PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp or Oil Temp Gauges?

SINISTR
30-11-2005, 01:34 AM
Which would you guys get and why?

I have an Oil Pressure Gauge already and also a Water Temp Gauge, but thinking if an OIL TEMPERATURE Gauge would be more useful over Water Temp?

Let me know what you guys think and why...

thanks

mike

sivic
30-11-2005, 02:36 AM
i'd say oil temp as the oil temp will rise quicker than the water temp in the event of engine probs

JasonGilholme
30-11-2005, 07:19 AM
also don't you already have a water temp built in with the dash?? if so i would get an oil temp, if not have all three.

EK Civic R
30-11-2005, 09:55 AM
I think for NA cars its recommended to get water temp, oil press and temp..
If you have 2 I would say get oil temp as well..
As sivic said oil temp rises quicker and will also let you know if you have any probs with your car... very handy if you go tracking..

BiGANG
30-11-2005, 10:21 AM
i think both would be equally important if you go tracking. If you are looking for a diagnosis method the two guages you would want are oil pressure and water temp. Ie. If you start heating the motor up. Thats when stuff starts to warp especially with alloy heads and engine blocks. I remember i had my mate had a shitbox corona and i wsa driving it on the freeway, the needle on the dash started shooting up by the time i pulled over (like 2 seconds) the head was gone. Which is why im a bit iffy about the accuracy of standard guages.

I think water temp would be more useful than oil temp.

SINISTR
30-11-2005, 11:34 AM
I haven't installed any of the gauges in yet so thinking if maybe i can swap the water temp for oil temp before i install them...

Need to find an electronic Oil Temp autogauge now. :P

JasonGilholme
30-11-2005, 11:39 AM
They'll be in the short sweep electical section of their website. I was lookin at alot of them earlier today.

spetz
30-11-2005, 02:47 PM
I think oil temp
Cuz you know when you can thrash the car
Because even if the engine temp is up doesn't mean the oil temp is in good working temperature

aaronng
30-11-2005, 02:51 PM
You need both oil temp and oil pressure if you track. For the road, oil temp is the usually reserved for sporty cars like the MX-5 and the like. Water temp does not tell you much.

I remember i had my mate had a shitbox corona and i wsa driving it on the freeway, the needle on the dash started shooting up by the time i pulled over (like 2 seconds) the head was gone. Which is why im a bit iffy about the accuracy of standard guages.
I think that's because it was a water temp gauge. An oil temp gauge would shoot up much earlier than the water temp gauge, so you will be alerted earlier and have a better chance in saving your engine.

Hondavirgin
30-11-2005, 03:18 PM
so you don't have a temp gauge in your normal dash or you are replacing your normal dash gauges?

SINISTR
30-11-2005, 03:29 PM
All of my dash gauges are operational :)

Ive got a twin pillar mount and want to know apart from oil pressure which other would benefit me more.. oil temp or water temp.

Do i really need to know water temp in Centigrade? or can I settle on knowing that half way on my stock gauge is about 90 degrees and trust that or have the after market one installed?

EK Civic R
30-11-2005, 03:37 PM
standard water temp gauge is not accurate..
If you already have the 2 gauges just get oil temp and have all 3.. hehe

But if I was to have just 1 of the 3 I would go oil temp..
It's handy for daily drive cars, so you know in the early or winter mornings if your car is warmed up