PDA

View Full Version : Clunking noise from wheel areas?

BiLL|z0r
30-11-2005, 07:17 PM
To continue the slight hijack of the 17" wheels on a std Euro thread.

I turned VSA off today in the areas that I know are make the noise and it still occurs. It sounds and feels like steering or suspension issues. (goes off and looks at the linked thread posted in the 17" wheels thread)

Also I've noticed at slow speeds the car is constantly creeking. Since I drive in heavy traffic a lot this bugs me to no end. Sounds like it's coming from the rear but I might be wrong. Any1 else have this?

BiLL|z0r
30-11-2005, 07:27 PM
I just read the other thread and seems to be a rear sway bar issue. My noise is coming from the front though so I'm still a lil confused. Waiting till my 10K service b4 it's looked at.

eurotrash
30-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Same prob. Sounds like its an old Valiant.

-I have no suspention mods
- OEM wheels

I took my car in last week and the first thing they came up with was powersteering pump? Anyways they replaced that. Noise still occurs. Next test drive with chief tech - He thinks it is the bottom couple of spring coils rubbing together - so they install some tubing or something on the springs. Noise still occurs. I take it back and they go over it for 6 hours to re- torque all the suspention bolts.....thats right ppl - noise still occurs - They use a chassy acoustiic locator thing-ama-jig and find that the radiator mounting beam has had a whack and is bent (due to girlfreind mounting curb) and that this is the source of the creaking noise. It requires a trip to the panel shop (not covered under warranty) prob cost around $300.

They had the nerve to ask for six hours labour costs to diagnose the prob. I rang the department of consumer protection - no worries - Im not required to pay - I didn't.

Hope this helps. Mounted any curbs lately??

yfin
30-11-2005, 07:58 PM
To continue the slight hijack of the 17" wheels on a std Euro thread.

I turned VSA off today in the areas that I know are make the noise and it still occurs. It sounds and feels like steering or suspension issues. (goes off and looks at the linked thread posted in the 17" wheels thread)

Also I've noticed at slow speeds the car is constantly creeking. Since I drive in heavy traffic a lot this bugs me to no end. Sounds like it's coming from the rear but I might be wrong. Any1 else have this?

If it is not the VSA activating take it to your dealership. The only other thing I can think of is to check the wheel nuts are tight.

I once had my old Mazda serviced and noticed some slight noise when turning. When I got home I noticed one of the wheel nuts was only finger tight.

Tobster
01-12-2005, 09:47 AM
It's not something basic like the wheel bearings need greasing or the disk rotor is warped and rubbing on the pads?

BiLL|z0r
01-12-2005, 07:08 PM
I've nutted the rear noise down to probably the rear anti-sway bar since that seems to be a common fault.
The car is only 7200km's old so I doubt wheel bearings. I don't think it's pads or rotors cause it's not a rubbing noise.
Regarding the front noise, I think it's something in the suspension on the front as it does it when reversing outa the driveway straight, no bumps, like a shock absorber moving or settling, then when you goes up the driveway it goes it a good push and makes the sound again.

aaronng
01-12-2005, 11:20 PM
You nutted the rear noise? :D

With regards to the rear creak, was it over bumpy roads or smooth roads? If it was bumpy or going up a sharp turn uphill (like into a driveway), then it could be the parcel shelf creak. Let your dealer know about the rear creak. My dealer had this device consisting of many microphones and a switchbox with headphones. The tech would listen for creaks and pinpoint the location while another tech was driving.

h22a accord
02-12-2005, 07:18 AM
parcel shelf creak? wtf?? lol.

aaronng
02-12-2005, 02:41 PM
parcel shelf creak? wtf?? lol.
Yes.... It's stupid... but yes......... damn faulty weld in the sheet metal. LOL. I was like WTF! when my car had the creaky floorboard sound from the back. :D

eurotrash
02-12-2005, 06:22 PM
aaronng - where abouts exactly was the dodgy weld -pics?

aaronng
02-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Here's a pic from the tsx forums.
http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tsxreardeck12oi.jpg

BiLL|z0r
03-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Link no worky

chosen_one
03-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Working at this end.

BiLL|z0r
12-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread but my noises have gone away. I had my 10K service yesterday and they fixed both the front and rear noises. I pointed out the rear noise when I booked the car in and when I picked it up then said they tighened everything up in the trear suspension components and the noise went away. Don't know what particular part was loose though.
Re: the front noise, I never said anything about it but it's gone too. Maybe they tightened the front suspension too. I also had them do a 4 wheel rotation and balance ($15 bargain) so maybe that effected the outcome.

PNR888
12-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Good to know that the problem is solved...
$15 for rotation and balance is a real bargain!!!
PS:
How much you paid for your Minor service at Gold Coast??
My car is due for 50000km minor service, it is a minor service, the best quote I got is $158... One dealer even quoted me $202...
My 30000km minor service only costed me $117, the same place quoted me $182 for 50000km minor service, I asked why there is such a big price increase in Minor service (both 0.7 hour labour). The answer I got: increase cost in labour, part, etc... Thatl's bloody over 50% increase in 1.5 years... way beyond CPI ..

BiLL|z0r
13-01-2006, 06:51 AM
Total of my service was $198 including the $15 balance and rotation. I thought it was a bit steep, but they fixed my problems, gave me a free loan car and the car feels nicer to drive so I'm happy. Gotta pay for good workmanship I guess.

BiLL|z0r
08-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Digging up an old thread again. My creaking noises are back. They went away for about a week but are back now. Got the car booked in Friday to have it checked again. I told them about the rear sway bar and parcel shelf issues other drivers have had last time I broght it in. The guy in the service front desk had never heard of the issue. :(