PDA

View Full Version : Exactly $2000 to spend on HU and Amp(s)? help needed asap plz Options

Per10d
29-11-2005, 03:06 PM
hey guys,

my car was broken into about a month or so ago and finally the nsurance company has fixed my car and now its time to replace the HU and amps that were stolen out of my car. It was insured for $2000, so that means i have that amount to spend on gettign a HU and one or two amps.

My previous gear was clarion DXZ-715 headunit and the amps were usamps 200 and 400. wish these could be replaced but its not going to happen.

basically i'd just like some suggestions as to what type of gear you'se would recommend. The store that the insurance company took my car too says he can get most gear, but from the looks of the place, it doesn't seem too have much gear at all.

not really interested in sony, pioneer, kenwood etc... better quality gear is preferred.

Cheers

micka
29-11-2005, 03:45 PM
what speakers do you have?
front; front + sub; front, rear + sub? which of these are going to be amped? are the rears, if any, going to be run off the head unit's internal amp? What do you want to achieve sound quality or just loud, or somewhere in the middle?

J-MuN
29-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Dave wait till you come down to Melbourne again and i'll hook u up with a system from JB man. Just try and hold up, it'll be worth the wait. :)

EGB16A
29-11-2005, 04:51 PM
I like the new JVC deck (kavx-1 i think), the one with the little 3" screen :D
i'd get that, and a kicker 350.4 and a kicker 600.1, only if u were running subs

Per10d
29-11-2005, 05:41 PM
yeh sorry i should have mentioned that...

i'm running Seas splits up front (5.25") and a kicker L7 12" 2+2 sub. no rear speakers at the moment but might get some for the passangers to listen to. if i do get rears i'll probs amp them seperately as i'm not really into using the decks internal amp.

as for what i want to acheive, mainly toward the SQ side but still a decent amount volume.

i used to run usamps usa400 to the sub (1200rms) and usamps usa200 to the splits (100rms per side).

what speakers do you have?
front; front + sub; front, rear + sub? which of these are going to be amped? are the rears, if any, going to be run off the head unit's internal amp? What do you want to achieve sound quality or just loud, or somewhere in the middle?

Per10d
29-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Dave wait till you come down to Melbourne again and i'll hook u up with a system from JB man. Just try and hold up, it'll be worth the wait. :)

I wish i could jules but i have to get all the gear from a certain car audio store cause its gonig through insurance. other wise i'd get you to hook me up when i come down next month.

p.s i'll give you a yell and let you know exactly when i'm coming down so we can organise a drink and you can intro me to some of your melb girls lol

J-MuN
29-11-2005, 06:10 PM
I wish i could jules but i have to get all the gear from a certain car audio store cause its gonig through insurance. other wise i'd get you to hook me up when i come down next month.

p.s i'll give you a yell and let you know exactly when i'm coming down so we can organise a drink and you can intro me to some of your melb girls lolyeah let us know when you're coming down :thumbsup:.

You already got the 12" Kicker L7? If so, then get the Kicker 04KX800.1 as your amp and the 04KX350.4 as a four channel amp. Run some JL Audio's for front and rears and you'll be set :D. You could get all your gear from JB Hifi where I work at yo. Cost prices, meaning you'll get more for the money you get from the insurance.

micka
29-11-2005, 07:55 PM
I wish i could jules but i have to get all the gear from a certain car audio store cause its gonig through insurance.
I'm a bit confused, you're wanting recommendations about what to get but you're limited to what a certain shop can supply. What brands does the shop have access to?

Per10d
29-11-2005, 08:26 PM
the owner says he can get most stuff, no idea what he means by this. if you look at the store he only stocks alpine, pioneer and a couple of other brands, but i'm assuming he has contacts with distributors and can get other gear.

i told him i'd needa few days to have a look at what i'd like to install and i'd get back to him...

ICACHA
29-11-2005, 09:44 PM
I'd be more inclined to say that he (the store owner) has either accounts for other brands OR can get other brands from stores that are authorised dealers for the brands hes not authorised to do.

The later is punishable by loss of accounts by the store that supplied the store that isnt an authorised dealer.

Also by putting the same thread on various forums, do you really think you will be any wiser to what you 'should' get or what you will end up with?

