PDA

View Full Version : how to?? EF foglight switch

n/a
29-11-2005, 01:18 AM
hey guys, wanting to make a foglight switch, i have non-OEM foggies and want to DIY a switch for it, but im not really sure on where to start.

read that it's possible to splice the wiring with the parker lights, but is it as simple as just splicing 2 wires and adding a switch?

iceman91
04-12-2005, 12:17 AM
you need to connect the grounding wires to the car grounds..then connect both the positives to the switch and the other end of the swith to the battery. this way they will even work if the car is switched off. safer way to use the accessoies positive..then it will work only if key is either in accessories or running

crxzzR
04-12-2005, 11:07 AM
what power rating are the fogs rated @?
e.g. if it's something like 50w or so.. doing the calculations of [Power = Voltage x Current] u can deduce that the amperage is about 4.166[repeat] Amps [50w/12V=4.166A]..make sure the wire u use is suited to this otherwise it'll burn and melt and cause shorts..
anything drawing out this amount of current or more.. i would recommend using a relay..
make sure the grounding points are well cleaned.. otherwise u might have intermittent playups with the fogs being inop...

n/a
04-12-2005, 07:56 PM
hmm.. thanks guys, i've decided to get a foglight wiring harness.

i have no idea about the power rating, anyway of checking?

crxzzR
05-12-2005, 07:44 PM
check how many watts each of the foglights are

n/a
05-12-2005, 11:46 PM
how do you check?

bumography
06-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Hi
donno if this is a better way. but connect the foglights to the battery with a fuse.
and connect a LONG ground wire all the way inside the car, make sure its big enough.
That way, you dont have an extra live power wire inside the car + u can use a relay if you want to make it only turn on when the cars on or headlights on :)
kapish!