PDA

View Full Version : Euro auto down shift slow or not at all?

MKI4EVA
04-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Hey guys, anyone here find the down shift on the auto quick shift thingy not going down gears or is very slow to engage the lower gears?

Took it for a spirited run the other night and on many occasions found i couldnt get into the lower gear before entry into the 2nd gear corners and after a few attemps gave up cause it was too dangerous going in as hot as the car could handle.

Slowly getting over the euros. Not so great but still good price.

Poeter
04-12-2005, 11:18 PM
well, it's not a car that's meant to be thrashed. So, indeed, it's not so great in this department.

yfin
04-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Solution - buy a manual - that way you can pick the gears.

What did you expect from the auto Euro - the response of a DSG, SMG or Ferrari paddle shift?

coladuna
04-12-2005, 11:35 PM
It's more ridiculous trying to drive an auto Euro the way you are driving and expecting that kind of result. After all, tiptronic style gearboxes are merely gimmicks in my opinion.

yfin
04-12-2005, 11:40 PM
It's more ridiculous trying to drive an auto Euro the way you are driving and expecting that kind of result. After all, tiptronic style gearboxes are merely gimmicks in my opinion.

Spot on - tiptronic is an auto gearbox - not an automated manual. It is electronically controlled so can sense when someone is doing something stupid to protect itself.

MKI4EVA
05-12-2005, 06:49 AM
I was thrashing the living day lights out of it and that's the only department I can whinge about so it's still a very good sedan.

the manual would be quite awesome.

so for the guys that replied above me do any of you have an auto?

BiLL|z0r
05-12-2005, 06:59 AM
I have the auto and notice the same thing. It's only there to protect itself from over reving. I don't use it that often for "spirited driving" as I've had too many speeding tickets and accidents so I've lost my "driving spirit".

MKI4EVA
05-12-2005, 07:02 AM
I have the auto and notice the same thing. It's only there to protect itself from over reving. I don't use it that often for "spirited driving" as I've had too many speeding tickets and accidents so I've lost my "driving spirit".

:thumbsup: :D

euro1978
05-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Spot on - tiptronic is an auto gearbox - not an automated manual. It is electronically controlled so can sense when someone is doing something stupid to protect itself.

lest we forget the countless failures that occurred in the prelude tiptronics that would crap themselves at about 80,000 kms

T'was a pleasant surprise just out of warranty period for many an owner.

Honda would be erring on the side of reliabilty with this one.