View Full Version : water temp sensor

Surrufus
30-11-2005, 05:30 PM
hey
just finished wiring up my new gauges
... well almost
the only set back is the water temp sensor
i have no idea where to put it
i know the DIY thread has a fancy bit of gear but wat if u dont have one of those... like me

any ideas or suggestions would b great

Sitwy
30-11-2005, 05:54 PM
u should custom make a T shape water temp sensor pipe! which u can put on the top coolent pipe ...
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6550/sen1fq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

n/a
30-11-2005, 06:53 PM
u should custom make a T shape water temp sensor pipe! which u can put on the top coolent pipe ...

where can you get one of those?

Sitwy
30-11-2005, 07:59 PM
my friend do it for me! I think most of the exhaust shop should able to make one for you! just bring the sensor with you! I try to take a close up photo for u

ECU-MAN
30-11-2005, 09:17 PM
in the past I have removed the factory sendor and fit the sendor for the guages in its spot.
this will disable your factory temp guage

bumography
01-12-2005, 12:32 AM
should that t-pipe be on that top hose or the bottom hose
pretty sure it should be on the bottom hose as thats where the water goes into the engine.

correct me if i'm wrong, my special mechanic put my t-unit on the bottom hose as i think thats where teh water goes into the engine.

Surrufus
01-12-2005, 11:28 AM

WOW!!!... thats incredibly HOT!!! :p
i want 1 lol

Surrufus
01-12-2005, 11:33 AM
should that t-pipe be on that top hose or the bottom hose
pretty sure it should be on the bottom hose as thats where the water goes into the engine.

correct me if i'm wrong, my special mechanic put my t-unit on the bottom hose as i think thats where teh water goes into the engine.

if u mount the temp sensor in the coolant inlet, ie the coolant has just passed thru the radiator and is about to enter the engine, then u will receive a lower temp reading than that of the coolant that is in the engine at that point in time.
so infact if a sensor was to be mounted wouldnt it make more sense to mount the sensor in the coolant outlet, so the temp measured comes from coolant just out of the engine?

SHWCARCIVIC
01-12-2005, 12:04 PM
if u mount the temp sensor in the coolant inlet, ie the coolant has just passed thru the radiator and is about to enter the engine, then u will receive a lower temp reading than that of the coolant that is in the engine at that point in time.
so infact if a sensor was to be mounted wouldnt it make more sense to mount the sensor in the coolant outlet, so the temp measured comes from coolant just out of the engine?

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

e240
01-12-2005, 01:15 PM
where can you get one of those?

Here

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4571533313&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

or you can contact Just Jap in Kirrawee, NSW.

I didn't go that route because I didn't want to cut hoses and add another weak link in the system. Instead, I tapped a hole in the thermostat housing and plugged the sensor there.

bumography
01-12-2005, 08:26 PM

yes but the water will always be hot when its coming out of the engine, and coolent has a max temp of what..?
having the water temp on the engine intake hose tells me how good my radiator is (i've had an experience) and.. also it moves a LOT! on the bottom hose, especially at the lights (slowly rises), thero fans turn on and it drops 20' in like 2 seconds..
I dont know, my past mechanic was a honda/alfa romeo pro, so i'm pretty sure he did the smart thing.

Surrufus
03-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Here

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4571533313&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

or you can contact Just Jap in Kirrawee, NSW.

I didn't go that route because I didn't want to cut hoses and add another weak link in the system. Instead, I tapped a hole in the thermostat housing and plugged the sensor there.

anyone know wat size the fitting needs to be for civic radiator hoses???