My 'professional' advise to you champ is go and see someone that knows what they are talking about (free plug for FHRX Studios) and get the right advice 1st time at the right price.

If that store your talking about (nameless at present) cant get what you want do you really want the head aches of warranty issues at a later date if something fails on you? And if insurance is involved dont you think they would of recommended you to a store they deal with rather than sending you off on a wild goose chase?

That is my opinion on your matter, take it or leave it as I only want to make you aware of how things work in the industry we love to call CAR AUDIO :)

Per10d
29-11-2005, 10:08 PM
First up... no idea what ur talking bout in the first paragragh, i'm just stating what the woker/owner told me... i have no idea what he's authorised to sell and what he's not. all i said was that he didn't have too much stock in the store.

I put the same thread in a couple of forums to get a wider range of responses, wasn't aware that this would be a problem. why does is bother you? i've been out of the car audio scene for a 6-12 months and am just interested in what people are using these days and what they might recommend.

Now if i had my way don't you think i'd be at Marty's already and saving all this hassle, but like i think i mentioned it is being done through my insurance company and they took my car to that car audio store, i was not asked where i would like to take it, otherwise i'd have taken it to FHRX studio's.

anyways, do you have anything to add to the questions i asked? i'd appreciate your input seeing as ur in the industry, rather then lecturing me about shiet i have no control over.

Cheers :wave:

I'd be more inclined to say that he (the store owner) has either accounts for other brands OR can get other brands from stores that are authorised dealers for the brands hes not authorised to do.

The later is punishable by loss of accounts by the store that supplied the store that isnt an authorised dealer.

Also by putting the same thread on various forums, do you really think you will be any wiser to what you 'should' get or what you will end up with?

My 'professional' advise to you champ is go and see someone that knows what they are talking about (free plug for FHRX Studios) and get the right advice 1st time at the right price.

If that store your talking about (nameless at present) cant get what you want do you really want the head aches of warranty issues at a later date if something fails on you? And if insurance is involved dont you think they would of recommended you to a store they deal with rather than sending you off on a wild goose chase?

That is my opinion on your matter, take it or leave it as I only want to make you aware of how things work in the industry we love to call CAR AUDIO :)

Chris_F
29-11-2005, 10:13 PM
hey man - i got an eclipse pa5422, and eclipse cd08051 that i've posted for sale in the parts for sale section. i think they are decently high end (retail for over 2g)

ICACHA
30-11-2005, 01:05 AM
First up... no idea what ur talking bout in the first paragragh, i'm just stating what the woker/owner told me... i have no idea what he's authorised to sell and what he's not. all i said was that he didn't have too much stock in the store.

I put the same thread in a couple of forums to get a wider range of responses, wasn't aware that this would be a problem. why does is bother you? i've been out of the car audio scene for a 6-12 months and am just interested in what people are using these days and what they might recommend.

Now if i had my way don't you think i'd be at Marty's already and saving all this hassle, but like i think i mentioned it is being done through my insurance company and they took my car to that car audio store, i was not asked where i would like to take it, otherwise i'd have taken it to FHRX studio's.

anyways, do you have anything to add to the questions i asked? i'd appreciate your input seeing as ur in the industry, rather then lecturing me about shiet i have no control over.

Cheers :wave:

It wasnt a lecture, its good that your seeing what is available today, but as I said and you have confirmed by saying that you dont have any control over the matter, why dont you then ask the insurance company who 'their' prefered audio stores they deal with are and speak to them.

Presently in the market today there are more brands than you can poke a stick at. Why not go visit those stores that the insurance company recommends (as mentioned) and see what takes your fancy.

If your lucky and find what you 'might' want to replace your gear with you can always ask the insurance company that you'd prefer to deal with so-and-so due to them having the products you wish to replace what was stolen, I doubt the insurance company will let you pick and choose from 2 or more stores.

Now if thats a lecture then good luck with your adventure in finding out how insurance companies work :)

TEG61E
30-11-2005, 10:08 AM
this thread looks like its not going anywhere.....

I'll post something relevant -
I agree with J-mun....the kicker mono and 4ch sound perfect. Just match up the wattage of the 4ch with ur speakers. 800WRMS sounds good for the sub...

Otherwise Soundstream are pretty up there for the amps...its a lil limited tho, so see if that audio place can get it in...

