ;)