PDA

View Full Version : difference between spring brands

PaZzMaN-R
02-12-2005, 08:24 PM
hi all,
i have currently been looking for springs to lower my civic and am very puzzled and can't find an answer to this question "what is the difference between spring brands". is it worth investing more on a better brand of springs vs a cheaper brand, if so whats the difference??
thanks guys n gals

BiLL|z0r
03-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Cheaper springs will sag more over time and have a harsher ride (generally, lots of factors effect the ride though). Kings springs are known for sagging.

sonic_Blastman
13-12-2005, 12:24 PM
sagging over how many years period man? 1 or 2 years?

Cheers

shmivic
13-12-2005, 06:56 PM
it really depends on how big your budget is and if you want quality products that will last ie: tein etc
most people will agree that king springs suck in general
i personally think that jamex are excellent for there price and durability

BlitZ
20-12-2005, 05:36 AM
I am kinda the opposer to the thought.. i love the king sprnigs.. dont think much of it as a performance spring.. but they are great in quality.. definitly the best in oz manufacturing. ...

and with saggin? when did your spring sag? over a year period? or just in the first month?

Domokun SPL
20-12-2005, 12:45 PM
What, better than whiteline?

King springs are just springs to lower cars, id hardly call them "performance springs"

Whiteline make good springs, thats why i bought a set.

BlitZ
22-12-2005, 08:46 AM
What, better than whiteline?

King springs are just springs to lower cars, id hardly call them "performance springs"

Whiteline make good springs, thats why i bought a set.

king spring is definitly better than whiteline in finish...
however they arent as performance orientated as whiteline...

what are your opinions based on? have u ever sat a king and whitline spring side by side..

and as to why whiteline is a good spring...

the whiteline spring would have like dents/chips.. the paint would have like overspray.. they spray a flea or somthign on my set... its like its sprayed outside from a can

i would not classify that as quality...

However, i would get the whitline springs only for its perforamnce advantages over kings or any other oz manufactured spring...

And as to bfyb...
Ill definitly chose a $90 set of 2nd hand ITR springs over whitleine anyday..

:thumbsup:

barefootbonzai
22-12-2005, 12:50 PM
everybody always rubbishes kings. They are fine for everyday driving.

egSi
22-12-2005, 04:04 PM
everybody always rubbishes kings. They are fine for everyday driving.

true that ^^

i have koni yellows with kings on my eg and they r fine, low and stiff like i like. i dont cart fine china round in the back so im not that fussy with ride quality. if u want ur ride decked(like me) its gonna be harsh.

also the 'perfect' sussy setup has got many other things to consider than just the springs.

shocks do make a big diff :thumbsup: as for saggin? i wish mine would sag and i have had them for ages.

Domokun SPL
22-12-2005, 06:26 PM
I agree, for everyday driving and everyday driving conditions Kings are fine. In reality, how hard can someone drive daily without massive tyre/fuel/car wear, a spring isnt going to be the first thing to let go.

What I am saying is that for a good spring, that will be coupled with good shocks and suspension setup (cmon, 90% people that use kings dont get shocks that are ment to be lowered, or, non standard), id swing for whitelines. In my experiances, whiteline have been 100% helpful if anything has ever gone wrong with a spring/swaybar etc not fitting or prematurly wearing. So BlitZ, i suggest you take something like that up with whiteline customer service.

With my friends that have used kings (cheap lowered spring) when we start discussing geometry, stiffer bushes, suspension setup settings etc, they normally get lost. This isnt to rubbish kings, but to just point out that many people that use kings use them because they are a cheap lowering spring.

BlitZ
22-12-2005, 06:38 PM
It cause there are heaps of those out there who bag king springs and have yet to ever use them (not targetting that about u though)...
King springs are popular amongst the rice commnity cause they are readily available... 90% of suspension shops will sell king springs... ... they both retail at RRP $300 mark .. jsut that kings are easier to get making them cheaper ..

infact their low springs are almost the same spec as whiteline control springs.. but from what i remember the lower progressive number is lower.. adn the high is the same,,.. think it was 240lbs front and 190lbs rears...

aozora
22-12-2005, 06:53 PM
I swear... you guys are such brand groupies. If it's not Eibach, Whiteline or anything that isn't a "performance" brand, it's automatically ****. Just because the ricer crowd uses them to lower, doesn't mean that you're too good to use them?
It's not only in this thread but many others which I've noticed the same mentality...

Anyway bagging asside... do a search, I can guarantee this has been covered before. :p

Shock horror btw... Whiteline rates/height of springs are sometimes very similar/the same as Kings :)

siir
22-12-2005, 09:16 PM
hey bro, just buy the springs according to the use of your car.. if u only drive daily, king spring is ok (esp for low ride)...better yet i go for dc2r springs 2nd (CHEAPER, good daily driving performance) and better coz its oem..made for dc2 car... they have tested the spring for quality and cost effectiveness... as from honda JAPAN products... i just think that they are reliable :) hope that helps

SiReal
22-12-2005, 09:21 PM
guys guys guys.. missing the whole point here. Why lower? haha...the lower you go, the less practical and more police attractive. Stock is the sh1t y0! Just like my car and all the others ones i've owned (also, I dont have money. ;))

Domokun SPL
22-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Well, ive only lowered my car 16mm on the rear and 24mm on the front and it looks perfect and is not overly low, infact, its still legal! yay! goal!

:)

Paul1985
22-12-2005, 10:22 PM
all the US guys seem to swear by Koni yellows and Ground Control shocks.
People are recommending this setup to me over coilovers??

amato2
23-12-2005, 12:46 AM
i have a kings + koni yellow setup on my car...i have nothing to complain about, i dnt take the car on trak...but when i do give it a burn around suburban corners the car sits in and handles great...my ride is comfortable except on really bad surfaced roads...

kings are good for everyday use where the is lower but still drive great

Alpine
31-12-2005, 07:13 PM
What about Pedders Sportsryder springs? Apparently they are rebadged King springs...any truth to that rumor??

barefootbonzai
31-12-2005, 07:36 PM
We've used both Pedders and Kings, and there's no real difference between the 2. Both good for a lower looking car and keeping it comfy.

Paul don't listern to everything you hear. I myself have used koni's and many of my friends, and even benjamin on here, and what did we all do???? We ended up getting higher quality coilovers. If you're serious about your car, you won't be happy till you get a decent pair of coilovers.

Domokun SPL
02-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Keep in mind everyone that is using aftermarket springs/lowered rides that when honda made the car, they engineered it to work at standard height. Of coarse there are "buffers" to that height, where the optimum is within +/- some limits, but when guys lower cars 3 inches (7.5cm) you are really pushing/beyond those buffer limits.

This will cause decreased handling and screw up the over-factory engineered suspension geometry, so keep an eye out for that. It may look cool, but it will handle like shit.