Good luck with the install buddy

Per10d
30-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks TEG61E... i like the kicker gear, used to run some of the older stuff.
Yeh i'm going to hassle my insurance comany again today to see if i can changre repairers for the audio.

ICACHA: i know what your saying mate, but the insurance comapny haven't really been helpful with the car audio part of the claim. What they actually said to me is that they were just going to put in 2k worth of gear and not even ask me what to put in. i couldn't beleive what i was hearing lol

will let you'se know how it goes today... keep the recommendations coming.

cheers

matt
30-11-2005, 07:00 PM
for the audio gear i would recommend alpine, i've used them for ages and have found them really good to use and they sound real good.
As far as the insurance is concerned just tell your insurance company you would rather deal with a store x ( which ever one you comfortable with) and they should be able to do it or else to pay you directly, i have worked in retail for the past 5 years and have generally handled insurance claims for customers myself and can tell you that they should do either of the above for you, just be aware that if you get them to pay you directly you will get a biy less than $2k cos the store would have given them a discount for it being an insurance job.

Good luck with it.

ICACHA
30-11-2005, 09:02 PM
January next year you can chew up the dollars with these 2 items :)

Italian Amplifiers
http://www.ms-technik.de/pics/sinfoni.gif
http://www.hifitalo.fi/shop/sivut/kuvat/sinfoni452x.gif

and

German Speakers
http://www.audio-apex.com/siteimages/logo-Rainbow-small.jpg
http://www.raysmith.co.uk/images/rainbow/CS265V-Phase-Plug_l.jpg

Fhrx
02-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Dude, tell your insurance company to go through us. ;)

VTECACCORD
02-12-2005, 10:50 AM

Listen to this man, I have seen pics of his work. Its simply amazing. The level of detail is nuts.

FHRX I hope to come and see you in getting a quote for an install sometime in the next few months. (boston sub guy)

gumbel
02-12-2005, 04:38 PM
im using SEAS LOTUS Reference RS165A for the splits with mtx sub, Clarion DRX-9675Z, and a 4x100w amp. It sounds flat and clear from low, middle and high frequencies. i spend around 2g (new speakers, second hand hu and amp) without installation and sound deadener. or if you have want to upgrade with xtreme SQ amp get one of milbert amp. :)
http://www.milbert.com/
http://www.seaslotus.com/referencerange.asp

Per10d
02-12-2005, 07:56 PM

Dood please don't think i haven't tried, i've been on the phone to my insurer twice already pleading with them to allow me to take my car to where i want to but they won't allow it. you'd be the first person i'd see if i could.

Their main reason for choosing the car audio store is because the dood is mobile... i honestly can't beleive the bad service they have given me. Can they even do this? i'm pretty new to this type of stuff so i don't really know.

matt
03-12-2005, 12:31 PM
What insurance company are you with?
i have never had a customer not be able to change stores to get the claim through.
tell them that you always get your gear through which ever store and that you not comfortable with the other place, which from what your saying doesn't sound like the most reputable place anyway.
dont take no for an answer, dont forget your paying for the policy so tell them your not happy and theyll help you out.

ICACHA
03-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Their main reason for choosing the car audio store is because the dood is mobile... i honestly can't beleive the bad service they have given me. Can they even do this? i'm pretty new to this type of stuff so i don't really know.

What ever you do DONT use anyone that is mobile!!!

Use a store who is/will/have been around for many years rather than someone who will disappear tomorrow.

Who have you seen so far?

What insurance company are you with? (so people stay away from them in the future)

Per10d
03-12-2005, 05:49 PM
they have a physical store front, but i guess they also do mobile work...

who have i seen so far?? umm no one, haven't had the time. Going to try call them again on monday and see what i can do.

AMMI

ICACHA
03-12-2005, 07:55 PM
ok guys, dont get your car insured with AAMI, if Per10d is having this much trouble you dont need to go through it also.

maybe the mods should start a topic on which insurance company so we know who treats us good and who doesnt.

i know that CGU are Honda's choice for insurer, unless it has changed in the last 4 years.

I'm with Shannons, they insure my car and stereo (when it goes in) for what it is worth not what other companies tell you.

I can get an easy $10,000 extra cover for my extras for a little over $300 extra and I must say they have been really good to me for over a year now. but age and experience does help too...