PDA

View Full Version : VTEC - ULP or PULP?

Jason
15-09-2003, 11:29 AM
hey just wondering if there would be much diffrence useing ULP to PULP in my 97 auto accord? i dont know much about that sort of stuff but somone said to use PULP cos of the vtech but i didnt know if it would make much diffrence since its not manual.

cheers

wynode
15-09-2003, 11:46 AM
I doesn't matter if its auto or manual as the engine is still the same.

If you are looking for more power by using PULP, then you really need to advance your timing a few degrees in order to take advantage of the higher octane rating of PULP. That said, PULP is a better fuel than ULP so i would advice using PULP over ULP.

I found that by using PULP and advancing my timing aroun 2-3 degrees I get around 50K's extra/litre and this worked out a few 0.1 cents cheaper per KM than ULP. Not to mention the long term benefis for the engine of PULP.

Jason
15-09-2003, 11:58 AM
how do i go about advancing my timing? do i need some sort of controler or mod?
im a newbie if u cant tell :P

Setanta
15-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Pay a mechanic to do it - otherwise you'll be up for a lot more ;)

Newb law #1: If in doubt - pay money :)

(Not a cheap shot - just a means of ensuring you don't destroy your engine )

toE
15-09-2003, 03:13 PM
geez..i gotta really change my timing belt soon.
keep putting it off.

i use PULP btw and honestly, there is a difference.Not on the highway, but in the city..save quite a bit really. I can go longer. And i drive a 94 accord, but the recommended gas frm Honda is ULP!!

poid
16-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Change your belt quick-smart, you dont wanna have bent valves like my bro did when his snapped!

I havent noticed any difference in economy using ULP, PULP or the 98 octane fuels

VTIs
16-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Here's another spin on things.. which PULP do you think is better?

Like as in Shell, Mobil, BP??

I feel a difference between Shell & Mobil. I use to think Shell was da bomb, but then i had to use Mobil one day, and i noticed that i had more pep at low to mid revs and that mileage was better per tank.

perhaps it's to do with use of ethanol or not.. cause i think the shell i normally go to, has signs saying no ethanol. but the mobil that i've been going to recently don't have does signs..

toE
16-09-2003, 01:34 PM
i've always used Shell cos of FlyBuys, but i got to using Mobil a coupla times and i, too, feel the difference.

But bcoz of the FlyBuys, I never look elsewhere unless i'm desperate.