PDA

View Full Version : Painting Brake Calipers

south
30-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I have finally decided to upgrade the dirt and grime finish of my '94 DC4 brake calipers to a nice blue finish, but lifting the grime off the calipers to a stage where its ready to paint is taking some time. Currently i am using a heavy duty degreaser and i've been at it for a while without major improvement! Others have suggested i use petrol as a solvent but i havent tried it yet. Has anyone any tips for the cleaning stages?

Also as i have no experience with the brakes, instead of taking them off and working with them independantly of the car, i have been masking everything else instead. I am a bit worried that i wont get a good spread when painting by masking everything, as it some areas might remain unpainted or be hard to reach. Should i take the calipers off? Does anyone have a good guide to taking the calipers off and painting them? Benjamin has a good guide for changing the brake pads on an eg5 (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5934). However the calipers arent completely removed. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

wkdteg
30-11-2005, 03:43 PM
ummm try using sum degreaser followed by a steam cleaner
i just started it and its comming up a treat

alzteg
30-11-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm planing on re-painting mine too and the wheels.

Maybe sand paper? or a steel brush?

I guess your following the article on team-integra?

EK Civic R
30-11-2005, 03:58 PM
I helped my friend do his..
The best way is removing caliper altogether, but if your worried about not being able to put it together than leave that thought..

We used degreaser and steel brush.. Steel brush really gets the gunk of the calipers..
My best advice.. Don't use spray paint.. It gets everywhere..
Use a tin of paint and a brush..
That way you can get into hard to reach areas with a small tipped brush and you won't have to worry about overspray and covering other parts..

Cold Fusion
30-11-2005, 03:58 PM
LOL i did that today!!!

i bought degrease, brake cleaner, and then the temperure spray paint.

i did it with 3 coats and i left the calipers ON while doing it, jut be carefle and put paper everywhere and if u do get some anywhere else se the brake cleaner to get it off.

mine are now a nice blue colour :)

mojo the flashy monkey
30-11-2005, 04:22 PM
yer i did my civics ones every fue months steal brush and some degreeser then so of that heet resistant paint dose the trick comes up rly nice carby cleaner works 2 :P