PDA

View Full Version : Civic Vi (EU) Headunit Install Help

futorima
01-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Hey everyone, the newbie has a question :wave:

I'm looking at buying a Pioneer DEH-5750MP For my 01 Civic Vi, but i don't really know what else i need (eg. wiring harness, extra stuff to mount the headunit, etc.) for the install.

On top of that, I've been scouring Google looking for how to remove the OEM headunit...but I still haven't found anything that tells me how to do it for this model...why couldn't they sell the Vi in the US and make it easier for me :(

Anyway, any help regarding that stuff and maybe any other tips or pointers (like if that headunit was shizen) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks heaps.

Illegal
02-12-2005, 02:43 AM
you should need a dash kit and a wire harness. Do you have a factory door lock system? On some honda's in the us that goes through the radio and you have to keep the stock radio in the car.(behind the dash)

futorima
02-12-2005, 07:58 PM
okay...after spending a few hours in the floor of the front seat ripping things apart (and putting them back neatly again) i found somewhere on the site that to get to the centre console where the head unit has to go, i need to remove the panel containing the gearstick/cig lighter. is this right or am i just going to be putting marks on the dash for no reason?

illegal - where would i get a wiring harness for the install? somewhere like supercheap or autobarn? and do i need one specific to me car or are they kinda generic? ooo, and after a quick lookaround, i think the remote locking thing only applies to 6th gen civics (mine's 7th gen...phew).

civiceg9
03-12-2005, 12:18 AM
The EU Civic uses a double DIN space, (stereo and pocket)
anyway u have to take the dash panel out around the stereo and gearstick area.
use a cloth and wrap around your screwdrive, try to use your hand and pull it out so you don't put scratches on your dash.

Autobarn adn supercheap probably won't have that stuff.
Go to Strathfield, JB etc and ask them for harness to suit your car, or you can just split the wires behind the harness if you don't want to cut anything.

Illegal
03-12-2005, 02:52 AM
I am in the U.S so I get my wire and dash kits from best buy. The install of the radio should take about 30 min.

SAMBO456
05-12-2005, 01:25 PM
When you buy your head unit, it will come with a wiring harness so you shouldnt have to worry about that. I have an Alpine (CDA-9835) head unit in my VI and i used ephatch.com for intsruction on how to install and remove the dash.

http://www.ephatch.com/resource/steoremv/STEREORemove.htm

futorima
05-12-2005, 05:46 PM
wow, i've been looking for weeks for a nice simple DIY thing like that, thanks so much sambo!

on another note...the new model pioneer head units come out in the next 2-3 weeks (according to one of the ebay distributors...). i'm just waiting for the specs to come out so i can see if its worth forking out another 50 bucks or so for the newer model...but they're kinda ugly...well, at least i think so (google pioneer DEH-5850).

Illegal
06-12-2005, 12:57 AM
When you buy your head unit, it will come with a wiring harness so you shouldnt have to worry about that. I have an Alpine (CDA-9835) head unit in my VI and i used ephatch.com for intsruction on how to install and remove the dash.

http://www.ephatch.com/resource/steoremv/STEREORemove.htm

It comes with one half, you still need the car specific half, then you wire them together.